Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where should bikes be stored?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Where should bikes be stored?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-18, 04:27 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I think she wanted me to be convicted by a jury of my peers.

She also directed me to stipulate the projected cost of the house, which would indicate that it's going to be kind of a "nice" house, as if "nice" houses don't have a room (in the living space) with bicycles in it. Or maybe she meant that "nice" people don't keep bicycles in the living areas of their homes. And she added that she wasn't sure which I enjoy more, bike riding or that other thing I like to do with her. Like it has to be one thing or the other. Wait a minute... I think I might have just had an epiphany. I'm detecting a little subtext here.
Well, I guess you need to decide which type of riding you most enjoy. 😉
Old 08-29-18, 04:36 PM
stevoo
Stevoo

Bikes: Road and mountain tandems, single bikes too.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In the house, on the bike rack, in the spare room that is also the office.

The garage is "the shop" where there are sparks, chips, machine tools, grinding dust, saw dust, paint overspray sometimes, bead blast grit, etc. Bike maintenance, bike building etc goes on there. Not a good place to store bikes. Workspace is at a premium there. Bike storage is in the house where it is clean, dry and we have extra space. The rack holds 6 bikes nicely there.
Old 08-29-18, 04:38 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Around here $500k gets you a 3BR with carport. I would not store bikes in a carport (though some people here do). I have a 2 car garage, and I just roll bikes in/out. I have my tools and work bench here. Don't see any reason to put bikes in the house. I don't even have any steps to enter but just too much hassle, rolling across the carpet or floor probably not the best idea.

scott s.
Old 08-29-18, 04:55 PM
ggoytia1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a new one or practice the yes dear. 😛
Old 08-29-18, 05:26 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts

She also directed me to stipulate the projected cost of the house, which would indicate that it's going to be kind of a "nice" house, as if "nice" houses don't have a room (in the living space) with bicycles in it. Or maybe she meant that "nice" people don't keep bicycles in the living areas of their homes. And she added that she wasn't sure which I enjoy more, bike riding or that other thing I like to do with her. Like it has to be one thing or the other. Wait a minute... I think I might have just had an epiphany. I'm detecting a little subtext here.
Have you been married before?
Old 08-29-18, 06:07 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Have you been married before?
Since I got out of the military in 1977, I have never been without the company of a beautiful woman for more than a few months. There was a marriage, a very long term relationship and then a series of shorter relationships. I understand that keeping the woman in my life happy is fundamental to my own happiness. This question was meant to show my GF that I'm not alone in wanting to keep our bikes in the house. She is surprised that any other people consider in-house storage acceptable.
Old 08-29-18, 07:05 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Are you kidding?
A person says they will withhold sex if you don't bend to their will and your wondering what to do. And this is just the beginning. What other issues will she do that with? To me, that is a huge red flag to be whipping out over something so trivial.

If you are putting 1/2 the money into a house that, presumably, is 1/2 yours, do what you want and tell her to deal with it. That's who she's with. You have bikes hanging in the dining room so its no surprise to her. She could try being glad you have a passion instead of just being a couch potato.

I think men make a mistake when they let their spouses mold them into what the spouse expects them to be. It leads to passive aggressive resentment down the road and odd behaviors when they try to exert their independence in a more unhealthy way.

And, for what it's worth. I keep my commuter bike right in the front entry way because it's convenient and I use it every day. In our kitchen she's kept a wax pear on the island and for over ten years no one has ever eaten it. What you say is you'll look for a house with two spare rooms. She can do what she wants with hers and you will do what you want with yours. If she balks at that you know it's a straight up power struggle issue.

I also have a fish room for my aquarium hobby and at one time had 10 aquariums going (hence the room), a workshop and a large library as I collect books. I decided 28 years ago to build a life together with my wife and to dedicate all of my assets and earning power to it and those things are a part of my life. There's no way I'll be delegated to the garage/mancave. The pay off for my wife is that I am quite happy in the life we've built together and not off somewhere or with someone else. She has often remarked that she appreciates my ability to stand up for what I believe strongly about as she could not respect a weak man who let her push him around. Something to think about.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 08-29-18 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-29-18, 07:28 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Hypothetical storage

I'm asking for opinions here. I've been dating a lovely lady bicyclist for several months now. The relationship has been progressing nicely, and we've begun negotiations on mutually acceptable conditions for cohabitation. We have the expectation that we will, sometime in the near future, buy and move into our "retirement house". Since we're going to combine our equity from our respective previous houses, we're looking for a nicer home on the waterfront, perhaps $450,000 to $500,000, of a size to accommodate visiting family, etc.

We've hit a bit of a pothole in the negotiations, having to do with the future location of bicycle storage within the house. Specifically, I want to have one room in the house dedicated to working out, with weight bench, etc. In that room, I want to hang all our bikes from the ceiling or mounted on the walls.

She says that this is impossible. According to her, bikes belong in the garage or in a storage building. To me, this is like making my children (if I had any) sleep outside in a tent.

It is worth noting, although perhaps not relevant, that in my current home I have all my bikes hanging in what was formerly the dining room. I got rid of the table and chairs, installed ceiling hooks and my seven bikes line two of the walls. It's a beautiful thing.

So my question is for those of you who are 30 years old or older, who live in a house (not apartment or condo).

Do bikes belong in the house or should they be relegated to the garage or storage building?
Hypothetically?
bikes would be stored to allow their easy exit and entry,
perhaps on ground level floor.
you want to make it easy for her to get her bike out to ride and bring it in after ride.
make sure she has a fairly expensive bike that she really likes.
problem will solve itself.
together with my bike riding partner, 35 years.
her favorite bike is a high end, weights next to nothing carbon wonder.
depending upon weather and riding plans, she parks it under a second story sun room
or hangs it in the walk out basement among our other toys/tools.
remember, approach this from an operational perspective.
Old 08-29-18, 07:30 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Are you kidding?
A person says they will withhold sex if you don't bend to their will and your wondering what to do. And this is just the beginning. What other issues will she do that with? To me, that is a huge red flag to be whipping out over something so trivial.

If you are putting 1/2 the money into a house that, presumably, is 1/2 yours, do what you want and tell her to deal with it. That's who she's with. You have bikes hanging in the dining room so its no surprise to her. She could try being glad you have a passion instead of just being a couch potato.

I think men make a mistake when they let their spouses mold them into what the spouse expects them to be. It leads to passive aggressive resentment down the road and odd behaviors when they try to exert their independence in a more unhealthy way.

And, for what it's worth. I keep my commuter bike right in the front entry way because it's convenient and I use it every day. In our kitchen she's kept a wax pear on the island and for over ten years no one has ever eaten it. What you say is you'll look for a house with two spare rooms. She can do what she wants with hers and you will do what you want with yours. If she balks at that you know it's a straight up power struggle issue.

I also have a fish room for my aquarium hobby and at one time had 10 aquariums going (hence the room), a workshop and a large library as I collect books. I decided 28 years ago to build a life together with my wife and to dedicate all of my assets and earning power to it and those things are a part of my life. There's no way I'll be delegated to the garage/mancave. The pay off for my wife is that I am quite happy in the life we've built together and not off somewhere or with someone else. She has often remarked that she appreciates my ability to stand up for what I believe strongly about as she could not respect a weak man who let her push him around. Something to think about.
​​​​​​​this guy!!
Old 08-29-18, 07:39 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
We keep our bikes in the house.
Old 08-29-18, 07:53 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
In the riding season my wife lets me put my bike in the entry by the front door. My bike cleaning is on the ocd side so that helps. She never complains because she likes I excersize so much with it. I do put it in the basement when people are over and such. We purchased this house 5 years ago and I said if I could have anything I wanted one room, in the basement just for a bike cave. The house she picked had tones of dead space in the basement so I got a man cave/bike place. I am very lucky and pleased.

In short, in the House all year round. When people stop over and aren’t used to seeing a bike near the door they ask my me why I keep it there, I say I would expect my wife to keep her prized piano in garage! They both costed about the same. I do have an awesome wife though!
Old 08-29-18, 07:55 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote

Well, I guess you need to decide which type of riding you most enjoy. 😉

lmao! For the win!
Old 08-29-18, 08:27 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Are you kidding?
A person says they will withhold sex if you don't bend to their will and your wondering what to do. And this is just the beginning.
There's no way I'll be delegated to the garage/mancave. The pay off for my wife is that I am quite happy in the life we've built together and not off somewhere or with someone else. She has often remarked that she appreciates my ability to stand up for what I believe strongly about as she could not respect a weak man who let her push him around. Something to think about.
Sorry if I misled you. There was no threat to withhold anything. She was simply remarking that I seem to have only two serious interests in life, bicycling being the other one, and she couldn't decide which was more important to me. The question of where the bikes would be stored came up when we discussed the requirements we each considered necessary in a new house. "A bike room? Whaaat?"

Actually, she has sought a bicyclist life partner for decades, as I have, and found, as I did, that you can't really cultivate this interest in a person. The desire to ride a bike as a primary activity is either there or it isn't.

As for the "power struggle" of which you speak, that drills down to the nature of the relationship. I seek an equal partnership in which minor disagreements such as this can be solved by negotiation and time. She and I are quite a ways from cohabitation. The purpose of raising this question on bike forums is to show that I'm not alone in wanting to keep my bikes in one room inside the house. Sure, I can assert myself right out of this relationship. However, women my age who consider a 35 mile ride in almost 90 high humidity degrees to be "a short ride" are kinda rare in these parts. I don't enjoy riding with a group of guys, and I find riding by myself to be less than satisfactory, also. A smart and beautiful woman who loves bicycling, wants to tour, is a great cook besides, well, I'm pretty sure I struck gold here.
Old 08-29-18, 08:50 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Well.. ok. If you reread post 25 it did sound like it was implied "one or the other".

You say you've struck gold and don't want to assert your way out of a relationship. True. But doesn't that go both ways? Don't you consider yourself a good catch as well and isnt she risking losing you by her assertion?

It's only a hobby room in a house for something you enjoy, not a grow op. People have all sorts of hobby rooms, from model railways to barbie doll collections. An acquaintance once showed me his sound proof drum room that had walls built on rubber gaskets. It was cool! But I suspect many would believe drum sets also belong in the garage.

Make your bike room so awesome that people compliment ot when they see it and then she will want to keep her bike there too. A couple of framed jerseys perhaps, some focused lighting? A neat professionsl looking work station...

Last edited by Happy Feet; 08-29-18 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-29-18, 08:53 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I ride my bikes. And they best ride right out of the garage. I also maintain my bikes, which may be too messy in the house.

A dedicated shop room (with AC and heating) would be nice, but only if it has direct access to the garage or outside. People in apartments are forced to store their bikes in the apartment or the balcony, but this is not what they want to do.
Old 08-29-18, 11:15 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
All but one of my bikes are in the garage. The one that is in the house is not being ridden at the moment, but it will eventually find it's way back to the garage when I find a good spot for it.

There is no off season here and I prefer to keep them in the garage so I don't have to always clean them after rides.
Old 08-30-18, 02:23 AM
Ritalalala

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the house is large enough to have a lot of rooms, it does not affect normal life.
It’s okay to have a room full of hobbies.
I look forward to having such a room in the future.
It’s better to have a calm talk on the subject and arrange the morning things reasonably.
There is always one to make concessions.
Old 08-30-18, 03:48 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
The question is whether any of you folks find that bicycles do or do not belong in the house. I guess I should have generated a poll. ... She insisted that I ask the members here if you agree with me or her.
Both. Or neither. Take your pick.

I can't see that insisting that bicycles"belong" any place special makes any sense. Go with what works.

Bikes don't cause noise. They don't smell much. They are not generally known to release allergens.
This would suggest to me that after a fair-weather ride, it'd be functionally OK - it'd "work" - to store a bike pretty much ANYWHERE where there is space.

After a wet or muddy ride, wheeling a bike in would leave a trail.
Then there'd be a puddle where it's parked.
I wouldn't like that in my general living area.
So either I'd need a place to clean and dry my bike before taking it to storage.
Or I could simplify the process, store it someplace where a trail and a puddle isn't a big deal - like in a garage.

Bikes can be a bit unwieldy to lift and hang. And while wheeling them in, it's easy to catch a pedal against a door jamb, table leg etc. Or be tempted to lean them against a wall temporarily. Some scuffing might happen.
If that is unacceptable damage, you'd probably be better off finding another storage area.
I probably wouldn't want a frequently ridden bike in the living room or bedroom etc due to the risk of scuff marks - at least for the first year after the new wallpaper has gone up....
But through a "kitchen entrance", laundry room, home gym, man cave etc would be OK to me.
A bike that doesn't get ridden much could go anywhere.

Bikes don't care what you call their place of storage.
The main concern from the bicycle's perspective is probably condensation. Room temperature or cold doesn't matter much. Humidity and temperature changes fast enough to cause condensation matters a little bit.
Unheated and dehumidified are excellent storage conditions. Or simply naturally dry enough to avoid condensation.
Old 08-30-18, 04:07 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Its determined by convenience, security, and space. And to a lessor extent, decor. That said, bike can absolutely go in the house particularly if they're going to be ridden daily. When I lived in a house I kept mine in the foyer rather than on the patio. I'd only consider putting them in the garage for long-term storage.
Are you kidding?

This. But everybody can see the beginnings of the disaster except the person(s) involved.
Old 08-30-18, 05:48 AM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
My wife and I kept our two road bikes in the living room for years. Then in a shop building for a couple decades where they got less use. But lately we keep them in the garage. About 1/3 of our two car garage is utilized for bikes and I like having all my bike related stuff in one place.
Old 08-30-18, 06:23 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Man Cave is what he's accustomed to.
Old 08-30-18, 06:27 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
When I was single, I kept my bike in my bedroom. There's nothing wrong with keeping bikes in a garage, basement or a nice, dry storage building. I'm married now, so I keep our bikes in a custom-made 10' x 20' storage building next to my house.
Old 08-30-18, 06:53 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

We just sold our house $700,000, it had bikes in living spaces... before 'staging' the house. Our realtor brought in a 'stager' to help, it was kinda helpful, but also comical. She got to the trainer room, since we're empty-nesters, we converted a bedroom in to a trainer room... her comment "that's just odd ... " We still use that as a punch line!!

I started a thread about staging our house: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...o-cycling.html

So nice 'nice' houses can have bikes in living spaces, when the 'nice' people enjoy bikes.
Old 08-30-18, 07:03 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Wait, people don't keep their bikes in their bed and sleep with them at night?!?!?!?

Having said that ....
  • Unless my wife suggested it (which she wouldn't as she's not a cyclist), I wouldn't see myself leaving my bike(s) in any of the main living areas of the house. I'm pretty sure, even if she was a cyclist, keeping them in the house would probably not happen, especially if it led to tracking mud or grease in the house.
  • Having said that, if our setup was such that I had a separate 'man-cave' room for working out and wanted to store my bikes there, I don't think we'd have any issue if there was a direct entry to the man-cave that didn't cause the main living areas to get messy.
  • fwiw, My bikes that are in regular use are in the garage. My 'off-season' bike(s) go in the basement.
  • As an aside, been married 35 years so we've kind of worked out a lot of the details of day-to-day living and compromising.
Oh, one more thing ... if you found someone who wants to stay with you when you have a sign-in name of 'DeadGrandpa', she sounds like a keeper!!

Last edited by dennis336; 08-30-18 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-30-18, 07:08 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
For me, the question isn't about where bikes belong in some abstract sense. It's about finding the best solution given the amounts and types of space that are available to me. My wife is supportive, and we avoid abstract, "how things should be" type of thinking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.