Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Feeling clumsy

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-18, 10:22 PM
BLE373

Bikes: Schwinn Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feeling clumsy

So just got back on a bike today after 14 years. Felt so clumsy. I only fell once. How long did it take you to feel confident on your bike after a long time not riding? I know it takes time, but I want to see how long it took you. I do feel like I was better than I thought. Rode up and down the street several times. Lol. This forum is so positive. I feel so motivated.
Old 07-08-18, 09:14 AM
ggoytia1

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep the wheels turning, you will get back on it before you know it.
Just a quick fyi... the slower you go the harder to balance yourself up, also check your air pressure.
welcome back👍🏻
Old 07-08-18, 12:20 PM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, it didn’t take me long to “feel confident” after not riding for a few years. The problem isn’t feeling confident, it’s balance. So, about the time I feel confident, I have lost my balance and that is painful not to mention embarrassing. But, after a few rides, my focus tends to be further ahead of me to watch for those places along the way that can cause me to crash, especially when I’m clipped in. Unpredictable soft dirt and/or sand can really cause problems. Just keep at it and you’ll be fine and also glad you’re riding your bike.
Old 07-08-18, 02:30 PM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just go somewhere that provides a soft landing, just in case, look where you want to go, not at your front wheel, and go faster than slower. You'll be fine.
Old 07-08-18, 04:16 PM
Nightcap

Bikes: Bianchi Boardwalk, Specialized Roubaix, Dahon Speed D7, Specialized Roll Elite, Pedego City Commuter Platinum

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BLE373
So just got back on a bike today after 14 years. Felt so clumsy. I only fell once. How long did it take you to feel confident on your bike after a long time not riding? I know it takes time, but I want to see how long it took you. I do feel like I was better than I thought. Rode up and down the street several times. Lol. This forum is so positive. I feel so motivated.
Watch the Tour de France. The top bike rider in the world, Chris Froome, winner of the last four Grand Tours, went ass over teakettle in the first stage yesterday. Falling happens.

But you’ll be surprised how quickly you become adept at controlling the bike. Good luck!
Old 07-11-18, 10:55 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
When I got back on a bike 3 years ago, I think I was pretty nervous having not ridden for several years. But I don't think it took long before I felt like an old pro. Now I feel pretty comfortable on a bike.
Old 07-13-18, 09:38 AM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I don’t feel clumsy, I am clumsy. Just keep going and it’ll get better. Even my extremely accident prone self has gotten use to riding with out feeling like I’m going to topple over. If I can do it, I swear almost anyone can.