Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Husky not Huffy! Need advice on purchase.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Husky not Huffy! Need advice on purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-13, 07:00 AM
ChetLansky

Bikes: Strada Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
***Update

So It's been about 2 or 3 weeks since I've had my bike. Having a blast. Riding it everywhere. Today was the first day that I rode it into work. 4.6 miles took me about 30 minutes. The beast of a bridge 'Queensboro Bridge' didn't help much with my time. That thing tires me out but of the 10 times I rode across it, I have yet to quit peddling and walk my bike which is a nice accomplishment. I'm dreading the summer weather. The fact that I tote two bike locks in my shoulder bag doesn't help much either.

Anyways, having a blast riding the bike.

Is there any rule of thumb as to when you should put air in your tires? Isn't it every week or so? How can I tell how mush PSI should be in the tires? And can anyone recommend a good bike pump and adapter? I have one of those push and release valves which I believe needs an adapter.

Thanks all!
Old 04-19-13, 07:08 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have the Joe Blow 2 pump, it's fairly inexpensive and gets the job done. It also works with schrader and presta valves (I believe you have the presta valves).

I usually check my tires before every ride and notice I lost a few pounds of pressure. Both tires usually require a couple of pumps. It's probably a bit excessive, but whats an extra minute of time if it ensures I won't get a pinch flat.

Old 04-19-13, 07:24 AM
sinikl

Bikes: Kilo TT, Felt z85, Kona Unit 2-9, 90s Schwinn 9.3 with Noleen fork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a good floor pump for at home and a CO2 system for roadside repairs. you CAN use a mini pump to fill a road tire to a pressure that will not pinch flat and get you home (i'd estimate 60-80 psi) but it takes FOREVER.
Old 04-19-13, 07:50 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sinikl
Get a good floor pump for at home and a CO2 system for roadside repairs. you CAN use a mini pump to fill a road tire to a pressure that will not pinch flat and get you home (i'd estimate 60-80 psi) but it takes FOREVER.
Most mini pumps are horrid. I use the Topeak RoadMorph which quickly and easily gives me 120psi (because it converts to a floor pump) and has a pressure gauge as well. Expensive but worth it. CO2 is fast and easy but if you get repeated flats, you're in trouble. The best move is to carry a spare tube, the idea being to just change the tube rather than try to fix the flat on the side of the road. You should also carry a repair kit though, in case you get another flat. Always check for what caused the first flat - usually glass, but although you need to search using your finger tips on the inside of the tyre, you can also cut your finger, so be careful.
Old 04-19-13, 07:56 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Oh, I check my tyre pressure every week ... but I'm fussy and pedantic. I lube my chain at the same time. Let the pressure get too low and you can get a pinch flat if you hit a bump. A pinch flat is where the tube presses against the rim, cutting the tube. These are also called snake bites because you typically get two holes.
Old 04-19-13, 08:01 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I'm glad you're enjoying your bike mate. Your task now Grasshopper, is to wear your bike out
Mate, one of the most satisfying parts of bike maintenance is replacing a part you've worn out
Old 04-19-13, 10:14 AM
OneGoodLeg

Bikes: Surly Steamroller

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also check my tire pressure before every ride. In the months with consistent temps, like the summer time, I don't notice a huge change, but during the spring when it can be cool during the morning and than warm up during the day, before cooling off at night, I can notice a 10-20lbs difference in tire pressure. Depending on your tire size, that can be the difference between a pinch flat or not. I had a set of 23c's that were guranteed to get a flat if I was too far off of 120lbs - anything more than 10lbs.
Old 04-21-13, 07:28 PM
soyboy

Bikes: raleigh gran prix converted to fixed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nagrom_
Regarding gatorskins, they ride like crap and are expensive. Lots of alternatives.
anyone who rides and has ridden a variety of tires will tell you that gatorskins ride like a racing tire but last like a hybrid or mountain tire. for the price of 1.5 tires they last the life of 3 or 4 of most others. he was right that there are lots of alternatives but in my many years of riding i've not found one comparable.
Old 04-21-13, 07:39 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by soyboy
anyone who rides and has ridden a variety of tires will tell you that gatorskins ride like a racing tire but last like a hybrid or mountain tire. for the price of 1.5 tires they last the life of 3 or 4 of most others. he was right that there are lots of alternatives but in my many years of riding i've not found one comparable.
I see you have not ridden race tires.

Gatorskins are hard, and ride like ****.
Old 04-21-13, 09:12 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by europa
I use the Topeak RoadMorph which quickly and easily gives me 120psi (because it converts to a floor pump) and has a pressure gauge as well. Expensive but worth it.
You could do a lot of forum searches and find that the RoadMorph is highly regarded. I got mine for around thirty bucks. It does work well and fits on the frame, with the included mount, nice. If you need two bike locks though, you might not want to leave something nice like that on your bike!!!

I got this super cheap, plastic floor pump that even has a gauge from Nashbar a while back:
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...0052_552014_-1___

It is working super despite its "low end" price.

Don't use a tire gauge to check your pressures. Bike tires carry high pressures but very little volume. You can lose quite a bit of pressure just checking it with a gauge. Get a pump with a gauge and use it to check pressure...pump it a stroke or two to "top off" the tire and your're good to go.

Just don't get a cheap "mini pump" that has the pump head fit directly on the valve stem without a hose. Someone your size could easily break the valve stem pumping it.

Keep havin' fun!!
Old 04-22-13, 10:06 PM
sinikl

Bikes: Kilo TT, Felt z85, Kona Unit 2-9, 90s Schwinn 9.3 with Noleen fork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChetLansky
***Update

Is there any rule of thumb as to when you should put air in your tires? Isn't it every week or so? How can I tell how mush PSI should be in the tires? And can anyone recommend a good bike pump and adapter? I have one of those push and release valves which I believe needs an adapter.

Thanks all!
I run 130 PSI in my tires (vittoria zaffiro) (well, actually i run 130 rear, 110 front) and only check pressure 1x/week, before a weekly social ride. I've found they drop around 20-30 PSI in the interim. I used to run em at 100 and then would pinch flat a lot, so i stepped the pressure up and no probs since.

Why only 1x/week pressure check? Because i feel super fast after i pump them up for the social ride. Helps.
Old 04-29-13, 05:41 AM
ChetLansky

Bikes: Strada Custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for chiming in everyone. I needed something sooner than later so I just went to the local sporting goods store by my work and picked up a floor pump. I picked up a Blackburn Air Tower 2. Comes with a built in gauge which I really needed. I'm not talented enough like you guys to tell the PSI from touching the tower. So far so good. Just needed something at home so I can pump up my tires every week.

I have the back at 120. I wanted it pretty firm. I think it was down to 90 before I got the pump. Felt like I was riding through sand!