Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-15, 09:30 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
So you do know that a longer spindle might let you use the 105 crank? Spindle length is usually dependent on the cranks, and not the frame. Unless you were trying to get away with using what was already on the bike. Done that before myself.,,,,BD
For sure, but I'm trying to do this with parts on hand. Sort of considering putting it in the velo cheapo thread, but I had to go and get that expensive seatpost. I'll probably try and figure out what length I need later and use the 105 crank again.
Old 12-08-15, 09:31 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Another quick mockup, starting to come together more:

Old 12-08-15, 11:20 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12791 Post(s)
Liked 7,699 Times in 4,087 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels

Ooooh, that's really coming along nicely!
Old 12-09-15, 08:29 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,509 Times in 409 Posts
Looking good.

I like you many times try to get the build done with parts on hand to ride and get to know the bike
to determine if I want to invest more dollars with a few upgrades or pass it on to someone else.

Your Hard Rock looks pretty close to the year of my 1987 22" Hard Rock Comp
but mine had white and pinkish fade paint.

I did commit ( to some a sin) of sanding it down and painting it.

Over several thousand miles the paint has gotten chipped up pretty badly and I have it currently stripped down to bare frame
trying to figure if I want to invest in a powdercoat job. It served as my grocery getter bike with rear rack and basket.

However I have two other project frames in the queue ahead of the Hard Rock Comp.

Did you weigh your frame and fork?
Interesting that mine weighs 6 lbs for frame and 2 lbs for fork for 8 total.
I had another around 90 or so model Hard Rock they must have added some lead filler or something as it weighed 10 lbs total for bare frame and fork.
I did not keep it long.

The next frame up I am excited about and the lightest vintage / rigid mt bike frame I have had after about a dozen is a 1990 Trek 7000. It weighs 6.75 lbs for frame and fork.

I hope you enjoy your Hard Rock as I have enjoyed mine.

My current 'grocery getter' with that rack and basket is a 91 Rockhopper with good paint.

Last edited by cooperryder; 01-04-16 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-09-15, 09:33 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by cooperryder
Looking good.

I like you many times try to get the build done with parts on hand to ride and get to know the bike
to determine if I want to invest more dollars with a few upgrades or pass it on to someone else.

Your Hard Rock looks pretty close to the year of my 1987 22" Hard Rock Comp
but mine had white and pinkish fade paint.

I did commit ( to some a sin) of sanding it down and painting it.

Over several thousand miles the paint has gotten chipped up pretty badly and I have it currently stripped down to bare frame
trying to figure if I want to invest in a powdercoat job. It served as my grocery getter bike with rear rack and basket.

However I have two other project frames in the queue ahead of the Hard Rock Comp.

Did you weigh your frame and fork?
Interesting that mine weighs 6 lbs for frame and 2 lbs for fork for 8 total.
I had another around 90 or so model Hard Rock they must have added some lead filler or something as it weighed 10 lbs total for bare frame and fork.
I did not keep it long.

The next frame up I am excited about and the lightest vintage / rigid mt bike frame I have had after about a dozen is a 1990 Trek 7000. It weighs 7.75 lbs for frame and fork.

I hope you enjoy your Hard Rock as I have enjoyed mine.

My current 'grocery getter' with that rack and basket is a 91 Rockhopper with good paint.
I did weigh the frame+fork. Mine was also right at 8 pounds. As far as I can tell from old catalogs, they usually made at least one "nice" Rockhopper that would be full Chromo while the others would have Hi-Ten seatstays and chainstays, and maybe a couple of other variances. So my Ultra was the "nice" one for '93 and your '87 Comp probably had a similar tube set.

As much as I've gone back and forth about the paint here, I really REALLY wish it were nicer. Up close, the paint really is amazing, except for the scratch and scuff on every last tube of the bike. It's this beautiful pearl finish on both colors, and I'm actually a big fan of pink. Like I said, I'll probably leave it for the time being, because it really is cool. But if I decide to commit to the frame long term, I'm not going to be able to live with all the chips and scuffs.
Old 12-09-15, 10:57 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
I had an 18" version of that EXACT same frame. I left it with Nitto riser bars, Shimano Rapid Rise? shifters. I sold it to someone who was a little taller than me, but it was fun.

Yours is coming along fine. Keep posting more as you move along
Old 12-10-15, 08:36 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

I'll ask this question here since it seems the most appropriate place and might serve as a useful bit of info for people looking at this thread down the road:

What rims are people using? I was thinking Sun CR18 rims as I need to, at minimum, put a new rim on the rear. Long term, I also need to build a front dynamo wheel. Is there something out there a little bit nicer/lighter then the CR18? The price seems really good, so it might be worth a little bit of a hit on weight, but at 8 pounds for frame and fork, grams add up fast. Let me know what you folks are using.
Old 12-10-15, 08:47 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 89 Posts
I'll ask this question here since it seems the most appropriate place and might serve as a useful bit of info for people looking at this thread down the road:

What rims are people using? I was thinking Sun CR18 rims as I need to, at minimum, put a new rim on the rear. Long term, I also need to build a front dynamo wheel. Is there something out there a little bit nicer/lighter then the CR18? The price seems really good, so it might be worth a little bit of a hit on weight, but at 8 pounds for frame and fork, grams add up fast. Let me know what you folks are using.
Sun Rhynolites are beefier and wider, if you need t use a wider tire. Lighter? No, but I don't think they're that much heavier, and they cost about the same.
Old 12-10-15, 09:33 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts

I have 3 late 80's/early 90's mountain bikes. The dirt-drop has Mavic XM719's, one has Rhyno Lites, and one has the original Matrix Single Track Pros. I am in the process of building up a dedicated winter bike and plan to use CR18's for that build.
Old 12-10-15, 09:42 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by arex
Sun Rhynolites are beefier and wider, if you need t use a wider tire. Lighter? No, but I don't think they're that much heavier, and they cost about the same.
Rhyno Lites weigh 575g and are 27.5mm wide
CR-18's weigh 440g and are 22.5mm wide

Both pretty good value at around twenty bucks. I would use the Rhyno Lites on a bike that I was planning to use primarily off-road and the CR-18's on a bike that I was planning to use primarily on-road.
Old 12-10-15, 06:31 PM
bike_galpal
Banned.

Bikes: Swobo Sanchez 3x1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i joined the club...

no it's not all pretty like everyone elses but i'm poor.
Old 12-10-15, 06:43 PM
bike_galpal
Banned.

Bikes: Swobo Sanchez 3x1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, so you guys did this to me. Picked up this heap for more money than I probably should have ($60) today. Odd situation and I had already talked myself into the bike before I went to look at it knowing that I was going to replace nearly everything on it.

As picked up and pictured there, it weighed a total of 30 pounds. Stripped down, the frame and fork weighed in at 8 pounds. I have a ton of parts bin stuff, including a full late 80's 105 group that will go on the bike. The rear rim was pretty much beyond saving, but I might ride it for a bit. I don't think a single component was original, and the paint is not very good. Lots of chips and scrapes. I've been envisioning a bare metal finish, so that may happen. But the 3.75 year old daughter really likes the pink and purple, so it might stay for a while.

I will try to hack it together over the next week and see if I can get it road worthy with the rear rim situation. We'll see.
I like the pink and purple. keep the paint for ME
Old 12-11-15, 04:28 PM
Bicycle Addict

Bikes: Marin Bolinas ridge, Carlton Corsa 5, Falcon Olympic 12, 98 Shesh Rockhopper,

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys I have been messing with this for a little while, I put the wheels off my SS on to see what the tyres looked like and I am hooked.
Sora 3550 2 X 9, waiting on hubs(well cash actually) then I will finish it up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (52.6 KB, 688 views)
Old 12-12-15, 05:46 AM
murraysbikes123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thought I should report back with a photo of our matching Dawes, here's a shot from a recent bikecamp we had around the Otways in Victoria (AUS). I've gone with the rat trap pass tyres and some sweet Japanese fenders I took off an Apollo Kosciusko. Not sure the tyres are worth the dollars, but now the money's gone I'm happy to have them, they're pretty freakin nice - comfy but fast.
My girlfriends bike was also lots of fun to put together, nitto moustache, brooks, shwalbes and a tubus rack. Oh and they both have Wald baskets now, which are super convenient for around town.

Attached Images
_DSC7280.jpg (102.2 KB, 791 views)
Likes For murraysbikes123:
Old 12-12-15, 07:57 AM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

My Trek 970 currently 7 speed barends but I have a set of 8 speed tri color brifters for it. It wears 700/35 tires
using homemade spacers to get brake pads to reach the rims, Tektro levers.
The color is actually purple. It's a great ride on streets or trails.
Just realized this photo bike has 26/1.5 tires, taken before I put the road wheels on it.
Attached Images
0611151640.jpg (94.2 KB, 680 views)

Last edited by a77impala; 12-12-15 at 08:02 AM. Reason: added
Old 12-12-15, 09:07 AM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by murraysbikes123
Thought I should report back with a photo of our matching Dawes, here's a shot from a recent bikecamp we had around the Otways in Victoria (AUS). I've gone with the rat trap pass tyres and some sweet Japanese fenders I took off an Apollo Kosciusko. Not sure the tyres are worth the dollars, but now the money's gone I'm happy to have them, they're pretty freakin nice - comfy but fast.
My girlfriends bike was also lots of fun to put together, nitto moustache, brooks, shwalbes and a tubus rack. Oh and they both have Wald baskets now, which are super convenient for around town.

That is sweeeeet. The girlfriend says let's go, she was looking at the landscape, me the bikes. What type of holder for the wine bottle?
Old 12-12-15, 11:03 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Love those. Nice shot and great bikes.
Old 12-12-15, 07:35 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts

I love the two tone paint on both! Very nice!
Old 12-12-15, 07:51 PM
badger_biker 

Well I think my Panasonic Pro-ATB build is complete after adding some Velo Orange fenders. My son and I are planning to tackle a section of the Great Divide Mountain bike route in Colorado next summer and other than some tweaks resulting from some shake down rides next spring I think it is ready. It weighs in higher than I'd like but for a SUV beast of burden I guess it will have to do.

Old 12-13-15, 10:02 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
The Panasonic is everything that I'd dream of with one of these builds. Hat tipped. That is too cool for words!,,,,BD
Old 12-13-15, 10:34 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_biker
Well I think my Panasonic Pro-ATB build is complete after adding some Velo Orange fenders.
Got any info on that stem?
Old 12-13-15, 07:19 PM
badger_biker 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Got any info on that stem?
This is all I have on it. I like it because of the two bolt clamp and ability to easily remove bars.

Old 12-13-15, 07:29 PM
badger_biker 

Originally Posted by Bikedued
The Panasonic is everything that I'd dream of with one of these builds. Hat tipped. That is too cool for words!,,,,BD
I really appreciate your comments BD! It was a fun project and I'm very pleased on how it turned out and rides. Strictly for cosmetic reasons I'd like to find a silver version of the front rack but I guess this one will work fine. I have a black rear rack I can use but it has mounting straps and I like the clean look of the direct mount this one has.
Old 12-14-15, 08:28 AM
simmonsgc

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_biker
It weighs in higher than I'd like but for a SUV beast of burden I guess it will have to do.
Well, that's a pretty stylish SUV! I really appreciate all the little details on this build. And the black, tan, and brown really works. I'm trying to choose between sks and vo for fender right now for an upcoming build. Did you go for aluminum or stainless? Great job; just looks like a super-usable bike.
Old 12-14-15, 08:58 AM
cog_nate 
"SURE!"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 36 Posts
That cleaned up real nice. Well done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.