Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 09:51 AM
mdesanc13

Bikes: Raleigh R300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would like to see drop bars on a 29er with super fat tires, that would be insane.
granted, i havent looked through all 83 pages of this thread, that will take me a while
Old 06-24-13, 11:10 AM
screaminDOHC

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by screaminDOHC
Here is my latest project. Building a gravel grinder/commuter/baby trailer hauler for my wife.

1996(?) Raleigh M-30
Frame is in pristine condition

Will be built up with alloy stem, drop bars, Tiagra 9 speed shifters, SRAM Apex rear derailleur, Shimano (Hollowtech) 105 Crankset, 9 speed Ultegra cassette and picking up a set of used 26" wheels (WTB Dual Duty rims/Formula hubs). Talk about a Franken-Bike! Should be complete within the next couple weeks!

UPDATE!!

Well it's been a while since I've updated this post...

I gave up messing with the SRAM/Shimano interchangability issue, and just got a cheap XT RD.

Parts list:

mid 90's Raleigh M30 Steel Frame/Fork
Tiagra 9 speed shifters
105 Octalink Hollowtech Crankset (with 48T big ring)
9 Speed XT RD
WTB Dual Duty Front Wheel
Sun Ringle Rear Wheel
9 speed Cassette

This should prove to work well for baby hauling duties, and gravel grinder.

Total investment including the frame, about $200.

Old 06-24-13, 11:53 AM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mdesanc13
i would like to see drop bars on a 29er with super fat tires, that would be insane.
granted, i havent looked through all 83 pages of this thread, that will take me a while
They're not vintage, but, you can get a brand new Salsa Fargo 29er set up that way from the manufacturer. It's a very light all-arounder with 2.4 inch tires, like having suspension built in without the inherent issues.
Old 06-24-13, 12:36 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
The Fargo is a jack of all trades though.

Singular cycles basically specializes in this category. And makes a real competition oriented frame. I think the Gryphon is there drop bar XC racing 29er.

https://www.singularcycles.com/

Gryphon

The Peregrine is more of a monster crosser and goes up to a 2.0 tire

THe swift is a MTB bar 29er
Old 06-24-13, 12:52 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12790 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
Since I have been riding more off road and reading a little about dirt drops I feel like I have my set up all wrong. Apparently mine is too much like my road bikes with the exception that the reach is a little short.

I see yours fits what I have read about on setting up dirt drop MTBs. How does it compare to your road fit or to how other MTBs would be set up? I could buy a steep rise stem but I can't help feeling like I will have too much weight on my hands with so little reach. My bike also has older slack MTB geometry and the top tube isn't so long compared to seat tube. I also ride to the trails so what may be best for the dirt may not help me on the ride there.
Quite a few people go for relatively high and close bars but it's definitely not a requirement.

This was how Tomac was rollin' in 1990, fair amount of reach and drop.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 06-24-13 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-24-13, 12:59 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

That got me looking at some olde pro setups and I totally tripped out on this crankset.

Ultegra with 53/56T, the 53T on the outside!

Old 06-24-13, 01:00 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Gryphon at 7.5 lbs frame/fork is a little heavy for racing though. BTW, it's nearly identical in weight to the Fargo, which more people own as well as reviews out there. There is a Fargo2 coming out, the frame weight is TBD. The Fargo Ti is the hot set-up any way you look at it. Pricey though...
Old 06-24-13, 01:03 PM
JJPistols
guy on a bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here's my old one.

Last edited by JJPistols; 06-24-13 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-24-13, 03:38 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Quite a few people go for relatively high and close bars but it's definitely not a requirement.

This was how Tomac was rollin' in 1990, fair amount of reach and drop.
But I'm no pro. It was an issue on my last ride that featured a steep descent with fairly loose dirt. I felt too low and forward which made it difficult to control while I set my weight back and tried not to die I'm going to also lower my hoods so I don't have to have hands really in the hooks to reach the levers. That may help a bit.
Old 06-24-13, 04:39 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 142 Posts
[QUOTE=cyclotoine;15777610]The Fargo is a jack of all trades though.

...and a very good one at that.

Love mine.

Maybe my favorite bicycle this summer.

Fwiw Six riders completed the Almanzo 100 on Fargos.

I did 81 of the 100 on mine before succumbing to "fly fishing itis."

Singular makes neat bicycles as well.

I would love a Peregrine, but my next 29er will come from Firefly.
Old 06-24-13, 06:27 PM
neo_pop_71

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Since I have been riding more off road and reading a little about dirt drops I feel like I have my set up all wrong.Apparently mine is too much like my road bikes with the exception that the reach is a little short.

I see yours fits what I have read about on setting up dirt drop MTBs. How does it compare to your road fit or to how other MTBs would be set up? I could buy a steep rise stem but I can't help feeling like I will have too much weight on my hands with so little reach. My bike also has older slack MTB geometry and the top tube isn't so long compared to seat tube. I also ride to the trails so what may be best for the dirt may not help me on the ride there.
Hey Hairnet, I too did my reading up on drop bar set up, but when it came time to setting up my first dirt drop bike I looked at how Grant Petersen set up the 1987 MB-1 and I built mine around the same principles. I did do some experimenting with different bars, levers, and stem... a wide bar with shallow drops... non-aero levers as I couldn't stand the feeling of the housing digging into my hands when climbing... and an ultra tall stem with a short reach. I should mention that I keep the brake levers low on the curve since I descend in the drops (two finger braking in the drops) and climb with my hands on the top of the curves (and rarely on the bar top flats) for maximum torque. That's what has worked well for me. My road bike is set up completely opposite, on my MB-1 my hands are behind the front axle but my old Schwinn 974 race bike my hands are in front of the axle. The Dura Ace 8 speed shifters are positioned fairly high on the ergo bar too, any lower and it gets uncomfortable quickly. Oh yeah, I'm also running a 140 stem with a mild drop as compared to many classic road stem.

Regarding the dirt drop set up, specifically stem height and stem length, that's my motivation for doing the build with my '90 Nishiki Ariel... I wanted to see if the dirt drop set up could be duplicated with a 1 1/8th threadless set up, a long steer tube, and a short stem. Once I mocked up the front on the Nishiki, I measured and the front ends on the MB-1 and Ariel are very similar. I had to consider the chainstay lengths too, the virtual chainstays on the Ariel are close to those on the MB-1, so we'll see how double butted Tange 4130 does against the Ritchey Logic tubing.

Those short chainstays versus the "slack" geometry you described will make a huge difference in handling and performance. It sounds like the frame geometry on your beautiful Panasonic might be an issue for how far you want to push the bike. If you are in the LaBrea/Pico area, there is a 1986 MB-1 frame for $25.00, the paint is wasted but for that price you could fully customize the bike. Here is the link, it's older but the last time I email the guy he still had the frame, I just didn't want to drive up and get it since I have four frames hanging in the garage waiting for builds. I have nothing to do with the seller, just figure I'll pass along a great deal, here is thew link:

https://losangeles.bidbut.com/a,28,28...s-Angeles-.htm

Let me know if there is anything specific about any of the set ups, I'll be glad to help.

Peace,

-D-

p.s. Didn't my 8 year old angel do a great job painting the Ariel frame, we agreed on classic Yeti colors (I wanted more turquoise than yellow, just like John Parker's road bike), she like frantik's black webbing paint on his tandem... I think she nailed!!! I'm quite stoked that I'll be riding one of her creations as she picked out all the parts on the Ariel dirt drop, one proud dad for sure!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1992MB-1MidgeBar.jpg (99.7 KB, 266 views)
new_MISFITS_laces.jpg (97.9 KB, 509 views)
1992MB-1Levers.jpg (100.0 KB, 516 views)
UltimateKnockOff3.jpg (93.5 KB, 534 views)
86BridgestoneMB-1.jpg (13.4 KB, 494 views)
Old 06-24-13, 06:38 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by neo_pop_71
p.s. Didn't my 8 year old angel do a great job painting the Ariel frame, we agreed on classic Yeti colors (I wanted more turquoise than yellow, just like John Parker's road bike), she like frantik's black webbing paint on his tandem... I think she nailed!!! I'm quite stoked that I'll be riding one of her creations as she picked out all the parts on the Ariel dirt drop, one proud dad for sure!
Yes, the paint looks great!
Old 06-24-13, 08:48 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Thanks, Neo_Pop. I emailed that guy and them my friend, who has been around dirt drop MTBs for a long time, discouraged me from picking it up.
Old 06-25-13, 08:20 AM
taJai

Bikes: 1993 Giant ATX 770, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur, 2009 Trek 2.1, Surly Krampus

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sick bikes, I love this thread!

I'm really trying to get my build going but I think the frame I was intending to use might be too big. Seat tube is 20" (Center to Top: "Top" is where top tube meets the seat tube, not the actual top of the seat tube), and the top tube is close to 22.5". I'm 5'11" with a ~32" inseam but I have longish arms and a long torso. I mocked it up and the fit seems close the the set up on my modern road bike (56cm) with a "race" fit. I'm just using some ergo drops I had lying around and I'm not taking this on any smooth single track or gravel roads (we don't really have them around here). I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but my intentions are to create a commuter/path bomber/all around bike and to learn the ins and outs of building up a bike from random parts. As such, I was hoping for a more upright seating position than my road bike. I have a threadless adapter on there that won't allow me to raise it much of all, and I have a pretty tall (I forget the raise) stem but even if I could get the bars higher, I'd still be dealing with the long reach.

Should I try to get a smaller frame to work with? There's an 18" Karakoram for sale locally I was thinking about scooping up but I wonder if that would be too small. Clearly I don't know much about fit or even what makes me comfortable. I'm not sure what my ideal mountain bike size is either. I have what I think is a 17" that was given to me that I think might be a bit small.

Sorry I'm babbling. I'm just having some problems and don't know what I'm doing!
Old 06-25-13, 08:40 AM
wintermute

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1986 Kuwahara ATB, 2006 Bianchi Volpe, 2016 Salsa Fargo

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by neo_pop_71
Hey HairnetI should mention that I keep the brake levers low on the curve since I descend in the drops (two finger braking in the drops) and climb with my hands on the top of the curves (and rarely on the bar top flats) for maximum torque. That's what has worked well for me. My road bike is set up completely opposite...The Dura Ace 8 speed shifters are positioned fairly high on the ergo bar too, any lower and it gets uncomfortable quickly.
I wonder if you can have the best of both worlds by purchasing Tektro/Origin 8 short reach levers...of course, if the housings on aero levers are bothering you, then this isn't an option.
Old 06-25-13, 08:49 AM
simpleton.

Bikes: 2012 Rivendell Atlantis, 2012 Soma Double Cross DC,1984 Fisher Mt. Tam, 1992 Trek 970, 1993 Bridgestone MB-2, 1985 Trek 870

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taJai
Sick bikes, I love this thread!

I'm really trying to get my build going but I think the frame I was intending to use might be too big. Seat tube is 20" (Center to Top: "Top" is where top tube meets the seat tube, not the actual top of the seat tube), and the top tube is close to 22.5". I'm 5'11" with a ~32" inseam but I have longish arms and a long torso. I mocked it up and the fit seems close the the set up on my modern road bike (56cm) with a "race" fit. I'm just using some ergo drops I had lying around and I'm not taking this on any smooth single track or gravel roads (we don't really have them around here). I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but my intentions are to create a commuter/path bomber/all around bike and to learn the ins and outs of building up a bike from random parts. As such, I was hoping for a more upright seating position than my road bike. I have a threadless adapter on there that won't allow me to raise it much of all, and I have a pretty tall (I forget the raise) stem but even if I could get the bars higher, I'd still be dealing with the long reach.

Should I try to get a smaller frame to work with? There's an 18" Karakoram for sale locally I was thinking about scooping up but I wonder if that would be too small. Clearly I don't know much about fit or even what makes me comfortable. I'm not sure what my ideal mountain bike size is either. I have what I think is a 17" that was given to me that I think might be a bit small.

Sorry I'm babbling. I'm just having some problems and don't know what I'm doing!

For me It was all a matter of trial and error. Follow through with your original plan you might be surprised. I just set up my Niner MCR9 with Drop bars and thought there is no way it's going to fit me. But was pleasntly surprised that it not only fit but felt great! Coming from an MTB background setting up dropbars was sort of like black magic but now that I've done it a few times I'm really able to decide what I like and what I don't. One thing I've realized is that the hoods are not my defult position it's the ramps. but the hoods are great for when I'm climbing out of the saddle or if I want to strech out. Just little things like that. And now I'm babbling.
Old 06-25-13, 08:54 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by simpleton.
For me It was all a matter of trial and error. Follow through with your original plan you might be surprised. I just set up my Niner MCR9 with Drop bars and thought there is no way it's going to fit me. But was pleasntly surprised that it not only fit but felt great! Coming from an MTB background setting up dropbars was sort of like black magic but now that I've done it a few times I'm really able to decide what I like and what I don't. One thing I've realized is that the hoods are not my defult position it's the ramps. but the hoods are great for when I'm climbing out of the saddle or if I want to strech out. Just little things like that. And now I'm babbling.
Your Niner sounds very cool.

Any chance you could post a pic?
Old 06-25-13, 09:00 AM
taJai

Bikes: 1993 Giant ATX 770, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur, 2009 Trek 2.1, Surly Krampus

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Babble Tuesday. Yeah maybe I'll just continue on and finish it up. I have most of the parts that I need save for some cables and other small bits. If it doesn't work with the drops I could maybe set it up with some porteur style bars. I just got some VO Porteurs for a conversion on my main squeeze's bike and I dig the look of them. Maybe some swept back bars could shorten the reach and I could find another frame for the drops and hoods. I'll post it up when I'm finished.

Yes, post pics of said Niner!
Old 06-25-13, 09:51 AM
simpleton.

Bikes: 2012 Rivendell Atlantis, 2012 Soma Double Cross DC,1984 Fisher Mt. Tam, 1992 Trek 970, 1993 Bridgestone MB-2, 1985 Trek 870

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pictures of my Niner? I'd love to but, this is the C&V forum... I don't want to catch any flack First things first. I still need to take a few pictures.. I'll post em up tonight.
Old 06-25-13, 06:52 PM
neo_pop_71

Thanks, Neo_Pop. I emailed that guy and them my friend, who has been around dirt drop MTBs for a long time, discouraged me from picking it up.
Hairnet, did your buddy give a reason for passing on the MB-1 frame?

https://sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/...tone-mb-1.html

I suppose I could see why if we lived where mud might clog the chainstay brake. Could it be the lack of a fork? Otherwise, I fail to see what's not to like about a lugged double butted oversized CrMo frame with short chainstays and a cool roller cam brake... seems tasty to me!

If the seller gets back to you, go get it, it's cheaper than a meal out at House Of Pies! It'll make a fine dirt drop bike, go with a modern style build and get a new 1" threadless set up. Want another reason? You could always build a road bike, follow the link and check the "NOTES" portion of the catalog, Grant Petersen designed the frame to take a 700c wheel and a road brake caliper can be mounted on the seatstay bridge support. I'll say it again... seems tasty to me!!!

-D-
Attached Images
BridgestoneMB-1catalog.jpg (99.0 KB, 501 views)
Old 06-25-13, 07:14 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Well it looks a little small and he is confident he can find me something more modern/sporty. He is one of those C&V collectors with a knack for finding amazing bikes for very little, he has been around cycling for 30+ years and doing it on the cheap. I'm in no hurry and he might let me borrow his Ti Merlin for a little while.
Old 06-25-13, 07:44 PM
neo_pop_71

Well it looks a little small and he is confident he can find me something more modern/sporty. He is one of those C&V collectors with a knack for finding amazing bikes for very little, he has been around cycling for 30+ years and doing it on the cheap. I'm in no hurry and he might let me borrow his Ti Merlin for a little while.
Wow, cool... he sounds like me! I rode in my first BMX race over in Long Beach back in '77, 35 years later my love of riding and building hasn't dipped. Heck, it's only gotten stronger since pee-wee has jumped in the boat and she is probably better than me already!!! Good luck hunting as it's half the fun!

Cheers!

-D-

p.s. ...he might let me borrow his Ti Merlin for a little while. Man, I need a friend like that!!!
Old 06-25-13, 08:16 PM
simpleton.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welp... Here you go

Aesthetically I don't care for it, but it rides so nice.
Old 06-25-13, 08:22 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Welp... Here you go

Aesthetically I don't care for it, but it rides so nice.
There should be no surprise that I think this is badass.
Old 06-25-13, 08:27 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Explain to me what's going on with that seatpost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.