Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for comfortable hybrid

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-18, 05:37 PM
Havana Brown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Heyby’all newbie here. My husband and I are in the market for comfortable hybrid bikes. We live in Virginia but have a place in the Delaware beaches where we ride a lot in the state parks. Lots of gravel, paved roads, dirt, and crushed gravel riding. I have a 15 year old Giant Rincon. We’ve tested the specialized crosstour and Ariel and liked them as well as the Giant Roam 2. I really liked the hydraulic brakes, suspension fork, and not too heavy. His hands tend to hurt and then go numb just a few miles in. Probably from his bending over and putting weight forward. Today we tested a Canondale Adventure 1 and really liked how we sat high and not bent over. Very comfortable. But it does not have hydraulic brakes though. Any thoughts on these or recommendations on something similar? Or one that has everything we’re looking for. Looking to keep it under 1k. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-08-18, 05:44 PM
congaree

Bikes: Trek FX S 4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Havana Brown
Heyby’all newbie here. My husband and I are in the market for comfortable hybrid bikes. We live in Virginia but have a place in the Delaware beaches where we ride a lot in the state parks. Lots of gravel, paved roads, dirt, and crushed gravel riding. I have a 15 year old Giant Rincon. We’ve tested the specialized crosstour and Ariel and liked them as well as the Giant Roam 2. I really liked the hydraulic brakes, suspension fork, and not too heavy. His hands tend to hurt and then go numb just a few miles in. Probably from his bending over and putting weight forward. Today we tested a Canondale Adventure 1 and really liked how we sat high and not bent over. Very comfortable. But it does not have hydraulic brakes though. Any thoughts on these or recommendations on something similar? Or one that has everything we’re looking for. Looking to keep it under 1k. Thanks in advance!
I have disc brake and do like them, but honestly can't say they are better in any noticeable way to rim brakes in dry weather. How often do you expect to be riding in wet weather? The feel of the bike is probably much more important than whether or not is has disc brakes. If you really do feel you want hydralic disc brakes, there are certainly models available that fit the bill...the Trek DS (DS4 in particular) series might be worth a look. There a lots of choices out there from other brands too, of course, but I'm not familiar with many of them.
Old 09-08-18, 06:57 PM
backonblack

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I absolutely love mine https://www.specializedconceptstore....-sirrus-sport/

Even with the straight bars. I usually end up maxing out my stem and sometimes changing straight bars to some 1" risers. Somehow it just works for me, considering it looks as low as it does with a good amount of rise in my seat post (i'm 6' tall). I fractured my neck in the past and riding bikes that I have to arch my neck up too far on can tend to aggravate it. Not with this bike, so far so good it hasnt happened. It has a high level of comfort as for me. I did a 3 hour ride on mine today it was great.

I also get some numbness in my left hand sometimes. Contoured grips my bike came with keeps it to a minimum. More often then not its non existent. Another way to further alleviate it is by wearing gloves that have extra leather or a thin layer of sponge or gel in the palms.

My sirrus has dual hydraulic breaks. I definately notice an improvement over the old cable brakes that compress the rims. They are smoother and feel more confident and take less squeeze pressure on the levers. It just took a little while to get used to front wheel flex when applying the brakes. But I would hardly consider that any kind of a negative.

Check out those specialized sports, I highly recommend them.

Last edited by backonblack; 09-08-18 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-08-18, 07:33 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Numb hands fixable when bike is fit to you & your riding style.
i like my flatbar disc bikes
took some learning how to fit them for me & my upright style, to be comfortable.

basicslly get a frame for your body size
your standover , reach.....etc.
i got measured at a bike shop , & bought s bike frame from them. They ordered parts by my size & preference.
Then , at the bike shop, sat on the bike pedaling in a stand, while it was tweaked to fit me.

More spendy, but the fit is great.

Last edited by bogydave; 09-08-18 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-08-18, 08:46 PM
NameTaken

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You aren't going to be going fast enough on an upright hybrid that having hydraulic disc brakes would really matter. For the hands going numb you could try some different grips. I had Ergon GP5's on my Roam and they helped. I'd suggest a drop bar bike but you seem pretty set on an upright position, It is much easier on the hands though in my opinion. Some Gel gloves might help too.
Old 09-08-18, 10:21 PM
backonblack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NameTaken
You aren't going to be going fast enough on an upright hybrid that having hydraulic disc brakes would really matter. .
Maybe, if you never ride down inclines.

Again its not only a matter of speed. Hydraulics are more efficient. Aside from stopping power, they add a cleaner look to bikes.

Old 09-08-18, 11:20 PM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by backonblack

Again its not only a matter of speed. Hydraulics are more efficient. Aside from stopping power, they add a cleaner look to bikes.

Rim brake should be fine even with an incline. Not like an incline makes them spontaneously stop working...water does that.

As for efficiency. Efficient at what? Disc brakes cost more, weighs more and more complex for a marginal increase in actual braking performance. Doesn't sound like efficiency to me at all. They are efficient at generating tons of heat which cooks the pads, boils the fluid and leads to unctontrollable brake fade.

Cleaner looking? Purely subjective cause I think they completely disrupt...the symmetry of a bike...and your bodily connections! cause they are spinning blades of death!

Fiery spinning blades of death.

Last edited by zze86; 09-08-18 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-08-18, 11:54 PM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oops, too busy trying to be funny and forgot to answer the OPs question.

Go for the bike that fits and is most comfortable for the riding that you do. Your bike shop may be able to swap out grips or handlebars for a marginal cost so it may be worth it to bring up the hand pain with them and see what they can do. For example, my wrists cannot handle a straight flat bar but a bar with some sweep to it like FSA Metropolis or northroad bars works really well for me. Or it may be as simple as tilting the saddle's nose up a bit.

I wouldn't discount a bike just because it has rim brakes. Really, rim brakes will work just fine if available on the bike you want. If the only options are mechanical or hydraulic disc brakes OR if hand strength is an issue then go for the hydraulic ones. The hydros do tend to offer better hand modulation than cable operated brakes though that is often debated as well (we are a contentious lot).

Finally, if you like the hydraulic brakes (and he is ambivalent to them) there's no reason you can't get different bikes. Get the one that works for you and get a different one for him.

Last edited by zze86; 09-09-18 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-09-18, 03:02 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
First, Cannondale makes more hybrids than anyone, and most of them come with hydraulic brakes. Second, if your hands go numb, try padded or gel gloves. Also, although not as versatile as drop bars, bar-ends do offer at least one additional hand position. If find mine a convenient change of pace, and excellent on climbs.

Last edited by KraneXL; 09-09-18 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-09-18, 04:54 AM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try the Trek FX Sport. The FX Sport 5 and 6 have carbon frames I believe.
Old 09-09-18, 06:01 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
First off ... this is not a thread about discs vs rim brakes. if the OP prefers discs, for any reason, then discs are better in this one situation.

Second .... the issue here is Not brakes, it is riding position. As only few posters have mentioned, the bike you buy is not the bike you have to ride forever.

Bikes are tremendously adjustable. There are shorter and longer stems, stems which rise at different angles, even adjustable stems so people can try different positions.

Same with handlebars. There are straight bars, swept bars, risers, flat bars, Jones bars, H-bars, trekker bars ..... and then we can talk grips.

Sometimes a grip can be too fat, or too soft, or too hard .... a lot of people find a really soft grip wears out the hands because the person is always squeezing harder, looking for a more positive hold. Some people are more comfortable with shaped grips.

Talk to the bike shop about swapping in different parts .... they might have some spares and take-offs they could loan you for a test. Or buy some cheap stuff online and try different things. if you have found a frame and fork and wheels that suit you and only the cockpit is a little off ... as one poster noted, make sure the bike is the right size (some shops will sell you what they have and Tell you it is what you need.) if the frame fits, the stem, seat and bars and grips are fairly cheap and easy to change.

EDIT:

One thing. have your husband sit on the bike---I like to lean against the washer-dryer on one side, and have my other foot on my toolbox, but i doubt you would want to come to my house---you can find your own set-up. Basically, you want your husband to be sitting on the bike but with weight on the pedals, not just sitting on the seat--more as it would be as if he were riding.

Then have your husband reach forward the amount he thinks would be comfortable and see where his hands, arms, and body naturally fall. I know I can ride a flat, straight bar if I keep my elbows out a little---which is fine if I am riding tough trails with a lot of dramatic direction changes but can wear on a flat, easy ride. bars that sweep back---angle towards the rider in a slight V---let me drop my elbows and tuck them near my body, and can fit the angle at which my hands then aim.

if he seeks a relaxed riding position, ... or aggressive ... have him mimic that position on the bike and see where his grips need to be Then buy a stem and bar that put his grip[s where his hands are.

A final note----trekker bars (which extend out in big open loops) can offer a wide range of hand positions so a rider can bend low, sit up straight, or somewhere in between and be supported. https://www.ilovebicycling.com/trekk...you-need-them/ https://sheldonbrown.com/deakins/handlebars.html

Last edited by Maelochs; 09-09-18 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-09-18, 06:21 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
wife and I were in the same situation as you guys. Also from Virginia. We went with Trek hybrids. She has rim brakes I have manual disc brakes. Both stop the bike just fine. If you live anywhere near the Va capitol trail you need to ride it.
Old 09-09-18, 07:26 AM
Havana Brown

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by congaree
I have disc brake and do like them, but honestly can't say they are better in any noticeable way to rim brakes in dry weather. How often do you expect to be riding in wet weather? The feel of the bike is probably much more important than whether or not is has disc brakes. If you really do feel you want hydralic disc brakes, there are certainly models available that fit the bill...the Trek DS (DS4 in particular) series might be worth a look. There a lots of choices out there from other brands too, of course, but I'm not familiar with many of them.
Thanjs. Will check them out.
Old 09-09-18, 07:30 AM
backonblack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My aim wasn't to start a any kind of brake debate. Yes, rim calipers stopped me fine for years. I only got a bike with disc breaks this past summer. I do like them better, on all fronts, mechanical and cosmetic.

Btw by more efficient I meant hydraulic disc brakes require less force on the lever to create more stopping power then there rim clamping counterparts. They have a more precise feel, to me, also. Cleaner looks, meaning they don't burn off your rim paint or leave behind rubber goo smudge. IMHO disc breaks also score higher in the cool department. Obviously that counts to some of us

Well tuned, both types of brakes stop great.

Inclines don't cause brakes to stop working, of course not, but they do speed you up. That was the real point here, get it got it?....gooood lol.

Last edited by backonblack; 09-09-18 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-09-18, 08:27 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
NB; you test a bike in a shop assembled from the OEM components ,
chosen from many available,
By the assembly factory to meet price point .. wrapped boxed and shipped
to your favorite Shop.
once you are ready to buy the bike, the retail shop can help you , OP ,
with a couple brands mentioned ,

change saddles (a zillion 'which saddle threads, here) pedals, grips, stems, bars,
the interface parts
where your body meets the bike to make any decent LBS brand hybrid,
more comfortable..

it happens locally ..

Old 09-09-18, 12:25 PM
NameTaken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by backonblack

Not disagreeing with you at all or even implying that discs are not better. Simply stating that for their intended use, I would not let the lack of disc breaks deter them from buying a bike if everything else about the bike is perfect for them.
Old 09-09-18, 07:01 PM
Havana Brown

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow. So much information to take in. I will review it all and look into everything y’all suggested. It’ll probably be a few more weeks before we decide on one and I’ll update y’all on which one. I really appreciate everyone’s help and input!!
Old 09-09-18, 07:57 PM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
A few test rides will tell you a lot and make the comparison of the bits less important.
Old 10-16-18, 11:10 AM
Havana Brown

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I think I have finally narrowed it down. To the first bike I tested, lol. I really liked the feel of the Ariel. I tried to like the Ariel Sport, because I was told that a 2X is the way of the future, instead of the 3X but I like being able to see which gears I'm in. I also liked that the Ariel felt smoother than the sport, and also my hands fit better in the regular Ariel than the sport. Now my problem is that I can't find a new 2019 Ariel Hydraulic Disc in the Gloss Storm Grey/Ice Blue in size MEDIUM in my area. I wasn't crazy about the other two colors it comes in. I'm between a Small and Medium, but in the small I run out of seat post, so a medium would be a better fit. If I order one, it won't come in until February. And then it'll just sit there for a few months. At that rate, I might just wait until the 2020 models come out! :-(
Old 10-16-18, 07:38 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
With your husband's numb hands, I wonder if a more upright bike like the Giant Cypress or Sedona would work well for him?
Old 10-17-18, 04:19 PM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
You aren't going to be going fast enough on an upright hybrid that having hydraulic disc brakes would really matter. For the hands going numb you could try some different grips. I had Ergon GP5's on my Roam and they helped. I'd suggest a drop bar bike but you seem pretty set on an upright position, It is much easier on the hands though in my opinion. Some Gel gloves might help too.
I've gotta call BS on that "speed" comment. I hit 25-30 mph all the time on my Trek FX6 Sport "hybrid" and the hydraulic discs are probably one of my favorite features on this flat bar bike that will keep up with the roadies.

Old 10-17-18, 09:30 PM
NameTaken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by csrpenfab
I've gotta call BS on that "speed" comment. I hit 25-30 mph all the time on my Trek FX6 Sport "hybrid" and the hydraulic discs are probably one of my favorite features on this flat bar bike that will keep up with the roadies.
Typical bike forum response. I'm happy for you, you're super fast, mate. If you are maintaining 30 mph on any bike then you are not the typical rider period. I'm sure you regularly go flying past us roadies as we gaze at you in awe of your "flat bar 'hybrid'". However, the OP, as they described themselves, will not be going anywhere near that fast regardless of what bike they choose or said bikes capabilities. My point, as stated way back in September, was that they should not let a lack of disc brakes deter them from a bike that meets all of their criteria and feels right.
Old 10-18-18, 01:36 AM
JessicaSinclair

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a 2018 Giant Roam 1 Disc it is the most comfortable bike and i love riding it.

Originally Posted by csrpenfab

actually that looked like my bike i must get a bike stand for sure.
Old 10-18-18, 09:49 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Typical bike forum response. I'm happy for you, you're super fast, mate. If you are maintaining 30 mph on any bike then you are not the typical rider period. I'm sure you regularly go flying past us roadies as we gaze at you in awe of your "flat bar 'hybrid'". However, the OP, as they described themselves, will not be going anywhere near that fast regardless of what bike they choose or said bikes capabilities. My point, as stated way back in September, was that they should not let a lack of disc brakes deter them from a bike that meets all of their criteria and feels right.
Oh man, lol, it's a typical online debate for sure.

New guys "hybrid":
- Skinny tires (basically a road bike with flat bars)
- Poster is very strong and in very good shape
- Poster is riding with a pack of other riders (I can ride 19mph by myself or 25mph with the same effort behind other people)
- Poster may be talking about max speed going downhill as well it's true that "I often bike 30mph" but I may be leaving out that that's once a ride on the downhill
- People realize that comparing "road bike with flat bars" to "upright with fat tires" "hybrids" is not really comparable
- Argument moves on to how hydraulic brakes may have a nice feel, but because of the skinny tires they're not providing more stopping power than rim brakes anyways

I wonder if one day someone will make a sitcom or popular youtube videos around "arguments on the internet"...
Old 10-18-18, 10:15 AM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Oh man, lol, it's a typical online debate for sure.

New guys "hybrid":
- Skinny tires (basically a road bike with flat bars)
- Poster is very strong and in very good shape
- Poster is riding with a pack of other riders (I can ride 19mph by myself or 25mph with the same effort behind other people)
- Poster may be talking about max speed going downhill as well it's true that "I often bike 30mph" but I may be leaving out that that's once a ride on the downhill
- People realize that comparing "road bike with flat bars" to "upright with fat tires" "hybrids" is not really comparable
- Argument moves on to how hydraulic brakes may have a nice feel, but because of the skinny tires they're not providing more stopping power than rim brakes anyways

I wonder if one day someone will make a sitcom or popular youtube videos around "arguments on the internet"...
Before anyone gets their panties all bunched up, my comment about riding 25-30mph frequently was solely based on blasting down a steep downhill! I am in no way fit enough to cruise at those speeds! Sorry to have chaffed anyone with my comments, I was merely referring to the fact that I like the stopping power and modulation offered by the discs on my new Trek. Carry on!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.