Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ditching Strava

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ditching Strava

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-18, 04:57 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
A coworker told me about it last summer. I went on one ride and deleted it. It doesn't provide anything a basic GPS watch won't in terms of data. It does connect you with a bunch of people trying to best you and vice versa. It also provides justification for the worst handlebar clutter since streamers. I called it a circle jerk and moved on.

I too have found myself in the minority on this.

I haven't had any trouble riding hard, improving, planning routes, and tracking elevation without it.
It can also be used with a GPS watch. That's how I use it, in fact.
Old 06-18-18, 05:25 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Is there anyone else besides me who has never had an ounce of interest in Strava?
Me.
Old 06-18-18, 05:43 PM
igosolo

Bikes: '17 Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod, '11 Cannondale Supersix, '13 Cannondale CAADX Disc, '13 Trek Superfly, '07 Cannondale System Six

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there anyone else besides me who has never had an ounce of interest in Strava?

What is Strava??

Seriously though, I have used it to find some really cool rides, but don't use it myself. I don't really have any friends who ride. I use Garmin Connect or whatever they are calling it now. That and my Excel spreadsheet that tracks just about everything. Much easier to sort and find stuff in Excel and also track maintenance and problems.
Old 06-18-18, 06:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
In my area at least, only the Cat 6 riders obsess about Strava. All the actual racers use it to keep in touch and share with teammates and friends. Maybe because they all already hold the KOMs!
Same here.

Most racers are probably using Training Peaks, WKO, or Golden Cheetah for actual training data. (And no one cares about average speed.)
Old 06-18-18, 07:05 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I used to keep track of my rides with a notebook, i.e. pen and paper. Strava makes all that easier and gives me more data to analyze. And I do like the social aspect of it. I can see where my friends are riding, and also interact with them online.

Strava is the only social media that I spend any significant time on, and I'm hardly obsessed with it. If you don't like social media I get it. If you don't like it for any reason don't do it.
Old 06-19-18, 04:00 AM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Yes, me.
Old 06-19-18, 06:33 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find it useful and amusing, and although there are some features and aspects that I do not care for, I figure it's up to me to make the best of it if I'm interested in the tracking that it offers and that power VeloViewer, which I really, really like. That's the main reason I wouldn't want to ditch it. As far as alternatives go, I figure: not worth the bother, and if they don't have Strava's flaws and annoyances, they have their own.
Old 06-19-18, 09:46 AM
Zuzus pedals

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've been a slave to average recorded speed as well (not overall average speed - I couldn't possibly care any less about that). I hate recording anything that's slower than 21+ mph average and almost never record stuff that's slower than 20 mph average (unless it involves getting way up the leaderboard on a climb that's guaranteed to bog down the average speed). I get around it by only turning on the watch for the faster portion of the ride. That way I can pooter around for over an hour, do a few pickups to warm up more, then ride at tempo effort or harder for a bit and noodle back home, still getting the satisfaction of keeping the average recorded speed where I want it. Most of my rides actually average about 14-16 mph because I go incredibly slow for a long time before I'm ready to do a focused effort. Some days I never get above 15 mph if it's not down a slope and I don't even bring the watch with me at all. So I only end up recording about 1/6 of what I actually ride. One day I did 74 miles and only recorded a little over 5 of it (just to PR a 2.3-mile segment). But it's no big deal to ride that much without recording it. Strava for me is exclusively about faster riding such as segments and hard tempo, not about racking up miles, elevation gain or "tracking trends."

I still have the problem of jonesing to go hard on something too many days in a row when I know I'm going to be able to have big tailwinds for segments. Using monster tailwinds is one of the drawbacks of Cat 6.

Last edited by Zuzus pedals; 06-19-18 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-19-18, 10:26 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
I do exactly the same rides every week. Strava is really handy for keeping track of times and totals.
If I wanted to, I could go completely anti-social, not see any of my friends' times, and not get any kudos.
I don't see any reason to ditch it.
Old 06-19-18, 10:21 PM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
https://swinny.net/Strava/ . What's *your* Eddington number (imperial)?
Old 06-19-18, 11:12 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin

Old 06-20-18, 03:36 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Climbing number is 436. Hour record is 24 Only have one KOM, and I'm the only one who's ever attempted it.
Old 06-20-18, 03:43 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Strava is just a useful tool for me to gauge my fitness relative to myself. I'm motivated by some local cyclists at similar ability levels but it's not particularly competitive. Just enough to get me off the sofa and on the saddle.

And a handy social networking app to keep up with local friends. There are lots of group rides at various levels here so it's handy to see what other folks are up to.
Old 06-20-18, 07:14 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
It also provides justification for the worst handlebar clutter since streamers.
How is that? Strava is why I've gotten rid of everything but a light (when needed) on my handlebars. Just hit record and throw the phone in a jersey pocket. It doesn't come out until I stop and hit finish.

Strava has brought a joy back to cycling for me. No more speedo on the handlebars always taunting me with average speed or cadence or anything like that. I just ride, enjoy the trip and then later see how I compare to the same segment from last ride or last year. it's great.
Old 06-20-18, 07:38 AM
NameTaken

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only been cycling since last year so I enjoy using it to track my progress. I'm not that interested in competing with others and I don't even have any friends on there but it is a nice feeling watching my times slowly catch up to the top riders in my area. When I bought my bike I was added to the LBS group so I do get invitations to group rides that way which is nice even if I don't join.
Old 06-20-18, 07:39 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
https://swinny.net/strava/ . What's *your* eddington number (imperial)?
Old 06-20-18, 07:56 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Me. Many I ride with are on there. I have no idea why other than to clutter their lives. I can keep up with them...lol.
Strava is the Facebook of cycling.
Old 06-20-18, 07:56 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
None of my friends ride bikes, so Strava is not necessary. I'm not interested in Strava and most likely never will be.
Old 06-20-18, 07:58 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NameTaken
I've only been cycling since last year so I enjoy using it to track my progress. I'm not that interested in competing with others and I don't even have any friends on there but it is a nice feeling watching my times slowly catch up to the top riders in my area. When I bought my bike I was added to the LBS group so I do get invitations to group rides that way which is nice even if I don't join.
I am curious what kind of group rides you go on without a speedometer on your bike? How do you know you are pulling at a constant speed when at the front of the paceline?
Old 06-20-18, 08:03 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Campag4life
I am curious what kind of group rides you go on without a speedometer on your bike? How do you know you are pulling at a constant speed when at the front of the paceline?
I did this a few times after my primary road bike(and Garmin) was stolen. It wasn't difficult
Old 06-20-18, 08:04 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I did this a few times after my primary road bike(and Garmin) was stolen. It wasn't difficult
Sorry, no way. You may think you are pulling to a specific speed but you aren't....lol.
Pulling without a speedometer on your bike is disrespecting your riding friends if you take pulls at the front. Also, many groups have speed limits in different areas of the ride. For example they may have a 25mph cap on pulling because more than that would drop members of the group. Without a speedometer you have no idea what speed you are riding.

Last edited by Campag4life; 06-20-18 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-20-18, 08:13 AM
NameTaken

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do have a bike computer that I glance at while I am riding. I leave my phone in my jersey unless I stop somewhere to take a picture or get a phone call from work or the kids which is rare. That said, I have yet to actually go on one of those group rides. Honestly, the people at the shop seem very nice and understanding of newbs but being on this forum has made me almost not want to go on a group ride unless it's with people I know outside of cycling. Sorry to say it, and this is in no way directed at anyone in particular, but a lot of you people seem like overly sensitive, judgmental ******** and I'm not the type that is going to just let a person I barely know go off on me because I didn't lead the pack properly. I don't want to be angry, I don't like me when I'm angry.
Old 06-20-18, 08:13 AM
noodle soup

Sorry, no way. You may think you are pulling to a specific speed but you aren't....lol.
Some people are better than you.

AZ is very flat, and if you hold the same cadence/gear, your speed doesn't drop. The first few times I had to ask if we were holding speed, but the guy behind me assured me that we were steady. The Saturday ride is the same 5-6 guys every week, and you get to know each other pretty well.
Old 06-20-18, 08:26 AM
luddite_68

Bikes: GT Zum & Fuji Gran Fondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Those who don't like the social aspect of Strava might want to try a free subscription to Training Peaks.

Training Peaks is all business, no drama.

-Tim-
I agree. I use both. I use TraininPeaks to track my progress and I use Strava to be amazed by how much time everyone else has to cycle.
Old 06-20-18, 08:29 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Easy guys, easy . . . . no need to get into a tiff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.