Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

prescription goggles for rain and wind?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-23, 12:58 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts

I want some glasses that will keep the rain out of my eyes and the wind in winter. it would be best to have transition lens so they are not dark in the dark. what do you recommend that's not too expensive.
Old 10-10-23, 01:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Safety Glasses. With a diopter if needed for reading your cyclometer, phone or what have you. Get several from lightly tinted yellow to dark coffee tinted for really bright sun. And also clear for night time.

If you don't need the reader, then you can get them online for less than $2.00 per pair. If you need the bifocal ones for reading then depending on how fussy you are, $5.00 per pair or more.

Buy a dozen and you won't worry if one pair hits the road and you step on them or run over them while trying to retrieve.

I've ordered from this place for most of this century.... https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bif...afety-glasses/

I never liked transition lenses. They never seemed to work as intended for me. But I gave up on them in the previous century. So maybe they are better now.
Old 10-10-23, 01:17 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
I don't know what your definition of "not too expensive" is, but you may want to give these guys a call to see if they can do a transition lens.
HilcoŽ T-Zone Sport Goggle - Prescription Available | SportRx
Old 10-10-23, 01:28 PM
fooferdoggie 

I mainly want them to keep the rain and cold wind out of my eyes. so they need to seal somewhat. otherwise my regular glasses are fine. I hate changing glasses so these are for when it rains and if it is really cold. when rain gets in my eyes they tear up and get blurry. I ride in all weather and the rain and the rain at night. transition lens would be ideal so I have one pair for day and night.
Old 10-10-23, 01:48 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Well maybe you want goggles to put over your current glasses. I don't know how that would work. But you can google up goggles. Or get them at the same place I linked for the others.

While I was pretty sure you meant goggles in the title, your post ask for glasses.
I want some glasses ​​​​​​​
Old 10-10-23, 01:54 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Iride01
Well maybe you want goggles to put over your current glasses. I don't know how that would work. But you can google up goggles. Or get them at the same place I linked for the others.

While I was pretty sure you meant goggles in the title, your post ask for glasses.
I tired goggles over but that was a real hassle. the rain is the real issue. I ride so much in the rain.
this may be the only solution
https://www.caglasses.com/clearwater...ng-goggle-blue
Old 10-10-23, 02:01 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Oh wow. You are talking about something pretty specific when you say goggles. And not the basic type of goggles that I and I think others will imagine.

I have to give you a lot of cred though if you routinely ride in such conditions. While I ride in the rain when it happens during a ride, I certainly have never ridden in the rain enough... compared to what you must be riding in.

Good luck. I have no recommendation for those conditions.
Old 10-10-23, 02:15 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
If you need proper prescription glasses, not readers; I've had good results with Zenni Optical online.
Their selection is decent but not huge, but if you have a pretty straightforward prescription and don't go crazy with the add-ons, you should be able to get what you're asking for for about $100 bucks. They have protective safety glasses, but a sporty wrap around sunglasses frame should do most of what you want as well.
You do need to have your full prescription, including PD, and the sizing information from your current frames so you can pick out what'll fit right. Their online guides do a pretty good job of helping you figure that out

Their "Transition" lens doesn't seem to get as dark, as quickly as the ones from my optician, but they seem to work fine when you're wearing them.

I have a pair of Wiley-X I had made by my optical shop for work (PPE required) : Full-wrap, Z-87+ impact rated, scratch resistant, photo chromic tint, all the bells and whistles; they were close to $400 (my vision plan benefit covered about half of it).
Old 10-10-23, 02:23 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Iride01
Oh wow. You are talking about something pretty specific when you say goggles. And not the basic type of goggles that I and I think others will imagine.

I have to give you a lot of cred though if you routinely ride in such conditions. While I ride in the rain when it happens during a ride, I certainly have never ridden in the rain enough... compared to what you must be riding in.

Good luck. I have no recommendation for those conditions.
ya I can end up riding 3 or 4 times in the rain a day for sometimes weeks at a time. most of the time water does not get to my eyes. so maybe a large pair of cycling or such glasses will do it. Plus I cant unlock my phone with my face with wet glasses so having a change of glasses may be a nice thing when I am done riding.
Old 10-10-23, 02:27 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
If you need proper prescription glasses, not readers; I've had good results with Zenni Optical online.
Their selection is decent but not huge, but if you have a pretty straightforward prescription and don't go crazy with the add-ons, you should be able to get what you're asking for for about $100 bucks. They have protective safety glasses, but a sporty wrap around sunglasses frame should do most of what you want as well.
You do need to have your full prescription, including PD, and the sizing information from your current frames so you can pick out what'll fit right. Their online guides do a pretty good job of helping you figure that out

Their "Transition" lens doesn't seem to get as dark, as quickly as the ones from my optician, but they seem to work fine when you're wearing them.

I have a pair of Wiley-X I had made by my optical shop for work (PPE required) : Full-wrap, Z-87+ impact rated, scratch resistant, photo chromic tint, all the bells and whistles; they were close to $400 (my vision plan benefit covered about half of it).
I just got a new prescription so I have the info my lens cost about 450 with all I need. but I dont need quite all of that for riding. what I need is a hydrophobic Coating to keep the water from sticking. I have tried rainx and such on a visor but you dont have the speed to cause the water to run off well.
Old 10-10-23, 02:55 PM
fooferdoggie 

this looks the way to go about 250 with what I want in lens.
https://www.caglasses.com/matrix-mou...sports-glasses

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 10-11-23 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-10-23, 04:44 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I just got a new prescription so I have the info my lens cost about 450 with all I need. but I dont need quite all of that for riding. what I need is a hydrophobic Coating to keep the water from sticking. I have tried rainx and such on a visor but you dont have the speed to cause the water to run off well.
A lot of the vendors offer a water repellent coating as an upgrade (I know Zenni does)

I’ve had decent luck with original Rain-x on glass, but their plastic treatment doesn’t seem as effective. I got better results (on windscreens and helmet visors) with carnuba wax (liquid or paste) buffed out with a soft microfiber.
Pledge polish, too, though it doesn’t last as long. Used to spray it on the down tube, chain stays and fork crown, to keep mud / crud from building up on wet rides

Last edited by Ironfish653; 10-10-23 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-11-23, 06:24 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I got a pair of safety glasses from GlassesUSA.com. They look like regular semi-wrap around sunglasses. I have progressive lenses, but I do not like, or use, transition lenses. They do not get dark enough for me, and they do not reduce glare. Also, depending on the sunlight environment, like when driving in a vehicle, they do not always darken when it is needed. I go for polarized lenses, never had a problem with them while riding a bike. Light brown and amber work very well in lower light conditions.
Old 10-11-23, 06:37 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
Have you tried just getting some side shields for your regular glasses, similar to what you find on sunglasses used on snow to keep light from getting to your eyes for the sides? They do sell those in clear plastic, probably a few darker shades, too. I used to have some and they worked quite well on snow, never tried them while riding. FWIW: Not sure where you are, but where I live it gets down in the high 30F's on winter mornings and my eyes seem to adapt to the 10-15mph 'wind' I create after about the first mile while just wearing my regular prescription glasses with no side shields or any type of 'goggles.' If I'm out at mid-day I usually just use a pair of sunglasses.

I avoid the rain if at all possible, but if I get stuck in it I just use the good ol' 'finger wipe' on the lenses once in a while to clear what I can.
Old 10-11-23, 09:24 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
How about a pair of AN6530s? They are quite comfortable, seal nicely, are ventilated and use optical glass. You can get them clear or tinted green or orange. And you'll look pretty badass wearing them.

EDIT: Getting a prescription for them might be difficult....

Last edited by smd4; 10-11-23 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-11-23, 09:53 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I mainly want them to keep the rain and cold wind out of my eyes. so they need to seal somewhat. otherwise my regular glasses are fine. I hate changing glasses so these are for when it rains and if it is really cold. when rain gets in my eyes they tear up and get blurry. I ride in all weather and the rain and the rain at night. transition lens would be ideal so I have one pair for day and night.
When you say "transition" glasses - you're talking about photochromatic lenses that change from light to dark, correct? As opposed to bifocal lenses that transition from reading to distance?

I am a big fan of Rudy Project glasses - I have a pair of photochromatic lens glasses that I use in the winter and for night riding, rainy commuting, etc. They work great and go from clear to super dark very quickly. They have options for prescription lenses as well. Might be worth checking out their website. These aren't cheap though...
Old 10-11-23, 10:11 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
check out oakley maybe https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product...38&rxcnav=Type

for kayaking I use this on my sun glasses for anti fog not perfect https://www.amazon.com/Microfiber-De...s%2C136&sr=8-5

Old 10-11-23, 10:28 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by msu2001la
When you say "transition" glasses - you're talking about photochromatic lenses that change from light to dark, correct? As opposed to bifocal lenses that transition from reading to distance?

I am a big fan of Rudy Project glasses - I have a pair of photochromatic lens glasses that I use in the winter and for night riding, rainy commuting, etc. They work great and go from clear to super dark very quickly. They have options for prescription lenses as well. Might be worth checking out their website. These aren't cheap though...
transition is the color change and progressive are the bifocals or really trifocals. even though my eyes are pretty sensitive to light my regular glasses turn dark enough. the only time I have a problem is when the sun is going down and I am riding into it. But I dont think I want to have to change glasses unless the weather is bad it just becomes a hassle. I ride way too often often at least 3 times a day often more.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 10-11-23, 10:54 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I've been riding in all weather with glasses forever. I am toning it down some now as I have retired and an old enough and fragile boned enough that crashes break stuff and wet = higher probability of crashes but I have done a lot of wet (and cold) miles. In the cold, I've often struggled with fogging and bad fogging means seeing nothing, far less than the worst of the simply wet. So I've stayed with simple eyeglasses that I can wipe both sides with my fingers if they do fog.

My recent eyeglass purchases have also been my best. Doesn't hurt at all the the prices are excellent also. Costco. I am using Bulova Apache Junction frames for my regular (clear) glasses and Ray Ban sun glass frames and polarized grey lenses for my sunglasses. I choose frames for their good temples and high (squarish) upper outside corners so my helmet mirror is completely inside my prescription. (And I don't use progressives!)

I used Lenscrafter for years. Costco (well, the outfit they use) appears to grind the glass to better tolerances. All around, a better experience, never mind a lot cheaper.

Edit: All my glasses are bifocal. Trifocals I find are less good at everything, have too many lines, are tougher to judge down stairs. Harder to read. I combine any two of distance, "office" and reading to get glasses that work outside and on the bike (distance and office; both clear and sun glasses) and at home (office and reading). I spent one year on progressives and they drove me nuts. The world looked distorted. I had to turn my head to look straight at anything I really wanted to see. Mirrors for both bike and car were seen at low resolution. Once I got used to the line on the bifocals, stairs became easier. (Never easy but that's my head injury of many years ago. Erased all ability to go down two steps at a time; my love my first 24 years. Sucks.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 10-11-23 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-11-23, 11:43 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
My prescription glasses are so specialized there are only a couple of labs in the country that can grind them. My last pair cost $1000 and that was with nothing special added to keep the cost down. I ride in the same city the o.p. does. Yep. It's murder in the rainy season if you are a year round rider. I use Solar Shields fits over sunglasses/goggles and I'm recommending them. I keep two pairs in regular tint and a pair of Amber night tint, (wish they had a truly clear), on hand at all times. You can get them on Amazon but I just pick them up at my local supermarket when I lose a pair. I've lost countless pairs but I still doubt I have reached the cost of one pair of those specialty goggles, especially since they aren't going to grind anything stronger than six diopters or thereabouts. I need 19 to 20 diopters plus astigmatic rotations and they are just not up to that stuff.
Old 10-12-23, 08:14 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by msu2001la

they might be the way to go on more normal days. since they have so many things I have to have added to my glasses it may not be that expensive. all I would have to do is buy just plain lens without all the coatings and photochromatic adding to the cost. how mcc heater are the colored lens over the photochromatic ones?
Old 10-15-23, 09:00 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I rub a good low abrasive car wax on glasses to cut fog and cause water to bead off.

The old Oakley M frames are a good starting point. it is possible to get them done in perscription.

I have a pair of heavy duty glasses like NFL players sometimes use, they are OK but I think on the bike the ventilation behind the lenses is important to keep the fog buildup to a minimum.

/markp

Last edited by mpetry912; 10-15-23 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-25-23, 09:07 PM
fooferdoggie 

got them today. I should have just gotten single vision no need for progressives while riding. they need a bit more curve to seal well but our ride turned into a lotto rain and for the most part I only got a tiny bit of water on one eye.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 10-26-23, 03:27 AM
Dictatokerr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hey there! I totally get what you mean. I'd suggest checking out some sporty or motorcycle glasses. They often have anti-fog coatings and transition lenses. Not too pricey, and they work great for winter weather.
Old 11-06-23, 09:35 PM
fooferdoggie 

I added a small visor to my helmet and that keeps the rain from getting under my glasses. the vents on top would let a few drops in and that caused most of the fogging when I stopped.
I both some of the Rudy project glasses and the prescription adaptor but I was unhappy with them. I had glair in the daylight with them a the adaptors shape did not let me use progressive lens. to get rude project glasses to work for me it would cost 800.00 thats way too mcm ht send on riding glasses. for 220 I can get them from the same company I got my rain glasses from. Debating on really sunny days or when I am coming hi=ome and the sun is going down it's really hard to see. wondering of polarized lens would work best or mirrored lens?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.