Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hi, all

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-18, 09:32 PM
TheSubaruLovah

Bikes: a old beat up mongoose xr-75, i think?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, all

My name is Colin Y. Tang and i would like to know how to get a bike in bad condition (abandoned) or just beat up) so thatican ride it without fear of being stolen and if people try todamage it that i wont care... so how does someone get a beatup bike? what are ababnoned laws?
I am a car enthusiast and i can tell you cars for days but i know jack crap about bikes so pleasehelp me out
Old 07-04-18, 08:31 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
This would be the same as us asking you where to get a beat up abandoned car. People love their bikes here. Some I suspect sleep with their bikes in bed with them.

you should be able to find a cheap enough bike at yard sales, bike shops, pawnshops, craigslist, police auctions and whatnot. No need for an abandoned. Doesn't have to be the nicest but you want the bike to work right.

Old 07-04-18, 10:30 AM
TheSubaruLovah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
This would be the same as us asking you where to get a beat up abandoned car. People love their bikes here. Some I suspect sleep with their bikes in bed with them.

you should be able to find a cheap enough bike at yard sales, bike shops, pawnshops, craigslist, police auctions and whatnot. No need for an abandoned. Doesn't have to be the nicest but you want the bike to work right.
but those ones are usually in good condition i dont want one in good or even decent condition i would like one in poor condition so i can learn how to fix it when the many problems arise so i can get experence
Old 07-04-18, 10:45 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,840 Times in 2,231 Posts
Buy a decent one, learn how to maintain it first.
Keep it in one of those cars when you're not riding, it won't get stolen from the car.
Learn a bit about how you like to ride, then refurb those types. Max enjoyment for you.
Total crap bikes are just that = total crap.
Don't make your first experience crappy.

I bicycle ridden regularly will add to your life in immeasurable ways.
A car will burn your money forever.

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-04-18 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-04-18, 03:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TheSubaruLovah
My name is Colin Y. Tang and i would like to know how to get a bike in bad condition (abandoned) or just beat up) so thatican ride it without fear of being stolen and if people try todamage it that i wont care... so how does someone get a beatup bike? what are ababnoned laws?
I am a car enthusiast and i can tell you cars for days but i know jack crap about bikes so pleasehelp me out
Is there a dump near where you live? Or you could just buy a new one and drop it from a 6th story window.

Last edited by livedarklions; 07-04-18 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Better idea
Old 07-04-18, 04:15 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
Call the nearest university, and see what they do with all the left behind bikes. I suspect it'll be a treasure trove of crappy worn out rust buckets.

Fwiw, the worst pieces of rolling junk get stolen as much as the high end bikes.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 07-04-18 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-04-18, 04:22 PM
TheSubaruLovah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am happy for your help but you do tread a fine line with what you said about cars and i like the old look
Old 07-04-18, 04:23 PM
TheSubaruLovah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Call the nearest university, and see what they do with all the left behind bikes. I suspect it'll be a treasure trove of crappy worn out rust buckets.
ok thanks!
Old 07-04-18, 05:57 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,840 Times in 2,231 Posts
i am happy for your help but you do tread a fine line with what you said about cars and i like the old look
It's OK. There's a big universe of hobbies and fetishes. I'm tolerant.

…...and lots of Subarus here in PNW.

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-04-18 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-04-18, 09:41 PM
TheSubaruLovah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
It's OK. There's a big universe of hobbies and fetishes. I'm tolerant.

…...and lots of Subarus here in PNW.
what is PNW?
what is a fetishes?
Old 07-05-18, 10:52 AM
NameTaken

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a feeling you are just trolling based on the way you introduced yourself on a public forum using your alleged real name like some sort of 80's hybrid tycoon/masked wrestler gimmick but I could be wrong. You can get a decent condition 10-15 year old MTB that no one wants to steal for about $75 pretty much any day of the week on craigslist. At that age it's sure to need some basic maintenance that you could learn on. Why you would want anything worse than that is beyond me. There is also no shortage of garbage bikes in the $20-$50 range where I live if you really want trash.
Old 07-05-18, 11:02 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Simple. Buy a cheap bike from a place like Walmart and ride it a few times. it will be in really bad condition from then on.
Old 07-05-18, 11:02 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Colin,

I thing others have pointed this out. You are best served to get a bike you can ride, and to maintain it. Learn how to change the tires, lubricate the chain and cables, adjust brakes, derailleur, seatpost, and handlebars. If you get a road bike, learn how to tape the bars.
Once you've done all these things, you'll be able to answer your question yourself!

Good luck,

Jim
Old 07-05-18, 09:46 PM
TheSubaruLovah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NameTaken
I have a feeling you are just trolling based on the way you introduced yourself on a public forum using your alleged real name like some sort of 80's hybrid tycoon/masked wrestler gimmick but I could be wrong. You can get a decent condition 10-15 year old MTB that no one wants to steal for about $75 pretty much any day of the week on craigslist. At that age it's sure to need some basic maintenance that you could learn on. Why you would want anything worse than that is beyond me. There is also no shortage of garbage bikes in the $20-$50 range where I live if you really want trash.
ok, so why would i be a troller i was just being polite to adress the whole community what is a hybrid tycoon?

but thank you for your imput!
Old 07-05-18, 09:47 PM
TheSubaruLovah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=WizardOfBoz;20430181]Colin,

I thing others have pointed this out. You are best served to get a bike you can ride, and to maintain it. Learn how to change the tires, lubricate the chain and cables, adjust brakes, derailleur, seatpost, and handlebars. If you get a road bike, learn how to tape the bars.
Once you've done all these things, you'll be able to answer your question yourself!

Good luck,

Jim[/QUOTE
thanks i will do that!
Old 07-06-18, 07:34 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
1) Picking up an "abandoned" bike is likely to result in someone accusing you of stealing. If it is not yours, and you aren't 100% positive it is up for grabs, it isn't.
2) Go to your local thrift shop. Salvation Army, Goodwill, Kiwanis, St Vincent De Paul, whatever you have near you. You can pick up bikes for $30 all day long that will need a complete redo.
3) Look for a local bike coop. You appear to be outside Cleveland, there is likely one there. Not only can you get a cheap bike (mine does a "garage sale" every month, where any bike available in their back lot is like $15), they will also have tools, and the knowledge to teach you how to use them.
Old 07-06-18, 07:41 AM
TheSubaruLovah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
1) Picking up an "abandoned" bike is likely to result in someone accusing you of stealing. If it is not yours, and you aren't 100% positive it is up for grabs, it isn't.
2) Go to your local thrift shop. Salvation Army, Goodwill, Kiwanis, St Vincent De Paul, whatever you have near you. You can pick up bikes for $30 all day long that will need a complete redo.
3) Look for a local bike coop. You appear to be outside Cleveland, there is likely one there. Not only can you get a cheap bike (mine does a "garage sale" every month, where any bike available in their back lot is like $15), they will also have tools, and the knowledge to teach you how to use them.
ok thanks!! but how can you see where i am?
Old 07-06-18, 07:41 AM
NameTaken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, so why would i be a troller i was just being polite to adress the whole community what is a hybrid tycoon?

but thank you for your imput!
Maybe it's just me being a jaded IT person but you really shouldn't be giving out any type of personal information on a public thread so that seemed like a red flag to me. We know your real name and your city, With very little effort and in only a few minutes I now know your age, what your family consists of, your best friends name, your birthday and a whole bunch of other stuff. so we could probably pretty easily find your address and a more resourceful and evil person could probably use that along with whatever other little bits of info you casually drop on the forum to do actual harm to your identity. You should probably be a little bit more careful with your personal information when playing on line. The hybrid tycoon thing was just a pro wrestling reference from about 20 years before you were born, no insults if that was what you were thinking.

Last edited by NameTaken; 07-06-18 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-06-18, 07:55 AM
jefnvk

ok thanks!! but how can you see where i am?
Because under your avatar, it shows you typed in your location as Solon Oh. Doesn't show up if you are on the mobile site, but it does on a desktop.

Maybe it's just me being a jaded IT person but you really shouldn't be giving out any type of personal information on a public thread so that seemed like a red flag to me.....
Wow, conspiracy much? And this coming from a guy with a CS degree, who you could fairly easily find all that on if you did the slightest bit of investigative work just from his name and location.

Last edited by jefnvk; 07-06-18 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-06-18, 08:09 AM
TheSubaruLovah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because under your avatar, it shows you typed in your location as Solon Oh. Doesn't show up if you are on the mobile site, but it does on a desktop.

Wow, conspiracy much? And this coming from a guy with a CS degree, who you could fairly easily find all that on if you did the slightest bit of investigative work just from his name and location.
ok thanks sorry i didnt know
Old 07-06-18, 08:23 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
what is PNW?
what is a fetishes?
PNW - Pacific North West. Washington, Oregon, Northern California, etc.

Fetish -
1) A sexual obsession about something. We had a guy here in Philadelphia asking women to perform sexual acts with a piece of cheese. That's a fetish.
2) The worship an inanimate object due to its supposed magical powers.
Old 07-06-18, 08:28 AM
NameTaken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hardly a conspiracy theory. He is just a kid (no offence OP). Maybe you don't have kids or just don't follow what goes on with kids and the internet these days. I work with law enforcement, cyber crime, and child advocacy centers. Trust me, it's bad. He joined a public forum where he knows no one and literally the first thing he did was give his real name and location. If you have a CS degree and take no issue with that then I'm not sure what to even say to you.
Old 07-06-18, 08:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Will the already beat up bike you find serve your needs? To me it's more important that it fit correctly and be equipped for the riding I intend to do. Just get a bike you can afford to replace. If it's stolen so what, buy another.

I'm sure that in some places theft is a big issue, but I feel that too many worry about a theft that for them will never happen.
Old 07-06-18, 09:38 AM
jefnvk

Hardly a conspiracy theory. He is just a kid (no offence OP). Maybe you don't have kids or just don't follow what goes on with kids and the internet these days. I work with law enforcement, cyber crime, and child advocacy centers. Trust me, it's bad. He joined a public forum where he knows no one and literally the first thing he did was give his real name and location. If you have a CS degree and take no issue with that then I'm not sure what to even say to you.
Eh, best you stay off the internet in general if you are that concerned. I can guarantee you your full name and far more relevant information is floating around out there, on sites far more attractive to people meaning bad than little old Bike Forums.
Old 07-06-18, 09:39 AM
TheSubaruLovah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
PNW - Pacific North West. Washington, Oregon, Northern California, etc.

Fetish -
1) A sexual obsession about something. We had a guy here in Philadelphia asking women to perform sexual acts with a piece of cheese. That's a fetish.
2) The worship an inanimate object due to its supposed magical powers.
that is desgusting why would anyone want that**********?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.