Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel size, tire size, tube size confusion - newb alert. Pls don't flame.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-14, 06:49 PM
stevehomer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A bit nervous about posting this as I fgell sure I will get flamed but I have been trying to sort this out for about four weeks.

I have spent well over four hours trying to sort all this out. Checked here, checked Sheldon's and other useful sites but...

I’m a very occasional cyclist with a garage-sale bought Schwinn hybrid.

I lent my bike to a friend of my ex-wife (not the reason for the “ex” but it did not help) while I was out of the country. Somehow he kept getting punctures where I had had none.

After he left both tires deflated and, with the bike on the ground, I reversed over the front wheel. No good deed etc.

The wheel is an XRIMS 622x19 (cannot find “XRIM” anywhere) the existing tire is a Cheng Shin 44-622 700-42c c-1313-2 (which I believe translates to 28 x 1.625) and the inner tube is a Kenda 700 x35/43C which seems to make no sense to me.

I am on Maui in Hawaii so local bike shops are fairly few and far between and FEROCIOUSLY expensive.

I have tried to find the same size wheel on Amazon but keep getting confused so:

QUESTION 2:
What size wheel am I looking for (this is what is driving me crazy)? I am looking for something inexpensive. Anywhere as good as Amazon on shipping?

Actually I guess I should ask… QUESTION 1:
The guy I lent the bike to said he kept getting punctures from thorns. I have felt all the way around the inside of the tire and can feel nothing and the leak seems to be near the valve on the front wheel so seems more like a failure or a pinch. Do I NEED to get a new tire? (I am probably going to be getting rids of the bike fairly soon.)

QUESTION 3:
Is 700 x35/43C the correct sized inner tube?

Please forgive what I am sure are incredibly newb questions. I have got part way reading info on this site and elsewhere but I am soooooooooooooooo confused.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Aloha

Steve
Old 08-04-14, 07:03 PM
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome to the Forums, Steve!

In a nutshell, you need a 700c rear wheel with a 19mm wide rim (or as close as you can get to 19mm). The important thing is to also count the number of sprockets on the rear wheel, and make sure that the hub matches the number of sprockets (8 speed or 9 speed).

If the tire itself isn't cut or otherwise damaged, then it should be fine. As you surmised, you need a 700 x 35 to 43mm inner tube. Tubes are designed to fit a range of tire sizes, so don't let that throw you. Make sure you get the matching valve, both for the tube and the wheel. If your original wheel has the larger Schraeder valve instead of the narrower Presta valve, the new wheel can be drilled for the larger valve.

All of the other numbers (622 x 19) are International or Overseas equivalents; the important measurement is the 700 x 19 rim, and the 700 x 42 tire & tube.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-04-14, 07:11 PM
stevehomer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldskoolwrench
Welcome to the Forums, Steve!

In a nutshell, you need a 700c rear wheel with a 19mm wide rim (or as close as you can get to 19mm). The important thing is to also count the number of sprockets on the rear wheel, and make sure that the hub matches the number of sprockets (8 speed or 9 speed).

If the tire itself isn't cut or otherwise damaged, then it should be fine. As you surmised, you need a 700 x 35 to 43mm inner tube. Tubes are designed to fit a range of tire sizes, so don't let that throw you. Make sure you get the matching valve, both for the tube and the wheel. If your original wheel has the larger Schraeder valve instead of the narrower Presta valve, the new wheel can be drilled for the larger valve.

All of the other numbers (622 x 19) are International or Overseas equivalents; the important measurement is the 700 x 19 rim, and the 700 x 42 tire & tube.

Hope this helps!
oldskoolwrench thanks think that may be very helpful - it is a FRONT not rear wheel (thank goodness) (sorry to be unclear). Just to confirm it is a 700 x 19 rim I need?

TIA Steve
Old 08-04-14, 07:14 PM
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stevehomer
oldskoolwrench thanks think that may be very helpful - it is a FRONT not rear wheel (thank goodness) (sorry to be unclear). Just to confirm it is a 700 x 19 rim I need?

TIA Steve
That is correct; you could also take a ruler and measure the width of the rim just to be sure.
Old 08-04-14, 07:24 PM
stevehomer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldskoolwrench
That is correct; you could also take a ruler and measure the width of the rim just to be sure.
Ha well I guess that is mm of the inside of the rim. Here in the Land of the Free and Home of the Inch the only mm measure I have is on a plastic clipboard :-)

I don't know how you guys (and gals) do it. Nowhere does it say 700 x19 on that list of numbers I quoted. Bicycle wheel and tire sizing is one of the oddest things I have EVER come across.

Now I just have to find a wheel that costs less than the $75 I paid for the whole bike! Thanks so much for your kind and prompt help.
Old 08-04-14, 07:42 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Bicycle wheel and tire sizing is a very mixed bag of inch and semi-metric nomenclature dating in many cases from the late 1800's. There were many misleading duplicates like at least 4 different rims known as 26" but none of them are interchangeable.

The only rational way to describe them is by the current ISO system that gives the rim diameter at the tire bead seat in mm. For example 700c is ISO 622, the old 27" is ISO 630 and the most common 26" MTB rim is ISO 559. Every common and most obsolete rims have an ISO size standard.

The tire diameter must match the rim diameter so a 700c rim (ISO 622) must use a 700c (also ISO 622) tire. Rim width is not so critical and a relatively wide range of tire widths can fit and work adequately on a given rim. Most road rims are about 13 mm inside width and take tires from say 23 to 28 mm wide. Hybrids usually take a wider rim (like your 19 mm) to better suit wider tires, say 32 to 45 mm or thereabouts.
Old 08-04-14, 07:47 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Depending on where you are in the world and to whom you are talking, the same wheel may referred to as 28 inch or 700c or 622.

Tire/wheel sizing can be very confusing - read what Sheldon had to say about tire sizing: Tire Sizing Systems
And about measuring rim width: Measuring Bicycle Rims and Hub Flanges
Old 08-04-14, 07:48 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Ha well I guess that is mm of the inside of the rim. Here in the Land of the Free and Home of the Inch the only mm measure I have is on a plastic clipboard :-)

I don't know how you guys (and gals) do it. Nowhere does it say 700 x19 on that list of numbers I quoted. Bicycle wheel and tire sizing is one of the oddest things I have EVER come across.

Now I just have to find a wheel that costs less than the $75 I paid for the whole bike! Thanks so much for your kind and prompt help.
The very first number in your list had the rim width. The 622 is a rim diameter and the 19 was the rime width.

Good luck getting a decently priced wheel.

Cheers from Miele Man
Old 08-04-14, 08:30 PM
stevehomer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well thank you guys. What an incredibly helpful and freindly forum. A delight - unlike Stack Overflow who are on you like a hoard of sharks if you do not ask a question the way they want :-(

The only bit I do not get is if it is 622 diameter how is it a 700 wheel? But never mind.

Any recommendations for online places for modestly priced wheels?
Old 08-04-14, 08:33 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
all advice above is correct

even pricey shops should be able
to order
if they dont have in stock
a decent 700c replacement front wheel
for probably between 50 and 75 dollars
in mainland money

of course
in remote areas of canada
every item sold contains a hidden shipping surcharge
especially for somewhat bulky items like refrigerators
or bike wheels or frames

i dont know how it works in hi
the price might be double what you would expect to pay in less remote places
Old 08-04-14, 08:36 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
Well thank you guys. What an incredibly helpful and freindly forum. A delight - unlike Stack Overflow who are on you like a hoard of sharks if you do not ask a question the way they want :-(

The only bit I do not get is if it is 622 diameter how is it a 700 wheel? But never mind.

Any recommendations for online places for modestly priced wheels?
the diameter of the rim
measured from where the bead of the tire seats
known as the bead seat diameter
or bsd
is 622 mm

if you add a tire of moderate width
the diameter of the wheel is nominally 700 mm

there is also a reason that it is 700c
as there used to be 700 a and 700b
but dont worry about that
if you ask any bike shop for a 700 hybrid or touring tire
you will get one that fits
Old 08-04-14, 08:48 PM
stevehomer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
all advice above is correct

even pricey shops should be able
to order
if they dont have in stock
a decent 700c replacement front wheel
for probably between 50 and 75 dollars
in mainland money

of course
in remote areas of canada
every item sold contains a hidden shipping surcharge
especially for somewhat bulky items like refrigerators
or bike wheels or frames

i dont know how it works in hi
the price might be double what you would expect to pay in less remote places
Yeah that is what I am worried about!

The whole bike only cost $75 I think! Oh me and my reversing.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh cycle rental companies here have scond hand wheels for sale - God help me lol! These are bikes that ONLY go downhill!