Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Keeping in Shape for Hill Climbing in Winter?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Keeping in Shape for Hill Climbing in Winter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-24, 02:50 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,309 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Yeah, I love riding there in summer. I might get up there to do the Bob Evans ride this year.
It used to be the Bob Cook Memorial Mount Evans Hill Climb, but it's been renamed the Blue Sky Hill Climb due to renaming of the mountain.
Old 02-01-24, 02:58 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It used to be the Bob Cook Memorial Mount Evans Hill Climb, but it's been renamed the Blue Sky Hill Climb due to renaming of the mountain.
Thanks, I didn't know about the name change.

I found the sign-up page: Blue Sky Hill Climb, July 20.

Old 02-01-24, 03:54 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
I just go out on my local climb a few times when I can (well want to) ride outside again. It comes back quickly if you kept in shape generally in winter.
Old 02-01-24, 06:50 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
I just did the ROUVY Mt Ventoux climb.

I don’t know how beneficial it was for real climbs, but my legs sure were tired towards the end.

10.6 fake miles, 4600 fake feet. 110 real minutes.

Old 02-02-24, 12:25 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 348 Posts
Sometimes sunny but not-so-warm NorCal Sierra Nevada mountains here...27 rides, 47 hours riding time, 694 miles, and over 70k' of climbing this January. A bunch of virtual trainer rides did skew the mileage/elevation ratio back down to the golden ratio...my "climbiest" outdoor ride this past month was a 32 miler with 4800' gain...works out to a 150'/mile ratio, I'll never lose climbing form at this rate.
Old 02-02-24, 08:39 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6973 Post(s)
Liked 10,974 Times in 4,694 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Yeah, I love riding there in summer. I might get up there to do the Bob Evans Bob Cook Memorial Mt Evans Hill Climb (now called Blue Sky Hill Climb) ride this year.
It's been at least 15 years since I've done it, but that's a fantastic event. Highly recommended.

Tip: if a pro team car offers you a ride back down, take it. It seems like a great idea to ride back down to the start, but it's actually not much fun -- especially once it starts raining.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-02-24, 11:01 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Koyote
It's been at least 15 years since I've done it, but that's a fantastic event. Highly recommended.

Tip: if a pro team car offers you a ride back down, take it. It seems like a great idea to ride back down to the start, but it's actually not much fun -- especially once it starts raining.
I'd take a ride back down in a donkey cart if it was offered. The descent is bone jarring and often very cold.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-02-24, 03:00 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The Colorado front range has pretty mild winters. Boulder high temps have been above freezing for 28 of 31 days in January, and the average high has probably been 45-50. The last 5 days have been in the 60s.
In Loveland we were in the single digits all day for several days in a row and had a low of -16F with several others below zero. After 9 days of temps too low to ride, it warmed up and stayed warm for the rest of the month.

This weather record is much different than you describe. https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/lo...weather/332151

If the temp is barely above freezing and sunny, I'll go on a very short ride. For me, rides in the 30-40 mile range require 38-43 or higher.
Old 02-02-24, 03:33 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
In Loveland we were in the single digits all day for several days in a row and had a low of -16F with several others below zero. After 9 days of temps too low to ride, it warmed up and stayed warm for the rest of the month.

This weather record is much different than you describe.
Read my post. I gave January statistics for Boulder, not Loveland.

Regardless, the bottom line is the Colorado front range has pretty mild winters. Year-to-year and city-to-city differences of a couple of degrees doesn't change that*.

* the average low temperature in Loveland in January was 31°F, just barely below freezing. The average high temperature in January was 45°F.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 02-02-24 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-02-24, 04:21 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Average temperature means nothing. Boulder isn't that much different than Loveland. Record lows were being set across the state. In the winter, the best time to ride is around noon to 3 pm. I reviewed the actual temps on each of my rides and the fact that 12 days were way too cold to ride, so I either rode indoors or skipped. I only ride 14 times to get my 492 miles. I rode 10 out of 11 days in a row. At 70 years old with replaced knees, that's pushing it. A working person would only have had about 5 good days last month.

Another thing to consider is sunshine. I rode several days that were totally overcast, which feels like 5-10F colder than a sunny day of the same temp.

It wasn't toasty in Boulder either. Your description was wrong. I look for 5-7C as a good temperature.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/bo...weather/327347

Last edited by DaveSSS; 02-02-24 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-02-24, 04:50 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Average temperature means nothing. Boulder isn't that much different than Loveland. Record lows were being set across the state. In the winter, the best time to ride is around noon to 3 pm. I reviewed the actual temps on each of my rides and the fact that 12 days were way too cold to ride, so I either rode indoors or skipped. I only ride 14 times to get my 492 miles. I rode 10 out of 11 days in a row. At 70 years old with replaced knees, that's pushing it. A working person would only have had about 5 good days last month.

It wasn't toasty in Boulder either. I look for 5-7C as a good temperature.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/bo...weather/327347
I have no idea what your smattering of factoids is supposed to convey. I simply pointed out (to another poster) that winters in the Colorado front range are pretty mild. He stated he was thinking of the Loveland ski area, which would have much harsher weather than the city of Loveland. It actually has nothing to do with you at this point.