Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Changing to 1x chainring

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Changing to 1x chainring

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-24, 03:47 PM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
This is why I come here...."friction shifters". What!? Are you kidding me!? I didn't even know these things existed. Now I want one. I found a company called Gevenalle out of Portland that places a friction shifter on top of a Tektro brake lever. Check it out:
https://www.gevenalle.com/shifters/

For one it's a little pricey (about $129). Does anyone have any recommendations for a more reasonable priced shifter? Also, is a bar end shifter a better solution? It would seem a bit of a hassle to operate, as opposed to a shifter right on the brake lever. And finally, are these things a bit of a pain to install?
Old 01-31-24, 04:04 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Friction shifting a 9 speed cassette is difficult, and 11 speed would be very difficult. IMHO of course. I "grew up" on friction shifting but tried it on a 9 speed build a couple of years ago and it was very fussy getting a clean shift and the trimming needed to be very precise. I have seen comments by experienced friction shifters that said 9 speed wasn't all that difficult. But for someone who hasn't had a lot of time with friction shifters, I wouldn't recommend it at all for anything above 8 speed.
Old 01-31-24, 08:07 PM
ArgoMan

I don't think I'd be too worried about shifting with friction shifter with an 11 speed. I've done some research and it appears that if I go with a friction shifter I would have to get it from a company called Gevenalle, if I want to get a shifter that is mounted on the brake lever. That's appealing, except for the price. I'd be paying at least $189! I also think I'd have to order a pair, when I only need a single shifter. I can get a good condition used 105 or Ultegra shifter for almost half that price. I can get a pair of new Ultegra shifters for less! So, the price for those friction shifters make it much less attractive. I can get a bar end shifter for alot less, but I think that such a shifter would be a lot less feasible, with taking a hand off the handlebar to fuddle around with the mechanism. So, unless I can be persuaded, I think just have to get an STI shifter that can handle an 11 cassette.
Old 02-01-24, 07:08 AM
Marvelousmarkie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1

The Shimano 11 speed CS-700 and CS-800 will fit the 9/10 speed hub. They come in only 11-34 and 11-36.
Yes. I should have just said he’ll need an eleven speed cassette with the narrower Shimano mountain body.

OP: https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/...compatibility/

Last edited by Marvelousmarkie; 02-01-24 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-01-24, 07:13 AM
Marvelousmarkie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
This is why I come here...."friction shifters". What!? Are you kidding me!? I didn't even know these things existed. Now I want one. I found a company called Gevenalle out of Portland that places a friction shifter on top of a Tektro brake lever. Check it out:
https://www.gevenalle.com/shifters/

For one it's a little pricey (about $129). Does anyone have any recommendations for a more reasonable priced shifter? Also, is a bar end shifter a better solution? It would seem a bit of a hassle to operate, as opposed to a shifter right on the brake lever. And finally, are these things a bit of a pain to install?
i don’t know the prices, but look at Microshift. They make a whole bunch of Shimano compatible brifters and shifters (thumb and bar end).

https://www.microshift.com
Likes For Marvelousmarkie:
Old 02-01-24, 08:37 AM
ArgoMan

Thanks guys. Quick question: I have a line on a great condition used Ultergra shifter for a very good price. It's for an 11-speed. Will it work for a 9-speed setup? I'm considering all my options and with this morning's ride on my "concept" bike, I found that my 9-speed setup is working really well for my needs. But the shifter is really tight. So, I'm still considering a friction shifter or maybe an upgraded STI.
Old 02-01-24, 09:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
What does "shifter is really tight" mean? Probably just too tight a bend in the cable somewhere. Even just the small bend of my shifter cable coming out from beneath the bar wrap to avoid the out front mount for my GPS made it hard to shift up till I rewrapped the bar to give it better routing.
Old 02-01-24, 11:06 AM
ArgoMan

Iride. That may be the issue. I actually had a second set of brake levers mounted. I forget what they're called. I took them off and re-wrapped the bar. So maybe there's just too much pressure somewhere. Even so, downshifting (shifting to an easier gear?) seems to just be overly tight compared to my 105 shifters. This is a challenge for me as I have a right wrist condition that make such movements rather painful. Hence my inquiry as to a "lighter" shifter or maybe a bar end shifter. Thanks.
Old 02-01-24, 11:55 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If the long throw of the Shimano brake lever shift is causing issues, get a Microshift STI or one of their variants/knockoffs. They have a 2 paddle system like SRAM. Look up the reviews on this site.
Likes For seypat:
Old 02-04-24, 02:38 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
I don't think I'd be too worried about shifting with friction shifter with an 11 speed. I've done some research and it appears that if I go with a friction shifter I would have to get it from a company called Gevenalle, if I want to get a shifter that is mounted on the brake lever. That's appealing, except for the price. I'd be paying at least $189! I also think I'd have to order a pair, when I only need a single shifter. I can get a good condition used 105 or Ultegra shifter for almost half that price. I can get a pair of new Ultegra shifters for less! So, the price for those friction shifters make it much less attractive. I can get a bar end shifter for alot less, but I think that such a shifter would be a lot less feasible, with taking a hand off the handlebar to fuddle around with the mechanism. So, unless I can be persuaded, I think just have to get an STI shifter that can handle an 11 cassette.
Mate, you can tell from the bloke’s British accent that they are highly trusworthy and of suitable quality for Prince William’s own CX outings so well worth the investment!
Old 02-04-24, 02:40 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Thanks guys. Quick question: I have a line on a great condition used Ultergra shifter for a very good price. It's for an 11-speed. Will it work for a 9-speed setup? I'm considering all my options and with this morning's ride on my "concept" bike, I found that my 9-speed setup is working really well for my needs. But the shifter is really tight. So, I'm still considering a friction shifter or maybe an upgraded STI.
No. Surely the indexing will be all out of whack?
Old 02-05-24, 05:37 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
If the long throw of the Shimano brake lever shift is causing issues, get a Microshift STI or one of their variants/knockoffs. They have a 2 paddle system like SRAM. Look up the reviews on this site.
Exactly why I prefer Sram mechanical over Shimano. And now Microshift (recent addition). I prefer the ergonomics/shift design over Shimano by quite a bit. Microshift will likely be my next full build or if I ever have to replace the Shimano shifters on my wife's bike.

OP: you must match the shifter to the cassette and often the RD as well (exceptions abound).