Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Tire Day - Specialized Armadillo Elites

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-18, 01:41 PM
NameTaken

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I picked up my Contend 1 about 2 months ago and have racked up about 700 miles. Seems like the last 200-300 miles or so I was getting punctures every other ride so I picked up these Armadillos. I researched before hand so I was expecting a rough ride, lower speed, tougher hill climbs and a struggle to get them mounted, all of which I decided was acceptable if I could quit spending 20 minutes of my already limited ride time changing tubes every 40 miles or so.

I have to say, it's really not all that bad. I got them mounted without using any tools and was up and ready to ride in about 15 minutes. I live in a fairly hilly area and really didn't feel like I was struggling any more than normal. I easily hit 21 mph (fast for me) on a straight away and maintained it for the full 3 miles breaking my own PR. I immediately noticed how grippy they were in comparison to the stock tires I replaced. If anything, these give me a smoother ride than what I had before.

In conclusion, These are the best tires I have ever had - and I've had 2. I've never rode on a good racing tire but I'm sure they are smoother and faster because the internet told me so but for my needs these are everything I was asking for. If they live up to the hype and don't flat once a week they will have paid for themselves in 2 months. The Giant SR-2 tires that came with my bike must be absolute crap though because the bike as a whole just feels better now.
Old 07-30-18, 02:50 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 710 Posts
I rode with Armadillo Elites on my commuter/foul weather bike for 11 years. I put probably 30,000 miles on the bike...and only got two flats in all that time. (One time was because some vandals had scattered nails & tacks across the bike lane right where it makes a sharp turn, so I was leaning into the curve and managed to miss the tread and puncture the sidewall! The other time was when I rode over a hacksaw blade.) I changed the Armadillos Elites twice in that time, so I was getting close to 10k miles on a set before they'd wear out (usually the bead would start to separate from the sidewall around that time.

In retrospect, they really did ride like garden hoses...but on a commuter/foul weather bike, that's such an acceptable compromise it was a total no-brainer. I never regretted having those tires on that bike.
Old 08-05-18, 02:17 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
I have them on my Roubaix elite. Approx 2500 miles on them with no flats. They ride as well as the original tires that came on the bike. I ride a lot by myself and do not like to walk or repair a flat on the side of the road. I also ran armadillos on my previous bike for about 10,000 miles. Same results.