Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Unknown Cannondale

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Unknown Cannondale

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-23, 11:35 PM
Hansi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Unknown Cannondale

Hi Guys... a very, very long time ago, I think sometime in the early 1980s, I was living in Vienna, Austria and was already a totally addicted mountain biker. I was sitting reading a mountain bike magazine and almost fell off my chair with excitement when I saw a full page add for a new Cannondale Mountain bike. It stated that 2 bikes were being sent to London and it showed a large photo of one of them... a bright yellow bike with a 24" rear wheel and 26" front. It had shortened chain-stays for more power and was fitted out with Sun Tour components and Fred Cunningham roller brakes. I could hardly contain myself as I, and nobody else, had ever seen such a beauty! I phoned the bike shop in London, which was right next to Waterloo Station, and reserved one of the bikes, the other one being bright pink. I then flew to London to pick it up. Everywhere I rode it people stopped and stared or stopped me and asked about it, it was amazing. I still have it but I changed a few of the components so that my wife could;d ride it. A couple of weeks ago I wrote to Cannondale in the US to see if they had any details about it as I have never seen another one like it. They wrote back and said that they have never heard of it! I sent them the frame number and photos but they haven't got a clue. What I remember about the add in the magazine is that it stated that these frames were hand welded and each joint lovingly rubbed down by hand in the tiny, disused railway station where they were turning out only one or two bikes each week. The serial number is stamped underneath the righthand side chain stay, which is unusual too. US Cannondale has suggested that these 2 bikes could have been prototypes as they have no records, etc. and bright yellow or bright pink are not. Cannondale colours. Anyway, I'm not allowed to post photos until I have made 10 posts but what do you think, any ideas? Cheers, Hansi
Likes For Hansi:
Old 12-09-23, 01:32 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
The 24/26 wheel combination was the SM-series MTB, which continued until ~1987, including the RollerCam brakes.
Supposedly the smaller wheel enabled a shorter wheelbase , for better traction and maneuverability on the steep, technical trails of the eastern U.S, where they were based.

Yellow and (less frequently) Pink have featured off and on in the catalog (lots of yellow in the 90s) and I recall a berry-pink Road bike (a early ST-, maybe?) Keep in mind, that pre-1990, Cannondale was pretty much a boutique maker, and they also sold a lot of bikes as near-custom bare framesets, so it’s not uncommon to find one that doesn’t match up with the catalog.

SN# under the chainstay was the normal location for pre-1992. VintageCannondale.com has a pretty good database and SN# decoder to get you started
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 12-09-23, 01:35 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Below is where you can find old Cannondale catalogs. Cannondale didn't manufacture bikes until 1983. But 1984 was the first time they were included in the main catalog.

In 1984 they offered an ST300 and ST500 Touring bikes and the SM300 and SM500 All-Terrain bikes. The ATB's were equipped with a 24" rear wheel and 26" front wheel.

Here is a link to their catalogs...

https://vintagecannondale.com/catalog/

John
Old 12-09-23, 01:41 AM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 139 Posts
Serial number on the chain stay places the bike at 1986-1992.

Serial number info

In 1987 both pink and yellow were available. The pink as a SM800 was available with the wheel combination you mentioned. The SM500 for that year was available in yellow. But not that wheel combination.

1987 catalog

For 1986 there was a SM700 available in yellow with that wheel combination.

1986 catalog

But I find no reference for those brakes. None of my information is first hand. And from what I’ve learned about Cannondale is catalogs don’t always match production. Another caveat and likely a big one is bikes for export may be completely different than what was available in the US in any given year.

Last edited by IdahoBrett; 12-09-23 at 01:46 AM.
Old 12-09-23, 03:22 AM
Hansi

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks so much for this information Ironfish, it's quite amazing that nobody at Cannondale in the US could tell me this! Anyway, it's good to know that this model did actually exist and I have always also wondered who bought the other one, the yellow one!

Cheers, Hansi
Old 12-09-23, 03:25 AM
Hansi

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks very much John, I have always loved this bike and it's great to finally know the details! Thanks also for the link to their catalogs...

Cheers, Hansi
Old 12-09-23, 03:32 AM
Hansi

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all that information Brett, it's much appreciated. Yes, the "cunningham' brakes are brilliant and still work like new. They were great for a sort of quick release, allowing for wide knobbly tyres to pass through and allowing the wheel to be quickly removed. Cannondale were obviously trying out the market in the UK by sending those two bikes over to London, I was so lucky to snap one up almost the day after they arrived! Thanks for the links too, very interesting...

Cheers, Hansi
Likes For Hansi:
Old 12-09-23, 06:58 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Pic Assist - Picture by Hansi | 31989646 | (bikeforums.net)

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 12-09-23, 09:16 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
It doesn’t surprise me that Cannondale US knows little about the older bikes. The company was not originally a bike manufacturer, became successful, and then it tangled in court with Gary Klein over the use of oversized aluminum tubes. Its downfall was sojourning into motocross. This lead to bankruptcy. However the bicycle division was bought out and continued although it has changed hands over the years.

There is a lot of info online. I bought my Criterium frame (only) new for $100. I was told by the shop at the time that due to the result of the Klein lawsuit, they couldn’t sell them as complete bikes and were just trying to get rid of them. Can’t verify if that was true, but $100 was a great deal even back then.

You can also find info on the court case online. My understanding was the use of oval seat stays was the only aspect of the design found in favor of Klein. Turns out the oversized aluminum tubes were based on a college project from the 70’s so Klein could not claim they were proprietary.

John
Old 12-09-23, 10:31 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 3,765 Times in 1,844 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-26-front.html
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 12-09-23, 11:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by IdahoBrett
Serial number on the chain stay places the bike at 1986-1992.

Serial number info

In 1987 both pink and yellow were available. The pink as a SM800 was available with the wheel combination you mentioned. The SM500 for that year was available in yellow. But not that wheel combination.

1987 catalog

For 1986 there was a SM700 available in yellow with that wheel combination.

1986 catalog

But I find no reference for those brakes. None of my information is first hand. And from what I’ve learned about Cannondale is catalogs don’t always match production. Another caveat and likely a big one is bikes for export may be completely different than what was available in the US in any given year.
The bike is probably the ‘87 SM800. The catalog shows a weird decal detail that isn’t in the attached photo but they may have come off. The brakes are Suntour roller cam brakes. Here’s a Sheldon Brown article on adjusting them.

This bike is from the weird first years of mountain biking when all kinds of ideas were being floated to solve any number of problems with taking a glorified cruiser and throwing it on to a bunch of rocks. There were all kinds of crazy, fun, stupid, brilliant ideas floating around. Using a 24” wheel was almost brilliant. It solved a problem of the day with gearing on the low end. Cranks of the time came with either a 28 tooth granny or a 24 tooth granny depending on the BCD. With a 34 tooth cog on the freewheel and a 26” wheel, the low was either 22 gear inches or 19”, respectively. That’s pretty high for slow speed mountain biking on steep trails.

Cannondale using a 24” wheel dropped the gear inches to 19” and 17”, respectively. Not a bad idea but better gearing quickly came along which reduced the need for the smaller wheel and simplified the need for two different wheel/tire/tube sizes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-09-23, 12:34 PM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 139 Posts
Nice bike Hansi and a great story to go along with it!
Old 12-10-23, 01:07 AM
Hansi

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks again John, very interesting read...!
Old 12-12-23, 08:53 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 261 Posts
13 posts in and no one caught the incorrect reference to Fred Cunningham brakes? You guys are slipping! The correct reference would be to Charlie Cunningham, one of the greatest innovators in mountain bike history.
Old 12-12-23, 10:51 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
13 posts in and no one caught the incorrect reference to Fred Cunningham brakes? You guys are slipping! The correct reference would be to Charlie Cunningham, one of the greatest innovators in mountain bike history.
I'm sure a bunch of us did, but the correction early on pointing out that the brakes were manufactured by Suntour quelled my urge to pile on.
Old 12-12-23, 10:30 PM
Hansi

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
Ah ha... it's been a long time since I purchased this bike, I have always remembered the name as Fred Cunningham! Oh well, no harm done...