Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bikes on French Trains?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bikes on French Trains?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-18, 09:35 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Bikes on French Trains?

OK, it has been a while since I have been on a French train, and the SNCF site is sorely lacking in information on the subject, at least the English version. As there was a comment made on another thread (that I didn't want to hijack) that French trains are becoming harder to use with bikes, I am looking for some information on three different legs:

1) CDG to/from Paris. On arrival is it better to build bikes in the airport or transport boxed? Are bikes allowed on this train, I vaguely remember it being more commuter-style last time I was there a decade ago.

2) Paris to Nevers, or thereabouts, to start the Loire Valley cycle route. Any specific services to avoid/select? Or, is there a better option on arrival to get from CDG right to this point bypassing Paris?

3) Somewhere along the Atlantic coast between Nantes and Brest back to Paris, depending on how far we end up making it in the allotted time. Same as #2.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 04-18-18, 09:45 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 97 Posts
Ok, this is just my experience. We live in Reims, east of Paris, on the Grand Est TGV line. The TGV trains have no bike options as far as I know. The local trains around Reims, though, specifically allow bikes, and have notices on the cars to indicate which car to use.

The trains from CDG to Paris are the RER trains. As you recall, they are people-specific. I have never seen a bike on those trains.

Can’t help specifically regarding the trains from Paris out to Nevers. If they are not TGV trains you may be able to ride on with the bike.

Given my knowledge, I’d try to keep the bike boxed until I reached Nevers unless that last train allowed bikes, and then Box it back up before traveling back to Paris.
Old 04-18-18, 10:22 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I believe it was probably my post in the other thread to which you were referring.

As Aubergine correctly wrote, the trains from CDG to Paris are RER trains, not SNCF trains. The RER is a network of suburban trains in the Paris region. (RER & Paris Metro trains are operated by the RATP.) Bikes are permitted during some hours and days on the RER, and I have taken a bike myself on the RER, including last September. Here's the French webpage with the information:

https://www.ratp.fr/services-aux-voy...e/service-velo

Dans le RER, vous pouvez transporter votre vélo :
- les samedis, dimanches et jours fériés toute la journée,
- les autres jours avant 6h30, entre 9h et 16h30, puis après 19h.

That says you can take your bike on RER trains on Saturday, Sunday, & Holidays, as well as weekdays before 6:30am, between 9:00am-4:30pm, and after 7:00pm. I took my bike loaded with panniers on an RER train on a weekday with no problem.

You need to look at the train schedules to see which SNCF trains allow regular bikes. In recent years UNTIL last year, I never saw a regional French train (i.e. non-TGV trains) which didn't have a place (usually hooks for hanging bikes) for putting your own bike on a train for free. I encountered regional French trains last year, however, where regular bikes were not permitted. BTW, there have been major strikes lately with the French railroads. I've had to deal with strikes myself on the SNCF, RER, & Paris Metro. Strikes on transport in France have caused me major headaches multiple times. I've had strike headaches in other European countries, as well.

There is a bike insignia on the French-language pages of the SNCF website, but I'm not sure if the English-language SNCF pages have the same info. The following seems to be the new SNCF English-language website, but I haven't used it:

https://en.oui.sncf/en/

FWIW, the German railway website is often easier to use for French trains than the SNCF website itself, according to many French cyclists on French-language cycling forums. The English pages are indeed excellent and you can check a box on the search page if you want a train which takes bikes.

https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
Old 04-18-18, 10:31 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I did a quick search on the French-language SNCF website and it looks like most of the direct trains from Paris-Bercy to Nevers on "Intercités" trains take bikes, but there's a 10 euro fee for a bike. Bikes used to be free on those trains.
Old 04-18-18, 10:36 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by axolotl
I believe it was probably my post in the other thread to which you were referring.
Dans le RER, vous pouvez transporter votre vélo :
- les samedis, dimanches et jours fériés toute la journée,
- les autres jours avant 6h30, entre 9h et 16h30, puis après 19h.

That says you can take your bike on RER trains on Saturday, Sunday, & Holidays, as well as weekdays before 6:30am, between 9:00am-4:30pm, and after 7:00pm. I took my bike loaded with panniers on an RER train on a weekday with no problem.
There is a bike insignia on the French-language pages of the SNCF website, but I'm not sure if the English-language SNCF pages have the same info. The following seems to be the new SNCF English-language website, but I haven't used it:

https://en.oui.sncf/en/
Thanks, actually that site gets me what I need, indicating which trains take bikes free or paid. I was trying to use the old SNCF.com site, this one is much more user friendly. Good info on the RER trains too, may have to get up early Monday morning or splurge for a taxi for the return (not sure if I can make a 1130am flight out of CDG leaving at 9am), but arriving on Saturday looks like we are good to go!
Old 04-18-18, 10:43 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Thanks, actually that site gets me what I need, indicating which trains take bikes free or paid. I was trying to use the old SNCF.com site, this one is much more user friendly. Good info on the RER trains too, may have to get up early Monday morning or splurge for a taxi for the return (not sure if I can make a 1130am flight out of CDG leaving at 9am), but arriving on Saturday looks like we are good to go!
When I need to fly out of CdG early in the morning, I stay at the Citizen M hotel close to the airport. It is a one-block walk from the hotel to the Roissy train station, which offers a shuttle train directly to CDG terminal 2 (which is where you will want to go.) it makes those pre-flight mornings a lot less stressful.
Old 04-18-18, 10:53 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Aubergine
When I need to fly out of CdG early in the morning, I stay at the Citizen M hotel close to the airport. It is a one-block walk from the hotel to the Roissy train station, which offers a shuttle train directly to CDG terminal 2 (which is where you will want to go.) it makes those pre-flight mornings a lot less stressful.
Good to know as well! I think I have the wife talked into a way too expensive hotel room with a view off a private balcony for the final stage of TDF. We really liked the CitizenM at Schiphol last time we were there, if I decide not to spend an ungodly amount on hotels (which, it being a honeymoon in Paris, I figure I should probably do even without the race...) I'll look into it
Old 04-18-18, 02:58 PM
mavimao

Bikes: Custom Mercier - Velo'v - Peugeot FG conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
According to this: https://www.oui.sncf/services-train/velo-a-bord

It’s free on TER trains.

0, 5 or 10€ on Intercités trains (price depends)

10€ on TGV.