Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Adding extra brake levers to drops

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-08, 08:31 AM
prisoner6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have noticed on many touring and other road bikes that they will sometimes come with an additional set of brake levers on the flats of the bars, not just the brakes on the drops.

Are these a good or bad idea? Do they compromise the brakes at all? I do a lot of just cruising on my bike with my girlfriend, and find myself using the flats to just be more relaxed. I was wondering how easily these brake levers could be added to my bike.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-08, 08:38 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They used to be standard equipment on the old Raleighs and Schwinn Varsitites. They were called by some "suicide levers" because they did not really generate much braking power which is not a good thing. I have seen a few of the new ones and they seem to give a good braking performance. Now I don't ride with my hands in a place where I could use that kind of lever so they would be just extra weight.
Old 05-12-08, 08:44 AM
eibeinaka

Bikes: Surly LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What you are talking about are called inline levers, or sometimes cross levers.

Here`s a guide to installing them.

https://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=146

They work really well if set up properly. Not to be confused with the old-type of under the bar levers that were integral parts of older brake sets called "suicide levers".

I put them on my Surly LHT because I found it useful to be able to brake easily in a heads-up postion for commuting.
Old 05-12-08, 09:15 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Those levers came on my Specialized Sequoia and I really like them. They're very useful when riding around town, when I'm more likely to be riding upright on the tops.

By the way, not to hijack this thread or anything, but my observation is that I don't get nearly as much braking power using the brifter levers when I'm riding on the hoods. There's just not much leverage on the portion of the lever that I can grab from there. If I'm down in the drops then I can get full leverage on the brakes, but not from up on the hoods. Is this the way it's expected to be?
Old 05-12-08, 01:40 PM
mjd

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just had these added to my road bike, and they've been a godsend for some of the super-steep hills by my house. My hands just aren't strong enough to brake hard from the hoods, and riding from the drops in that position is too intense for me.
Old 05-12-08, 01:45 PM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I installed a set of in-line brake levers on the bar tops of my cross bike. Wow - what a great upgrade! It's nice for just cruzing around with my hands on the tops. However, where I find them the most useful is when descending on a slope steep enough for me to get behind the saddle. I can easily now stay on the tops of the bars, and still be able to brake very well.

... Brad
Old 05-12-08, 03:10 PM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The 'cross-type additional brake levers are also ideal for kids when they get their first road bike. We're gradually fitting them to all our 24" and 650c wheel road bikes and they give kids the confidence, when they try them out for the first time, as the position mimics the one they're used to on their mtbs of bmxs
Old 05-12-08, 10:15 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I had them installed on my Felt and I love them. The stopping power is fine (no suicide lever problems here). I like to ride on the tops to relax sometimes and having a brake lever near my hands wherever my hands are is comforting. The total cost including installation was $25.00. They will be on any bike I own.
Old 07-18-18, 05:44 AM
ggoytia1

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the link you posted.

Originally Posted by eibeinaka

Here`s a guide to installing them.

https://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=146

They work really well if set up properly. Not to be confused with the old-type of under the bar levers that were integral parts of older brake sets called "suicide levers".

I put them on my Surly LHT because I found it useful to be able to brake easily in a heads-up postion for commuting.
Old 07-18-18, 06:07 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
The safety levers on 1970s hi-ten bike boom bikes have about as much relation to modern cross top levers as the hite rite has to modern dropper posts.
Old 07-18-18, 09:27 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I remember the 10-speed I rode as a teenager had extra brake levers for the top part of the handlebars. I'm guessing the bike was a 70's model Schwinn or something, but I really don't remember. That bike is long gone. But I did like having the extra levers for riding upright. Squeezing the levers pulled the regular brake levers down so I think they were pretty effective.
Old 07-18-18, 11:01 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
By the way, not to hijack this thread or anything, but my observation is that I don't get nearly as much braking power using the brifter levers when I'm riding on the hoods. There's just not much leverage on the portion of the lever that I can grab from there. If I'm down in the drops then I can get full leverage on the brakes, but not from up on the hoods. Is this the way it's expected to be?
Maybe not “expected,” but that is just how human anatomy works.
Old 07-18-18, 11:07 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by ggoytia1
Thank you for the link you posted.
Warning! Zombie Thread has been resurrected! Ten years asleep.
Old 07-18-18, 11:14 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My 1976 Motobecane Mirage came with those turkey leg safety levers. They worked just fine. Any braking problems were due to that bike's original steel rims, not the brake levers.

I removed the "safety" levers a couple of times over the years: once when I was racing crits and time trials, mostly because it looked dorky but I couldn't afford a proper racing bike; another time to provide clearance for a handlebar bag.

But I commuted in traffic a lot and those turkey leg levers were handy for riding the tops where I could sit upright and see traffic better.

Nowadays if I used a drop bar bike for commuting I'd install those inline "interrupter" levers for better mechanical advantage.
Old 07-18-18, 11:47 AM
toast3d

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eibeinaka
Also called interrupters or interrupt levers.

Originally Posted by Pat
They used to be standard equipment on the old Raleighs and Schwinn Varsitites. They were called by some "suicide levers" because they did not really generate much braking power which is not a good thing.
That is incorrect. The old "suicide" brake levers were a completely different design than the current inline brake levers.

Originally Posted by prisoner6
I have noticed on many touring and other road bikes that they will sometimes come with an additional set of brake levers on the flats of the bars, not just the brakes on the drops.

Are these a good or bad idea? Do they compromise the brakes at all? I do a lot of just cruising on my bike with my girlfriend, and find myself using the flats to just be more relaxed. I was wondering how easily these brake levers could be added to my bike.

Thanks.
They are a good idea if you do a fair amount of riding in traffic. They do have a very small effect on braking performance, but it is negligible. I have them on two of my bikes. I wouldn't ride on drop bars in the city without them. They are just safer to have than not.
Old 07-18-18, 04:47 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
In some ways it's not such a bad thing, I've been looking at these as an option but the more recent comments dispel a myth that's obviously outdated since the 1st post .... I'll follow this zombie post and buy what's current, maybe some people that might of subscribed years ago may see it from a different perspective and people doing more recent searches might find this and see that more recent technology has bought "ZOMBIE" technology back to life but maybe with the brains slightly more intact

PS: AND there are so many forum police that complain bitterly when you post something that someone else asked at least a century ago and because thy're stuck in a time warp have absolutely no idea that technologies moved on so hopefully an update might help them chill rather than saying .... what you didn't search the thread ... when a lot of the replies are pre the round wheel :-)

Last edited by Witterings; 07-18-18 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-18-18, 07:54 PM
ggoytia1

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh no. Run and hide.
BRAINS!!!!

Previous jobs had me work from 6am to 8pm daily except Sunday.
so unfortunately i need to catch up. But im older so dont really worry. Its relevant to me now.

Originally Posted by JanMM

Last edited by ggoytia1; 07-18-18 at 08:00 PM.