Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Biking health benefits and life changes

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Biking health benefits and life changes

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-12, 05:12 AM
Rootzilla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^Insufficient rest/recovery, bad diet or something else going wrong there for sure.
Old 05-17-12, 06:21 AM
soyboy

Bikes: raleigh gran prix converted to fixed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
since i ditched my car and started riding mostly everywhere in 2005 i've felt a lot happier, have a much calmer temper, way more energy and i've lost about 85 pounds. i don't have any photos to compare off hand but i was 255 and now i'm around 170.

i definetly save a lot of money as compared to riding a car or the subway.

Riding bikes is the best.
Old 05-17-12, 06:56 AM
broakland
Señor Member

Bikes: Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#1 Benefit that no one mentioned: Sqrls.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SQURLS.jpg (10.7 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by broakland; 05-17-12 at 07:05 AM. Reason: chart added
Old 05-17-12, 08:49 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaytron
Biking did this:

After= A year later, and 50 lbs lighter.
Originally Posted by IthaDan

My turn:
100# in about a year.

October 2011

To this (this was last october, I'm fitter now, this was at like 90# lost)-

The trickle down of energy is amazing, I spring out of bed in the morning, don't huff up stairs... Quit drinking... Sometimes, you're ready to turn it around, you just need the slightest nudge.
Good work, guys.

I made a similar transformation.

I had no clue what healthy eating was about. I figured that lettuce on a burger was enough veggies for a day. Blueberry waffles are considered a fruit, right? I used my bike for basic transportation in Baltimore for a few years, but drinking, sweets, and bad eating didn't allow for any real transformation in my body. Only when I started racing on the track did I change my diet. Basically, the desire to win made me change. Fear of training with a hangover made me stop drinking.

I lost about 50-60 lbs then added back maybe 30lbs of muscle when I started lifting 3x a week as a sprinter.

I cut back on the sugar. This was harder than cutting back on beer. Seriously.

Pro Tip: Sqrls don't like fat dudes. Sqrls like fit dudes. I'm not trying to be a snob by writing that. But, I've received way more attention from sqrls being balding and fit in my late 30s than I did being fat in my mid-20s (with hair, nice car, nice job, etc...). Even young sqrls in their early 20s.

(I've got some "before" photos that are much worse.)

(I'm about 15lbs lighter now than in this photo.)
Old 05-17-12, 08:59 AM
carleton
Elitist

Oh, and I never would have thought that I'd win several State and Regional medals and one from a National Championship. I even hold a track record!

Old 05-17-12, 09:13 AM
broakland
Señor Member

Bikes: Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Oh, and I never would have thought that I'd win several State and Regional medals and one from a National Championship. I even hold a track record!
But can you hillbomb like Massan?!! https://vimeo.com/5862934
Old 05-17-12, 09:24 AM
Rootzilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^Judging from these photos it looks like you had more fun before, though
Old 05-17-12, 09:30 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts

Hell Yeah!

Also nice weight loss guys! (Carleton, Jaytron, Dan n co). That's very impressive.

Not trying to sound snobbish, but I've never been clinically overweight, so idk what it's like to lose all that weight.
I would like to lose 5-10lbs though, and I am discovering that it will take some serious diet changes if I expect to lose any weight given the amount I am riding.
I can appreciate the dedication and hard work that it takes to lose even 5-10 lbs (in my case), let alone 50-100!

Last edited by TMonk; 05-17-12 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-17-12, 09:37 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by bfloyd6969
Overtrained?... or are you joking?
im about 50/50.

mainly I could use just a little bit more sleep, i'm avging about 6.5 hrs/night right now which is a little low considering that I really wear myself out on the bike a couple days a week.
when I was in college one winter (2009), I came home and tried to put in a 18/20/22 weekly hours block whilst working 32hrs a week at a grocery store.

that wasn't exactly healthy.
Old 05-17-12, 09:38 AM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Pro Tip: Sqrls don't like fat dudes. Sqrls like fit dudes.
This.

I figured out why I didn't get as many sqrls as I did in HS. It's pretty much because I gained a ton of weight. Now that most of it is off, the sqrls are abundant.

Also that's awesome Carleton, what track record do you hold?
Old 05-17-12, 09:45 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by TMonk
Hell Yeah!

Also nice weight loss guys! (Carleton, Jaytron, Dan n co). That's very impressive.

Not trying to sound snobbish, but I've never been clinically overweight, so idk what it's like to lose all that weight.
I would like to lose 5-10lbs though, and I am discovering that it will take some serious diet changes if I expect to lose any weight given the amount I am riding.
I can appreciate the dedication and hard work that it takes to lose even 5-10 lbs (in my case), let alone 50-100!
Thanks!

Actually, when people are overweight due to diet and lack of exercise, the major weight loss is relatively easy. For example, I lost 10 lbs in 2-3 weeks by simply cutting out sodas. I lost another 30lbs just by training and racing beginner races at the track every week.

Losing the final 5-10lbs that you are talking about is just as hard for me.

im about 50/50.

mainly I could use just a little bit more sleep, i'm avging about 6.5 hrs/night right now which is a little low considering that I really wear myself out on the bike a couple days a week.
when I was in college one winter (2009), I came home and tried to put in a 18/20/22 weekly hours block whilst working 32hrs a week at a grocery store.

that wasn't exactly healthy.
1) Nap. Naps work. Get one or two 20 minute naps a day and you'll feel like a champ. I'm a polyphasic sleeper. I've averaged 5.5 hours of sleep a night for the last 6 months that I've been logging it. Naps once are twice a day bring it all together.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep

2) Eat more protein to heal up your muscles.
Old 05-17-12, 09:48 AM
carleton
Elitist

This.

I figured out why I didn't get as many sqrls as I did in HS. It's pretty much because I gained a ton of weight. Now that most of it is off, the sqrls are abundant.

Team Sprint at DLV. We broke the previous record by over 3 seconds.

Also, only one other person has done a 500M faster than me at DLV. That guy is a multiple Elite National Champ and Masters world champ. I want a crack at that record this year, but, as of now, they cut 500M from the race program for men under 50 :|
Old 05-17-12, 09:52 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
less money
more fatigue, tired all the time
less social life
more susceptibility to common colds, esp after a few weeks of training lots

in many ways this sport is unhealthy... but health (or fitness) has never been why im in this game

ediT: i should add that I was a healthy, fun loving individual (college sophmore running ~30mi or so/week) before I started riding so I can't say it made me feel healthier.
See a doctor, something is wrong.
Old 05-17-12, 10:10 AM
carleton
Elitist

This.

Team Sprint at DLV. We broke the previous record by over 3 seconds.

Also, only one other person has done a 500M faster than me at DLV. That guy is a multiple Elite National Champ and Masters world champ. I want a crack at that record this year, but, as of now, they cut 500M from the race program for men under 50 :|
Old 05-17-12, 10:13 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Sounds like an ineffective diet combined with either Overreaching or Overtraining.

One can recover from Overreaching with a few days of rest. Overtraining requires weeks of recovery or more depending on severity.

I would say to TMonk: Eat lots and rest/nap lots and if you don't feel like riding, don't force yourself.

Here's an article discussing overreaching vs overtraining: https://www.active.com/triathlon/Arti...r-Training.htm
Old 05-17-12, 10:26 AM
hank0604

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel like my whole world changed. Saved money. Lost 40 pounds. Started making healthier decisions. Started paying real attention to environmental issues. But mainly, I had been showing some symptoms of the bipolar disorder that runs in my family; all that ended almost immediately when I started on the bike.
Old 05-17-12, 10:59 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I would say to TMonk: Eat lots and rest/nap lots and if you don't feel like riding, don't force yourself.
a nap here and there sounds great! ill try to work that in.

Last edited by TMonk; 05-17-12 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-17-12, 11:04 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
While I realize your post is in jest, don't take my original post too seriously.

My original post was meant to simply illustrate a counter example based upon my own past experiences. I have learned through trial and error what the borderline for me is in terms of sleep/nutrition/over training. I don't feel that way atm, except maybe the less money part

When you extrapolate out to the extreme (think grand tour UCI pro rider) I would argue that the sport is unhealthy. Especially if you need drugs ala EPO and testosterone to even maintain your training load.

At the moment I would prefer to keep the 5-10lbs of fat that I have and the beers that I drink with friends thank you very much.
Old 05-17-12, 11:12 AM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I was never that heavy until I got hurt on the job. I was the production manager at the local brewery (you figure it out) when I put my right thumb through a beer bottle and just about cut it off, 4 surgeries and 10 months of doing as little as possible packs on the pounds something fierce. I smoked a pack a day, drank WAY too much and didn't to anything to take care of myself before the injury, but that was the tipping point- I got depressed and ballooned up. I've since gotten back into cornell, sobered up and have lost the weight you see in the pictures. In a weird way, that was the best thing that could have happened to me.

I'm better now, after a 5th surgery to regain some movement in the thumb. I can't overextend it (i have hitchhiker thumbs) but the mobility I do have doesn't hinder my ability to do much at all. Got some b!tching scars too, there's a huge one on the top of my foot where they got the new tendon from.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 05-17-12, 11:33 AM
GMJ
Would you just look at it

Bikes: good ones.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hank0604
But mainly, I had been showing some symptoms of the bipolar disorder that runs in my family; all that ended almost immediately when I started on the bike.
I ****ing feel you man. No matter how terrible I had felt or how backwards my day had been going, riding my bike for more than 30 minutes takes it all away. My mind quiets and I start to focus on the intricacies of my surroundings.

My hips pop, my knees always hurt, and my lower back is starting to form a constant ache, but all of this is more than worth the emotional wellbeing that cycling has brought me. That, and I look much better naked.
Old 05-17-12, 11:33 AM
RayfromTX

Bikes: '11 CAADX105, '98 Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lost 60 lbs with diet prior to getting on the bike 13 months ago. The weight loss got me off of the blood pressure medicine and the anti-inflammatory drugs and the acid reflux medicine and the high cholesterol and blood sugar issues and the snoring, blah blah blah.

Since I got on the bike I added a strong cardiovascular system(VO2max of 61) and no more colds or illnesses and my skin looks much younger. I think this is all due to the effect of hours of flushing out toxins by pushing hard on the bike. In the last 30 days I've put 1,209 miles on the bike. Never expected that to happen. My stamina is huge which is cool in the bedroom. I can also eat lots of good healthy tasty food without putting on weight. I do of course still have to match my intake to my output. The only downside is less time for projects and the cost of a new hobby.
Old 05-17-12, 11:42 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by IthaDan
I was never that heavy until I got hurt on the job. I was the production manager at the local brewery (you figure it out) when I put my right thumb through a beer bottle and just about cut it off, 4 surgeries and 10 months of doing as little as possible packs on the pounds something fierce. I smoked a pack a day, drank WAY too much and didn't to anything to take care of myself before the injury, but that was the tipping point- I got depressed and ballooned up. I've since gotten back into cornell, sobered up and have lost the weight you see in the pictures. In a weird way, that was the best thing that could have happened to me.

I'm better now, after a 5th surgery to regain some movement in the thumb. I can't overextend it (i have hitchhiker thumbs) but the mobility I do have doesn't hinder my ability to do much at all. Got some b!tching scars too, there's a huge one on the top of my foot where they got the new tendon from.
Nice man. Glad to hear your healthy and feelin' good.
Old 05-17-12, 12:26 PM
carleton
Elitist

...When you extrapolate out to the extreme (think grand tour UCI pro rider) I would argue that the sport is unhealthy. Especially if you need drugs ala EPO and testosterone to even maintain your training load.
Racing is relative. Those that do take drugs do so to beat the other guys who are taking drugs (this was told to me by an ex pro). Basically, if everyone was clean then the racing would still be just as exciting.

Drugs in the NFL and MLB are old guys trying to keep their jobs. Basically, they need the drugs to keep from getting cut from the team as the new recruits are stronger and faster. It's a no-brainer for them. Risk the small percentage chance of getting caught doping (with a slap on the wrist as punishment) or be guaranteed to lose your position on the team to a young buck. Easy decision, unfortunately.

At the moment I would prefer to keep the 5-10lbs of fat that I have and the beers that I drink with friends thank you very much.
Keep it fun! Ain't nobody paying us to do this!
Old 05-17-12, 12:48 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Keep it fun! Ain't nobody paying us to do this!
Amen.

For most of us (myself included), that will never be the case.
Old 05-17-12, 01:00 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I just turned 45. I'm 7 pounds heavier than when I graduated from HS, but it's muscle (and mostly in my butt). When I had my last physical, my doc said my "good" cholesterol was off the chart and the highest he'd ever seen, and gave me a cardiac risk of very low. He would have given me a zero but for the fact that heart disease is rampant in my family.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.