Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Adventure Cycling free membership offer

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-18, 09:34 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts

I'm a 30+ year member of and volunteer for Adventure Cycling Association, a national non-profit bicycle travel organization, and they have asked me to help spread the word about their mission which is "To inspire, empower, and connect people to travel by bicycle."Adventure Cycling researches and publishes cycling maps (including the TransAmerica Trail, Pacific Coast Route, Route 66, Lewis & Clark, Underground Railroad, Great Divide Mountain Bike Route and many more), offers a variety of online bicycle touring resources, publishes a bicycle travel magazine called Adventure Cyclist, and runs guided tours. They also have been central in the development of the US Bicycle Route System. They have offered free trial memberships for me to disperse. Benefits of membership include a subscription to Adventure Cyclist magazine, member discounts on Adventure Cycling maps, and more. This offer is for first-time members with a US mailing address.If you are interested in learning more about Adventure Cycling's programs and their mission please visit: www.adventurecycling.orgTo take advantage of this offer you can sign-up online at:
https://www.adventurecycling.org/mem...ip/?r=Y5-FB18a
Old 07-14-18, 10:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Work PT at the end of the Trans Am /Lewis and Clark routes , Shop was a member* , but may have let it go.

A friend wrote a piece for them, so another way to get a membership is write something they put in print.

* so have a collection of back issues if any one wants to pay the postage costs..
Old 07-14-18, 07:45 PM
dylandewandel

Bikes: 2014 Diamondback Trace Comp (Modified)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Signed up! It's been too long since I've read a quality cycling magazine; I'll report back after a thorough reading.
Old 07-15-18, 12:16 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by dylandewandel
Signed up! It's been too long since I've read a quality cycling magazine; I'll report back after a thorough reading.
Agreed! I will see what they have to offer.
Old 08-07-18, 05:30 PM
dylandewandel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I got my first issue! I will admit I was a bit disappointed that 90% of the magazine was advertisements; I wasn't expecting a product catalog, I was hoping more for blog type format, reading material on adventures and destinations, build suggestions, culture.. not product selections! I did see a new top tube bag I may order, but nonetheless I hope the next issue doesn't repeat this trend..

Old 08-07-18, 11:21 PM
ggoytia1

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Received my envelope today, i browsed thru it real quick and asdumed it was all a sales catalogue. Will pull it from my shred bin look thru it again.

Was expecting articlesand format similar to thier 2011 magazines that are in pdf form. Did not like the fact they will rent or sell your info unless you go online or have it requested not to do so.
Old 08-09-18, 05:49 PM
dylandewandel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ggoytia1
Did not like the fact they will rent or sell your info unless you go online or have it requested not to do so.
Wow, had I known that I wouldn't have even signed up.. yikes..
Old 08-10-18, 12:29 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by dylandewandel
Well, I got my first issue! I will admit I was a bit disappointed that 90% of the magazine was advertisements; I wasn't expecting a product catalog, I was hoping more for blog type format, reading material on adventures and destinations, build suggestions, culture.. not product selections! I did see a new top tube bag I may order, but nonetheless I hope the next issue doesn't repeat this trend..
Slow your roll. ACA puts out two different things. "Cyclosource" is the product catalog that comes out a couple of times/year. The other is the publication "Adventure Cyclists," which is the one that contains trip reports, product reviews, letters to the editor, etc., and that is mentioned in the OP. It comes out maybe 7 of 8 times/year. I have the August/September 2018 in front of me. If features, among other things, a review of REI's Co-OP ADV 1.1, an interview with endurance cyclist Lael Wilcox, and several what I will call "post mortem" trip stories. I have been a member since 1999, when I joined in order to participate in one of their self-contained, cross country trips. Fell in love with loaded touring as a result and have provided ACA with some routing advice off and on over the years. "Adventure Cyclist" is usually a good read.
Old 08-10-18, 12:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by ggoytia1
Received my envelope today, i browsed thru it real quick and asdumed it was all a sales catalogue. Will pull it from my shred bin look thru it again.

Was expecting articlesand format similar to thier 2011 magazines that are in pdf form. Did not like the fact they will rent or sell your info unless you go online or have it requested not to do so.
See my post immediately above. The timing of your free membership was probably such that the first thing you received was the catalogue. As noted by the OP, you should also start receiving "Adventure Cyclist."
Old 08-10-18, 12:59 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
How do you opt out of having your info sold? I am most interested in the route maps that are available through ADV cycling. How do you get the maps and how good are they?
Old 08-12-18, 10:13 PM
ggoytia1

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To opt out contact them directly, or go to your online account.
Noticed my membership will expire beginning of the new year.

Would love new articles in a regular magazine format but its a free membership. Let see if they change my mind when it comes to renew.