Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Personalized bike fitting - by YOU!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-10, 04:24 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can you help fit me to my new (used) bike? I've observed very discerning comments in this forum.

I always want the impossible - to be younger, fitter, richer, etc. I bought a bike off eBay after doing my homework. I got a 2007 GT GTR Series 2, 400 miles (?), with am extra SRAM Force 53/39 crankset, $860 delivered. While I waited to find an acceptable bike I've been riding my 35 year old Lotus a lot - I've built up to a longest ride 57 miles Tuesday, exactly 21 days after I started riding (although I'd done 2 months of gym). I feel the Lotus is dialed in pretty well except the seat is uncomfortable.

Next week I will try to force my cheap self to pay for a bike fitting. In the meantime I've got two group rides this weekend - 32 and 50 miles. Maybe you can help me approximate a decent fit.

Saddle is set as far back as it goes. I think my knee cap is supposed to be directly over the cleat with the pedals at 3 and 9 o'clock.
Saddle height is set so my leg is straight with my heel on the pedal.
Saddle is level (I thought). I need to use a level to test because it seems to tilt down in the picture. I've spent a lot of time adjusting and tried 4 different saddles on the Lotus. I find I do not like the nose tilted up, that level is best.
Handlebars are lower than my Lotus, but I wanted them lower. This bike has an adjustable stem (Ritchey?) so I can move it around a little. Nose of saddle to handlebar edge is 1" more than my elbow to fingertip - same as on the Lotus.
Handlebars are level - I haven't really experimented.

That's about the limit of my fitment awareness.

I like the ride although 110 & 125 PSI may be too hard (I weigh so much, I just had a flat, and I may be overreacting), and the brakes (105's) are very impressive. I hope I can adapt to a compact double. My Lotus had a triple, and I find I am still using the granny gears - maybe I can compromise by changing to an 11-28 cassette (11-23 now, something I neglected to notice). I will learn more on the ride tomorrow. (I wear bibs).

Thanks.

P1030929..jpg
My heel on the pedal to measure saddle height
P1030928..jpg
Knee cap over pedal
P1030927..jpg
Old 06-25-10, 04:34 PM
xanadu

Bikes: 2008 Tarmac Elite, 2002 Cannondale Cyclocross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike looks too small for you. maybe try 130mm stem. but trading it for something larger might make more sense.

Bike looks 54-56. you look to be over 6', right? if so, the above is likely true.
Old 06-25-10, 04:37 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
If you are just wondering about making any tweaks before the weekend, I would suggest you try and set it up with the same proportions as your lotus which you said is comfortable. You can follow guidelines and numbers but ultimately even after the fitting, it is how it feels that will determine how you will tweak it for comfort. As for where it is at the moment it seems like a good enough starting point if you had nothing else to compare to, but you do have a comfortable position to match. I would measure the seat height, handlebar height and match these. then try best you can to get the seat fore-aft to match the reach too but this is more subjective.

ultimately the ride will tell you what needs changing. you will feel if you are too cramped, too stretched back hurts etc, You can make changes after each ride or even during if you can stop and whip out an allen key.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack

Last edited by coasting; 06-25-10 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-25-10, 05:24 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Best bike fit article.
Old 06-25-10, 08:37 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xanadu
bike looks too small for you... Bike looks 54-56. you look to be over 6', right?...
  • I'm 6'2", bike is 58 cm.
  • I was measured at a Specialized LBS.
  • Their results called for 58.2 cm and they setup a new Roubaix Elite 58 cm that felt perfect. [I realize the Roubaix has unusual geometry with the rising crossbar and it's specifically built for comfort. That LBS is where I will probably get this bike fitted next week.]
  • The crossbar is quite a bit lower than the Lotus - it looks like a smaller bike. But if I stand one bike in front of the other, the seat and handlebars are in the exact same location.
All that said, I don't really disagree with you! Maybe it will turn out to be the wrong size.
Old 06-25-10, 08:59 PM
MRFL

Bikes: 2009 Scott Speedster S50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hobkirk
  • I'm 6'2", bike is 58 cm.
  • I was measured at a Specialized LBS.
  • Their results called for 58.2 cm and they setup a new Roubaix Elite 58 cm that felt perfect. [I realize the Roubaix has unusual geometry with the rising crossbar and it's specifically built for comfort. That LBS is where I will probably get this bike fitted next week.]
  • The crossbar is quite a bit lower than the Lotus - it looks like a smaller bike. But if I stand one bike in front of the other, the seat and handlebars are in the exact same location.
All that said, I don't really disagree with you! Maybe it will turn out to be the wrong size.
I'm no expert, in fact I'm a noob but I tend to agree with xanadu. You look a little bit big for that bike. Also, your 3rd pic (cap over pedal) does not look correct. It appears as if your seat is back too far. Your cap does not look in line with the pedal. Do you have someone who can do a plumbob test for you? Also, your seat looks a tiny bit high. Are your swaying your hips when you pedal? If so you might need to lower the seat.

Like I said, I'm just a noob. But I had a lot of fitment issues at first. Hope it works out for you.
Old 06-25-10, 09:28 PM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry can't really tell from the pictures.
Old 06-25-10, 09:50 PM
Slater4545
I'm lost. Again.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your elbows look almost locked. One generally wants a slight bend at the elbows.

And I second the link to PeterWhiteCycles.
Old 06-25-10, 10:06 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Fitting Links

https://www.cyclemetrics.com/Pages/Fi..._fit_links.htm
Old 06-26-10, 06:45 AM
kneed2wrydemore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't thing the handlebars are the right style for you. You may find it more comfortable on a bar with less drop at the hoods, such as Deda Zero 100's or FSA Omega Compacts.

Also, check your cleat placement......

Congrats on the bike,

RR
Old 06-26-10, 09:23 AM
cshell
In the dark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dang.... You have a lot of clamps in that garage!!!

Old 06-26-10, 09:48 AM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
The bike does look a bit little, a 58 for a 6-2 man? What size is the Lotus? The Lotus is a nice bike BTW.

Saddle needs to come forward and tilt up level.

I believe your saddles is too high because it appears your hip is flexed down to me from the picture.

Here is how you do saddle and the math will be dismiised by everybody but it has been shown to be very accurate in point of fact at least as a very close starting point.

Stand in stocking feet, back to a wall, have wife shove a one inch hardcover book up between your legs with enough force you are uncomfortable and have her make a mark on the wall at the top intersection. This i your PBH. Multiply that by .883 and then take the result and set your saddle height such that as measured from the center of the BB to the crown of the saddle along the ST is that amount.

That should have your saddle very close, other factors are fore and aft on the saddle, type of shoes and pedals, your physiology and pedaling style.
Old 06-26-10, 03:58 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The op has the wrong frame size to start with. (my honest opinion)

How tall is the OP? 6.2 hmm... 187... thats pretty big.

The Saddle needs to be leveled. The sadlle height is too high in my opinion like 2 inches off maybe?

Length wise will be tough because the frame is too short, a 13 stem as somebody mentioned will do it, but if you are used to ride the lotus that is a pretty old street bike it makes sense u have problems and finding the setup too low, The gt and the lotus are totally different machines. Like riding 85 minivan versus a 2010 audi super quattro (making up stuff in here to make a point ok?)

In the background probably u have the lotus and that bike is like a 61 or a 63? (look at pictures)

Looking at the GT website the XL that is the biggest frame they have for the GTR series 2, the horizontal length of it is 57.88 cms, those frames are super short if you ask me, thats why he looks like riding a small frame i believe. WHat you have in there is the XL or the Large size? Looks like the large size to me.
Old 06-27-10, 09:31 PM
Hunt-man
Tete de Couch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try a different saddle, perhaps one that has a more aft pad to it. Check the setback on the saddle post, can you get one a bit farther back? I look for my knee, the front of it, to be behind the pedal shaft, in front is generally bad. Get a string with a weight on it and check front of knee at 90. Good starting point.

Your leg looks too straight at full extension. Measure inseam and multiply by .9 for a starting saddle height.

It is really hard to tell based on pictures.
Old 06-27-10, 10:49 PM
tribble222
Fuzzy logic

Bikes: 2002 Lemond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would agree that frame looks too small for you. One thing that would be worthwhile is to measure your legs versus your torso to see how you're proportioned. I'm 6'1" but have abnormally short legs and a super long torso. I tried a ton of different bikes and the frame that I feel great on is a 55cm (!) Lemond - a bike that is known for having a long top tube, good for people like me with a long torso. Everyone at different LBS were trying to stick me on 59cm bikes because of my height when in reality I needed a shorter seat tube and a long top tube.
Old 06-28-10, 07:06 AM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I think you could ride that bike but I think an older fellow would enjoy a bike a little larger to get the most enjoyment out of it. But, since we all are not there I would have a serious conversation with the shop you bought that high dollar machine from to make sure they know what they are talking about.