Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-14, 12:00 PM
interceptorjg

Bikes: Many, many...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got the final stem for the Trek, in the mail, yesterday. It is a Sunlite (sp?) 1-1/8" quill, with the removable faceplate.

More details at Two Wheels - Six Strings: Bike Work Day, Including a New Stem For the Drop Bar Trek
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
stem1.jpg (92.9 KB, 542 views)
sten2.jpg (96.6 KB, 631 views)
Old 08-30-14, 07:23 PM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

My current drop bar MBT. A late eighties KHS Expedition. Not really pretty like most of the other bikes in this thread. Its kind of my Utility rig, I tow a dog trailer with it, and a regular trailer around town. Since I live five miles out of town, on flint and bad pavement, the big tires are great. This thing gets mostly ridden at night in the summer. Its a tank, the drop bar is steel. Ride this around town for a while and my 25mm road bike feels like a rocket. Heck, my 35mm bikes feel like lightweight time trial bikes after riding this thing up a hill...
Attached Images
IMG_9895 - Copy.jpg (103.4 KB, 765 views)

Last edited by shipwreck; 08-30-14 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-31-14, 11:50 AM
interceptorjg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know, Shipwreck, but I think it's kinda pretty...
Old 09-02-14, 11:33 AM
bici_mania

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shipwreck

My current drop bar MBT. A late eighties KHS Expedition. Not really pretty like most of the other bikes in this thread. Its kind of my Utility rig, I tow a dog trailer with it, and a regular trailer around town. Since I live five miles out of town, on flint and bad pavement, the big tires are great. This thing gets mostly ridden at night in the summer. Its a tank, the drop bar is steel. Ride this around town for a while and my 25mm road bike feels like a rocket. Heck, my 35mm bikes feel like lightweight time trial bikes after riding this thing up a hill...
Tanks are cool. That bike looks like it would reliably carry a rider through the apocalypse. I can certainly dig it.
Old 09-02-14, 12:08 PM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Tanks...

Its interesting that most of my buddies have new Salsa Vayas, fat bikes, and the like, but they all think this bike is cool looking. Some of them have adjusted the fit of their bikes influenced by the way I have this one set up.
Old 09-02-14, 12:16 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts

I like it. When I first rode my drop bar mtb after doing the conversion, I immediately christened the bike, "the tank." These bikes are built like tanks. I use mine purely as a utility bike as well.
Old 09-02-14, 12:59 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by interceptorjg

I got the final stem for the Trek, in the mail, yesterday. It is a Sunlite (sp?) 1-1/8" quill, with the removable faceplate.

More details at Two Wheels - Six Strings: Bike Work Day, Including a New Stem For the Drop Bar Trek
1-1/8" where did you buy it?
Old 09-02-14, 02:40 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
I don't know where interceptorjg bought his but here's one source:

Sunlite Alloy 2-Bolt Stem - 1-1/8" x 80mm, 25.4mm Clamp, 25-Degree, Black Anodized

I've had it bookmarked because it's the size I need for my '93 Raleigh MTB
Old 09-02-14, 03:09 PM
interceptorjg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, that's where mine came from, as well.
Old 09-02-14, 03:52 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Tanks...

Its interesting that most of my buddies have new Salsa Vayas, fat bikes, and the like, but they all think this bike is cool looking. Some of them have adjusted the fit of their bikes influenced by the way I have this one set up.
I think it looks great too.
Old 09-03-14, 11:07 AM
bici_mania

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeeze
I don't know where interceptorjg bought his but here's one source:

Sunlite Alloy 2-Bolt Stem - 1-1/8" x 80mm, 25.4mm Clamp, 25-Degree, Black Anodized

I've had it bookmarked because it's the size I need for my '93 Raleigh MTB
Well I learned something new today. I don't think I have ever heard of or seen a 1-1/8th" quill stem before.
Old 09-03-14, 06:38 PM
interceptorjg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started a ride thread about our upcoming assault on Webster's Pass, in Park County, CO. We are going to hit the trail, this Saturday.

More to come.

Here is the thread
Old 09-06-14, 10:06 PM
Uncle Randy

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour, Fuji Newest 2.0, Fausto Coppi Torino,Bridgestone RB-2, CB-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this 1987 Steve Potts the bike that inspired this thread?

MOMBAT: 1987 Steve Potts drop bar
Old 09-07-14, 05:53 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Uncle Randy

Nope, mine came from a Ross Mt Hood conversion Chris in Miami posted.
Old 09-08-14, 07:18 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
Against the rules-
(warning: snobs move along)

Finally got around to finishing this 80's Schwinn Hurricane 18 speed triple acquired during the Clunker 100 challenge. Picked up from Goodwill, stripped and then shoved into the attic.

Laugh along..... kept the SIS but pulled the plastics including the faux spider on the crank. The track bar is a hoot and can run inverted. The thumb shifters were stripped of the index gauge and now work as a paddle shift, hidden under the bars. The brake levers were also stripped of the plastics, reset the lever action for the drop track bars. Raleigh 501 pedals with crusty Christophe's now refinished with flat black. Ping Pong China direct supplied the cheapo bar tape, brake pads, chain, toe-clip straps cost $16.53 shipped to door. Donor bars and aptly named H20 stem from my friendly LBS. Vintage made in Germany Continental 26" x 2" slicks squeel nicely so they must be happy. I kept the original Schrader valved tubes only because they checked out good and have some sort of sealant. Salvaged a wrecked rear Voyager rack, modified and now mounts to the front - rock solid. Schwinn racer saddle pulled from another junk bike. I just had to keep that chrome derailleur crash guard - lol.

So how does it ride? Everything is clickity smooth, the Shimano canti's grab like they should, the saddle is not to my comfort level but overall the fatty rubber evens the deal out. Its lazy in fast corners and transitions. With this ATB final gear inch, I run out of top end in a hurry- Hurry'cane? Nothing like the pile of road bikes but I think it could cover ground just fine and eat the rough stuff. Might off it to one of the kids as a starter roadie.

Attached Images
IMG_6970sm.jpg (101.4 KB, 528 views)
IMG_6971sm.jpg (44.9 KB, 520 views)
schwinn hurricane a.jpg (105.0 KB, 578 views)
schwinn hurricane b.jpg (104.3 KB, 528 views)
schwinn hurricane c.jpg (101.2 KB, 530 views)

Last edited by crank_addict; 09-08-14 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-08-14, 08:10 PM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts
[QUOTE=crank_addict;17112934]Against the rules-

Finally got around to finishing this 80's Schwinn Hurricane 18 speed triple acquired during the Clunker 100 challenge. Picked up from Goodwill, stripped and then shoved into the attic.

Laugh along..... kept the SIS but pulled the plastics including the faux spider on the crank. The track bar is a hoot and can run inverted. The thumb shifters were stripped of the index gauge and now work as a paddle shift, hidden under the bars. The brake levers were also stripped of the plastics, reset the lever action for the drop track bars. Raleigh 501 pedals with crusty Christophe's now refinished with flat black. Ping Pong China direct supplied the cheapo bar tape, brake pads, chain, toe-clip straps cost $16.53 shipped to door. Donor bars and aptly named H20 stem from my friendly LBS. Vintage made in Germany Continental 26" x 2" slicks squeel nicely so they must be happy. I kept the original Schrader valved tubes only because they checked out good and have some sort of sealant. Salvaged a wrecked rear Voyager rack, modified and now mounts to the front - rock solid. Schwinn racer saddle pulled from another junk bike. I just had to keep that chrome derailleur crash guard - lol.

So how does it ride? Everything is clickity smooth, the Shimano canti's grab like they should, the saddle is not to my comfort level but overall the fatty rubber evens the deal out. Its lazy in fast corners and transitions. With this ATB final gear inch, I run out of top end in a hurry- Hurry'cane? Nothing like the pile of road bikes but I think it could cover ground just fine and eat the rough stuff. Might off it to one of the kids as a starter roadie.

[/QUO

That don`t look half bad. Nice cheap build. Looks solid. The kids should love it.
Old 09-08-14, 08:35 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts

What's the doohickie on the seat post?
Old 09-08-14, 09:19 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
What's the doohickie on the seat post?
A Hite Rite, the granddaddy of a dropper seat post.
Old 09-09-14, 01:02 AM
Uncle Randy

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour, Fuji Newest 2.0, Fausto Coppi Torino,Bridgestone RB-2, CB-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Against the rules-

It looks great. I'm going with some Nashbar slicks on my CB-1 conversion to decrease rolling resistance. Looking at your photos I see another purpose of the reflectors that I didn't realize. If the brake cable clamp bolt slips, the reflector mount will prevent the straddle cable from hitting the knobs on the tires and causing a sudden stop. I thought they looked unusually sturdy when I removed them from my CB-1. After I clean my bike they are going back on.
Old 09-09-14, 01:10 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12790 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
For me it was this Schwinn Varsity that Bob Crispin fit with fat tires and a rear disc brake in 1974

Old 09-09-14, 10:13 AM
crank_addict
Banned

thanks S.W. and U.Randy- The Hurricane was just one of those 'what the heck, why not?' This one could have been heading for the scrap but now resurrected. Doubtful many would even spend a dime on it or take the time. Was rough looking but a straight and sturdy Hi-ten frame is just the ticket for a youngster to beat on.

The disposable crank design cracks me up. How in the world they mated aluminum arms to a steel spider, spot welded chainrings is beyond me. Without hardware or ring bolts, its fairly lightweight...lol.

Front rack mount allows just enough clearance for the brake straddle cable. Its very close but works.

Notice I kept the original cables. Only pulled, clean and lube. Good enough

(BTW: Thanks for the reminder of the Nashbar slicks. Probably should look into getting and save these Continentals. They're worth more than the bike whole.)

Next:
I've been considering another mtn. bike road drop project but again, a junk bin build. Its an earlier Stumpjumper hard tail with a rigid road fork. The frame is not pretty but will leave the original paint. It has some unknown vintage road fork with a bi-plane crown. This time around, want to go up in wheels to 700c and ride on cross rubber. Its a light frame to begin with and will keep that goal in mind during component selection.

Attached Images
hurricane decal a.jpg (93.7 KB, 439 views)
hurricane decal b.jpg (92.7 KB, 453 views)
IMG_6972sm.jpg (100.4 KB, 450 views)
IMG_6987sm.jpg (88.7 KB, 463 views)

Last edited by crank_addict; 09-09-14 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-09-14, 10:58 AM
Uncle Randy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
A Hite Rite, the granddaddy of a dropper seat post.
Old 09-09-14, 11:08 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Against the rules-
Since when does this thread have rules?
Old 09-09-14, 12:15 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
(snip)
Next:
I've been considering another mtn. bike road drop project but again, a junk bin build. Its an earlier Stumpjumper hard tail with a rigid road fork. The frame is not pretty but will leave the original paint. It has some unknown vintage road fork with a bi-plane crown. This time around, want to go up in wheels to 700c and ride on cross rubber. Its a light frame to begin with and will keep that goal in mind during component selection.

Stumpjumpers are certainly not junk! I have one and it's great for all-around use, even some hard-pack dirt trails with 700X32c wheel/tire combination. I love my Stumpy! If you are going to convert to 700c make sure that the brake bridge and fork is drilled out for nutted brakes. If you want to use inset bolt caliper brakes you'll need to have the fork and rear holes re-configured by a local bike builder, as I did. Most importantly, have fun!
Old 09-09-14, 12:58 PM
crank_addict
Banned

thanks for the heads up anixi-

Agree the Stumpjumper as whole is not junk. I meant the parts selection to build will be from odd's and not the pretty pile. The frame I have is cosmetically rough including two minor dings. The fork is incorrect to the bike but I rather like it. Have yet to decide on a rear brake and whether to drill the bridge. The rear cant. bosses might be good for a custom rack set-up. I want to go up to 700c for many reasons plus have plenty of quality cross tires on hand. Again, the game for this one is budget squeeze cheap. It will be a good beater (does that even make sense?), loaner or perhaps gift it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.