Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Biking in the rain

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Biking in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-23, 06:20 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It would not be too much to ask.
Again, didnt realize it was against the rules.

Will the accusations of sock puppeting also be called out in the thread?
Looks like I can answer my own question.
Old 06-27-23, 06:23 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by grantelmwood
Do you bike in the rain?
What do you adjust or change when you elect to rain ride?
Clothing? Distances? Routes?
Yes,I bike in the rain.
I mostly bike commute.
I take one of my fendered bikes and have my rain cape ready.
I also cover my commute bag with a plastic trash bag.
I do not change my distances or routes.

Likes For BobbyG:
Old 06-27-23, 06:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
It would not be too much to ask.
Again, didnt realize it was against the rules.

Will the accusations of sock puppeting also be called out in the thread?
Were you "called out"? That seems a tad melodramatic.

So when a cop asks you to "watch out for pedestrians", do you say "are you going to caution that guy for scratching his nose"?

Don't think there's actually a rule against AI (I lobbied for one), but the warning that a mod gave was that if it became clear that posting the AI stuff violated a copyright claim, that someone who was in the habit of posting AI might find that ALL of their posts had been deleted because the mods weren't going to sift through to find any AI.
Old 06-27-23, 06:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Looks like I can answer my own question.
OK, Karen.
Old 06-27-23, 06:48 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
I try avoid unpaved/poorly paved rides in the rain. The soaked shoes feeling is not my thing, & the whole dirty water creating drivetrain issues is another negative.
Old 06-27-23, 07:24 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Were you "called out"? That seems a tad melodramatic.

So when a cop asks you to "watch out for pedestrians", do you say "are you going to caution that guy for scratching his nose"?

Don't think there's actually a rule against AI (I lobbied for one), but the warning that a mod gave was that if it became clear that posting the AI stuff violated a copyright claim, that someone who was in the habit of posting AI might find that ALL of their posts had been deleted because the mods weren't going to sift through to find any AI.
OK, Karen.

Settle down, I didnt actually think BillyD would call out those who claimed the OP is a sock. I just found it funny that in a thread where the OP was straight up called a sock, my flippant AI based reply was what a mod took issue with. I genuinely didnt know we arent allowed to AI respond, but I did know calling posters a sock is a no-no.
As for the Powers gif, its a funny gif. I chuckled when I posted it because it was a funny way to respond to myself.

Your cop and nose scratch example is...well I will have to spend a minute trying to figure out how that in any way relates to this, but I doubt I will spend more than a minute.

Go criticize those who are claiming the OP is a sock puppet. Oh...wait, you posted about that.
Old 06-27-23, 08:05 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Dealing with wet socks and shoes is easily the worst part of riding in the rain. As I’m typing this I’m realizing that the obvious solution is sandals. Unfortunately, I have sensitive skin and sandals have always rubbed me the wrong way. But yeah wet socks are miserable. It’s not so much riding, but once you get off at your destination that it’s a problem.
Old 06-27-23, 08:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Dealing with wet socks and shoes is easily the worst part of riding in the rain. As I’m typing this I’m realizing that the obvious solution is sandals. Unfortunately, I have sensitive skin and sandals have always rubbed me the wrong way. But yeah wet socks are miserable. It’s not so much riding, but once you get off at your destination that it’s a problem.
Definitely. A second pair of socks is way too bulky to carry around.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-27-23, 08:17 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
No, I don't bike in the rain. I wear glasses so rain would hamper my vision very quickly.
Old 06-27-23, 08:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Settle down, I didnt actually think BillyD would call out those who claimed the OP is a sock. I just found it funny that in a thread where the OP was straight up called a sock, my flippant AI based reply was what a mod took issue with. I genuinely didnt know we arent allowed to AI respond, but I did know calling posters a sock is a no-no.
As for the Powers gif, its a funny gif. I chuckled when I posted it because it was a funny way to respond to myself.

Your cop and nose scratch example is...well I will have to spend a minute trying to figure out how that in any way relates to this, but I doubt I will spend more than a minute.

Go criticize those who are claiming the OP is a sock puppet. Oh...wait, you posted about that.

I claimed nothing, just mused about what happens to wet sock puppets. People need to be aware of the dangers of waterlogged fingertips and choose water-resistant footwear for their puppets if they're putting on shows in the rain.

Quit being a Karen just because a mod asked you to stop doing something. You posted the same trivial complaint three times and the memes are just trite. Oh, wait, now it's 4 times.

Last edited by livedarklions; 06-27-23 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-27-23, 08:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
No, I don't bike in the rain. I wear glasses so rain would hamper my vision very quickly.

Drizzle doesn't pose much of a problem for me in this regard, but I have to give up when I'm caught in a downpour. Without my glasses, I'm functionally blind. I also don't much trust drivers to handle the reduced visibility well.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-27-23, 08:32 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Drizzle doesn't pose much of a problem for me in this regard, but I have to give up when I'm caught in a downpour. Without my glasses, I'm functionally blind. I also don't much trust drivers to handle the reduced visibility well.
And, frankly, I just don't want to get all wet when out riding.
Old 06-27-23, 08:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
And, frankly, I just don't want to get all wet when out riding.
I don't ride if there's drizzle in the forecast because of that. My recent riding in the rain experiences have all been surprises.

I had a 33 mile ride last year where I had to take shelter twice while the squall line played chicken with me.
Old 06-27-23, 08:40 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

I claimed nothing, just mused about what happens to wet sock puppets. People need to be aware of the dangers of waterlogged fingertips and choose water-resistant footwear for their puppets if they're putting on shows in the rain.

Quit being a Karen just because a mod asked you to stop doing something. You posted the same trivial complaint three times and the memes are just trite. Oh, wait, now it's 4 times.
This made me smile, thank you. I absolutely loved the chastising tone while you cheekily justify your sock puppet comment as benign and innocent.
Old 06-27-23, 09:07 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by grantelmwood
Do you bike in the rain?
What do you adjust or change when you elect to rain ride?
Clothing? Distances? Routes?
no but I like blizzards
dress for a blizzard
Old 06-27-23, 09:17 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
I don't do group rides, but we do have a couple organized/charity centuries a year that I do. The route is such that a little rain is pretty much a given, but one year it was raining pretty hard for about a half of a metric, and boy, the difference between riding behind someone with or without fenders is night and day. I've been temped to get some of those "assavers" and give them a try but never got around to it.

scott s.
Another thing is to not ride directly behind the person in front of you. Offset to one side or another so their tire spray isn't directly in your face.
Old 06-27-23, 09:21 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Definitely. A second pair of socks is way too bulky to carry around.
Where would I put them? They are too small to tie securely to the frame, and I don't have space in my saddlebag with my water pipe, weed, and lighters. I don't like carrying my life around with me in my pockets like so many roadies seem to do, its uncomfortable and interferes with my pedal stroke. Going without socks is the obvious solution, the path of least resistance. Crocks with the clippy in pedals, are unironically the superior footwear for foul weather riding. If your feet get cold, ride harder.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 06-27-23 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-27-23, 09:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

This made me smile, thank you. I absolutely loved the chastising tone while you cheekily justify your sock puppet comment as benign and innocent.
Trust me, that one took more than one cheek.
Old 06-27-23, 09:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
no but I like blizzards
dress for a blizzard

Dairy Queen has a dress code?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-27-23, 09:29 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Dairy Queen has a dress code?
Please put on pants and a shirt, sir. This is a family establishment.
Old 06-27-23, 09:40 AM
LarrySellerz

Mods are gonna **** people up who are slinging ****, dont do it! Just saying!
Old 06-27-23, 09:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Where would I put them? They are too small to tie securely to the frame, and I don't have space in my saddlebag with my water pipe, weed, and lighters. I don't like carrying my life around with me in my pockets like so many roadies seem to do, it’s uncomfortable and interferes with my pedal stroke. Going without socks is the obvious solution, the path of least resistance. Crocks with the clippy in pedals, are unironically the superior footwear for foul weather riding. If your feet get cold, ride harder.
Reading many of your posts is like watching an episode of Cops!. It makes me realize that, despite my recent problems, my life could be a lot more “complicated”.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-27-23, 09:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Mods are gonna **** people up who are slinging ****, dont do it! Just saying!

When it's wet, my tires sling asterisks.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-27-23, 10:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Going without socks is the obvious solution, the path of least resistance. Crocks with the clippy in pedals, are unironically the superior footwear for foul weather riding. If your feet get cold, ride harder.

Ride harder only works above some reasonable air temperature. You try that in the lower 40s or below, and the increased airflow from riding faster is going to make the chill worse, not better.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-27-23, 10:18 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
what about hail? kevlar flax vest, chain mail, articulated plate steel armor (with no socks and crocs), umbrella?

Likes For squirtdad:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.