Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

An almost unbelievable story and a question.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

An almost unbelievable story and a question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-18, 08:48 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
He said RATE right in his post. If you want to complain, maybe you should complain about the unknown denominator.
Old 10-26-18, 08:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
HTFU and ride.
Old 10-26-18, 10:05 AM
NiGoCo

Bikes: Couple junkers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
HTFU and ride.
That's the plan.
Old 10-26-18, 10:35 AM
Buddha2499

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
He said RATE right in his post. If you want to complain, maybe you should complain about the unknown denominator.
Saying something is a rate does not make it a rate. I’m happy to complain about an unknown denominator. I’m also happy to complain about people who misuse denominators trying to make a point.

Last edited by Buddha2499; 10-26-18 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-26-18, 10:46 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
get term life insurance with her as the beneficiary. $100K for her & another $100K for every kid & if you have a mortgage, at least $100K to help with that
I've seen too many crime shows, for Pete's sake, No!
Old 10-26-18, 10:56 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
There is an answer that is right on your computer: Craigslist. Stick to older bikes under 750cc, 400-550 would be ideal. You don't need a big fat motorcycle that costs as much as a used car there, that is what your wife is trying to tell you.

Another thing she may be telling you is that you need a sustainable car that will serve her as well (should hers break down).

But the biggest worry she has is that you won't be safe. I can't help you much on that other than to tell you nothing is foolproof and I've lost a friend or two to car-motorcycle wrecks. This is completely a matter of trust for her.
Old 10-26-18, 11:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Buddha2499

Saying something is a rate does not make it a rate. I’m happy to complain about an unknown denominator. I’m also happy to complain about people who misuse denominators trying to make a point.

The problem is primarily that the denominator--miles traveled--is almost certainly not knowable, especially for bikes. Bike miles also have definitional problems that cars and motorcycles don't. For example, does the little kid riding on a bike path count as miles traveled?

Any comparative rates are really going to be guesses.

For that matter, is the correct denominator miles or hours? The rate of bike deaths might be overstated comparatively just because it takes a lot longer to ride a bicycle 60 miles than it does a vehicle with an engine.
Old 10-26-18, 11:49 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
I've seen too many crime shows, for Pete's sake, No!
hahaha, I hear ya! after our 4 month trial separation & then reconciliation we kept our finances separate. been trying to talk her into paying my life insurance premiums. never seems to go over tho ...
Old 10-26-18, 03:19 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by jj1091
Here's a comparative stat from the Virginia DMV for 2013:

The motorcycle fatality rate is over 17 times greater, and bicycle fatality rates are nearly 10 times greater than that for automobiles.
In 2013, bicycle and motorcycle injuries and deaths in Virginia were as follows:
Bike accidents:
  • 800 reported accidents
  • 739 serious injuries (92 percent of bike accidents result in serious injuries)
  • 10 deaths (1.3 percent of bike accidents result in fatal injuries)
Motorcycle accidents:
  • 2,000 reported accidents
  • 1,800 serious injuries (90 percent of motorcycle accidents result in serious injuries)
  • 60 deaths (3 percent result in fatalities)
In short, you're about twice as likely to be in a motorcycle accident than in a bicycle accident, and you're more than twice as likely to die in a motorcycle accident than on a bicycle. Bicycles are safer.
You need to normalize those statistics by the number of cyclists and motorcyclists out there, or possibly by miles ridden.
It is a pet peeve of mine when people post these type of statistics because they are wrong.

When you want to compare risks, you need to use rates. X number of accidents per person-time-riding. There are more motorcycles on the roads riding more miles than bikes. If the two were equally safe/dangerous, you would still expect more accidents on motorcycles simply because more people are riding motorcycles.

Im not saying your conclusions are wrong, just that your evidence doesn’t support it at all.
Exactly this. If you compare fatality rates per accident, yes, cycling seems safer. But question is, how many non-accident trips were there?
Old 10-26-18, 03:45 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
I got divorced. Now I ride my bike anywhere I want. I also live with a wonderful, different woman. The x hated my bike riding.
Old 10-26-18, 03:52 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
Exactly this. If you compare fatality rates per accident, yes, cycling seems safer. But question is, how many non-accident trips were there?
My post, above, uses fatalities per 100 million miles of travel. This is apparently the way stuff is reported and compared. The rates I gave are roughly consistent with those reported as rates by jj1091.

I guess that the point is a bicycle is, on average, much safer to ride over a given trip (for example, a commute). Makes no sense for the OP's wife to get upset about the bike - it's likely safer than the motorcycle he's been riding.

That said, some trips might involve stretches are a more dangerous for bikes, or that have a lot of accidents that occur randomly (so you could be whacked by an accident caused by someone else). But in general, I think that the OP might look up some stats to point out to his wife. Now, that conversation may or may not be effective...
Old 10-26-18, 03:58 PM
ggoytia1

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimagnolo;
That must have been one hell of wreck! I had a buddy who owned a shop he would order for me for a little bribe to avoid the salvage ones.
when Jersey was underwater we picked some nice flooded ones that he got up and running. Made a little beer money on them
Old 10-26-18, 04:01 PM
ggoytia1

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride what you want there is danger in everything. Just live life while you can, we will get older soon and IF we make it we will have good stories. If you live in a bubble your wish list will soon fad.

That being said be careful out there. 😇
Old 10-26-18, 04:26 PM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

It is a pet peeve of mine when people post these type of statistics because they are wrong.

When you want to compare risks, you need to use rates. X number of accidents per person-time-riding. There are more motorcycles on the roads riding more miles than bikes. If the two were equally safe/dangerous, you would still expect more accidents on motorcycles simply because more people are riding motorcycles.

Im not saying your conclusions are wrong, just that your evidence doesn’t support it at all.
​​​​​​It wasn't my evidence, just something I pulled up on statistics. But, the evidence in that particular data dump shows that in all accidents, bicyclists were about a third as likely to die. The rates they used were "all accidents". The statistics shown by the NTHSA, showing bicycle death rates being greater than that of motorcyclists, was used by ABATE, and it was noted that "Bicycling fatalities per vehicle mile, on the other hand, though difficult to estimate because of uncertainty in the total-miles-traveled data, appear to be at most 11 times greater than the rate for automobiles (and that number may be quite inflated). The motorcycle rate, on the other hand, is over 17 times greater than that for automobiles."

So, I question ANY data compiled on the safety of bicyclists vs motorcyclists, first because almost no cyclists use odometers, and any agency using cycling-miles-traveled would have no basis for compiling the data. Primarily, though, all studies shown are based on the number of reported accidents. Motorcycles are highly regulated by traffic laws, licensing requirements, vehicle registrations, and insurance requirements, so the reporting of any motor vehicle accident on a motorcycle is required by law. Not so on a bicycle. So, how many bicycle accidents of a minor nature are even reported at all? Probably almost zero. Minor motorcycle accidents? Probably most.

Maybe you can provide data that shows what I'm missing, since you seem convinced that the data is wrong. I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right, and I have no real stake in the issue, but until published data finds a way to include the factors for bicyclists in a manner that is consistent with that compiled for motorcyclists, then I find no reason to say otherwise than what published studies show. The OP was seeking data to convince his wife of the safety of bicycling vs motorcycling, so it's a good place for data to be provided. Share your data.
Old 10-26-18, 05:49 PM
NiGoCo

Bikes: Couple junkers

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Better physical health, better mental health. Here are my bike commute videos. Hope they help.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5TfAHK4EOymjDg
I finally had time to watch several of your videos. It appears I'm in a similar setting. Except without all those bike lanes, pictures of bikes painted on the road, MUPs and on my route our roads have no shoulders. I believe she'd be more at ease if we had something like that.
Old 10-26-18, 07:43 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by NiGoCo
I finally had time to watch several of your videos. It appears I'm in a similar setting. Except without all those bike lanes, pictures of bikes painted on the road, MUPs and on my route our roads have no shoulders. I believe she'd be more at ease if we had something like that.
when I started 26 years ago there were very few bike lanes left over from the 1970s, and they were very faded. What you see had been added over the last three years, and that big wide one downtown just last month.
Old 10-26-18, 08:29 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
FWIW, accident statistics generally show a higher risk of serious injury on motorcycles than bicycles, on estimated miles. Even if you use the highest estimate of miles by bike in the USA. Minor injuries, I think you'll have more on the bicycle. The higher speeds of the motorcycle and more intimate mixing in traffic contribute to the risk.

I have to think that your wife's reaction is completely natural and rational, because I felt the same way when I started bike-only transportation. I was just too pig-headed to let that stop me, and after I gained experience my perception of danger diminished. My wife still worries though, so we may not be able to ever completely escape that.
Old 10-26-18, 10:53 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I stopped riding a motorcycle when it was clear I was going to have a family. Life insurance wouldn't make me feel better about it. I feel fine about riding a bike. When you crash a bike you aren't headed into opposing traffic or a square curb at 60mph.

In re: those statistics, the statistics for motorcycle fatalities show a lot of irresponsible people, with no license, no helmet, high BAC, twice as many high BAC at night, single vehicle crashes, liter+ crotch rockets, etc.
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/m...ol-involvement
IIHS really hates motorcycles, as you can imagine. They really like motorcycles to have ABS and riders to have helmets.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-26-18 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-27-18, 12:19 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts or tips on how to get her on board with this?
Get your wife on a bike, (or an e-bike?) the benefits of regular riding usually outweigh the risks for most people.

My wife thought I was crazy until she had a decent bike that she enjoyed riding.

I love the heavy duty bike you built up, it seems quite unlikely to be stolen, and if it did, it wouldn't be a huge financial loss.

I sense a second or 3rd bike will be in your future.
Old 10-27-18, 01:44 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Here are a few videos of my wife riding (on a crappy Ofo rental bike) through the Yangshuo countryside in China, last year around Christmas.

She had to walk up some of the hills, but other than that, it was an easy afternoon ride for her at around 30KM or so.

Her first ride was just 1KM to the subway station, and her longest was close to 160KM. (80 km each way over two days)
Old 10-27-18, 02:34 AM
Tamiya

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Always thought there's something in Texan constitution that every resident needs to burn oil.

JR Ewing for President!!
Old 10-27-18, 06:33 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
Here are a few videos of my wife riding (on a crappy Ofo rental bike) through the Yangshuo countryside in China, last year around Christmas.

She had to walk up some of the hills, but other than that, it was an easy afternoon ride for her at around 30KM or so.

Her first ride was just 1KM to the subway station, and her longest was close to 160KM. (80 km each way over two days)
Very cool!
Old 10-27-18, 06:59 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
I'd do some serious complaining to Yamaha about the engine self destructing at 10k miles. Warranty be damned. That's just insane unless you raced the bike. Unfortunately, that's what they will think regardless of what you tell them. Maybe make arrangements to meet one their regional field representatives so you can demonstrate the bike is not owned by some squid that beat the crap out of it? Not sure but I'd explore every possible avenue to get their help with the repair.

Regarding the bike commute, the overall safety will heavily depend on the conditions/route traveled. How far, condition of the roads, weather, etc.

I live 6 miles from work and want to start commuting only there is this one stretch of road along the route that is narrow, with parked cars along the curb, and there simply is not a safe way to transverse this section of road. Leading up to this section there are bike lanes, and past it the roads empty out and get wider. Mentioning this as an example since we haven't heard about the OP's route and traffic conditions along the way. In general I'd say a bike can be reasonably safe if the route is right. Motorcycles are always risky.
Old 10-27-18, 08:14 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
The problem is primarily that the denominator--miles traveled--is almost certainly not knowable, especially for bikes. Bike miles also have definitional problems that cars and motorcycles don't. For example, does the little kid riding on a bike path count as miles traveled?

Any comparative rates are really going to be guesses.

For that matter, is the correct denominator miles or hours? The rate of bike deaths might be overstated comparatively just because it takes a lot longer to ride a bicycle 60 miles than it does a vehicle with an engine.
Exposure hours is the best way to compare, and most assuredly not data we have access to.
Old 10-27-18, 08:32 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
This is a very quick read, and it is spot on in my opinion. https://bicyclesafe.com/ If you read and heed the principles set forth in it, you can dramatically lower your chance of being involved in an accident. I am a safety specialist by profession, so my mind is always working in risk reduction/mitigation mode. I bicycle, boat and motorcycle. With each of those, I look at the leading causes of death and do what I can to avoid them. This is a simplification. By not drinking, you can strip away 20+% of the risk. Motorcyclists can strip away additional risk by maintaining control/not driving beyond their limits. Then awareness of left turners. Bicyclists can strip away additional risk by not riding at night or using very good lighting if they do. Don't ride against traffic. Don't ride in the door zone. Very easy things to do that will reduce your risk substantially.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.