Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Winter Cycling eyewear.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Winter Cycling eyewear.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-18, 05:43 PM
Louzride

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix,Specialized Sirius Elite,Trek 1000, Diamondback Sorrento

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter Cycling eyewear.

I am looking for some advice for commuting in the winter, specifically when the temp drops to around 15 degrees or less.I wear cycling glasses, but because I have to wear something over the lower part of my face, my eyewear keeps fogging up.Any thoughts?
Old 12-06-18, 05:51 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I've been using a pair of cheap ski/snowboarding goggles with a very light tint. The ventilation is actually great, both top and bottom, and not so cumbersome. I find any visors or glasses at those temps isn't going to be very good as the wind and cold is too awful for my eyes. With the goggles my eyes are protected, as is the area around them. Find the right pair is key, though. I've used ones that fog up as soon as I pull the balaclava over my nose, or they fog up as soon as I come to a stop.
Old 12-06-18, 09:26 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Decent quality ski goggles are the key to avoid fogging. A good balaclava also helps with antifogging - I have a Serius perforated neoprene balaclava that works as well as any.

Originally Posted by mcours2006
I've been using a pair of cheap ski/snowboarding goggles with a very light tint. The ventilation is actually great, both top and bottom, and not so cumbersome. I find any visors or glasses at those temps isn't going to be very good as the wind and cold is too awful for my eyes. With the goggles my eyes are protected, as is the area around them. Find the right pair is key, though. I've used ones that fog up as soon as I pull the balaclava over my nose, or they fog up as soon as I come to a stop.
Old 12-07-18, 08:06 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
I'm trying something new this winter. just replied to someone about that in another thread. see post #5 here

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...indshield.html
Old 12-07-18, 08:36 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
So much depends on whether you ride warm or cold

I wear glasses and I've not used goggles of any sort, even at -25F, and even for long rides like the Arrowhead Ultra in northern Minnesota. I use a lightweight buff, pulled up over my mouth if necessary. It keeps me surprisingly warm. A bit of a beard helps. I find that anything heavier both keeps me too warm and also tends to fog up my glasses.
Old 12-07-18, 09:19 AM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Rain-X makes an anti-fog product that may work, but I'm not sure if it is safe for plastic. Ski shops or scuba shops should also have products designed to keep the inside of the lens from fogging up. One product that I recently found is called Cat Crap. I will likely give the Cat Crap a try. Let me know if you try it first and how it works.
Old 12-07-18, 12:45 PM
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale Caad 8, Wilier Triestina Jareen

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
I wear glasses and I've not used goggles of any sort, even at -25F, and even for long rides like the Arrowhead Ultra in northern Minnesota. I use a lightweight buff, pulled up over my mouth if necessary. It keeps me surprisingly warm. A bit of a beard helps. I find that anything heavier both keeps me too warm and also tends to fog up my glasses.
My hat's off to you. I'd last about 10 seconds in that kind of weather without a survival suit on.
Old 12-07-18, 04:34 PM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
I recently picked up a pair of Oakley Field Jacket sunglasses. They have a lever on the bridge of your nose that pushes them out maybe 1/4" while keeping the nose rest in place. This allows extra air flow when they start to fog, works great for me at stop lights but so far I've only used them down to around 38-40 degrees.
Old 12-08-18, 08:32 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
Decent quality ski goggles are the key to avoid fogging. A good balaclava also helps with antifogging - I have a Serius perforated neoprene balaclava that works as well as any.
Yup.

Even cheap ski goggles will work....if you have a balaclava that diverts your breath away from the goggles.
Old 12-08-18, 12:00 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Winter Cycling eyewear.
Originally Posted by Louzride
I am looking for some advice for commuting in the winter, specifically when the temp drops to around 15 degrees or less.

I wear cycling glasses, but because I have to wear something over the lower part of my face, my eyewear keeps fogging up

Any thoughts?
Originally Posted by revcp
I wear glasses and I've not used goggles of any sort, even at -25F, and even for long rides like the Arrowhead Ultra in northern Minnesota.

I use a lightweight buff, pulled up over my mouth if necessary. It keeps me surprisingly warm. A bit of a beard helps.

I find that anything heavier both keeps me too warm and also tends to fog up my glasses.
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Yup.

Even cheap ski goggles will work....if you have a balaclava that diverts your breath away from the goggles.
Originally Posted by ripkin
…Anyone else have glasses and a solution to them fogging up all the time when you’re wearing a a balaclava or something?

Maybe some antifogging lens wash or something, I guess
?
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I frequently post about eyeglasses, goggles and fogging; and the strategies to prevent:
I perennially post about my winter eyewear for my 14 mile year-round commute, from about 35° down to as low as 0°.

I must wear my prescription eyeglasses, and fogging is one of the worst dangers of winter riding.

I am entirely satisfied with my system
:…
IME, and from reading numerous posts on the subject, there are three basic methods for preventing fogging, caused by exhaled moist air onto the cold surface of the eyeglasses and goggles:…
Originally Posted by chefisaac
LISTEN to @Jim from Boston

he knows his $hit!
PS:
(from a now-closed thread): In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads.

They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.
In particular
Originally Posted by medic75
Rain-X makes an anti-fog product that may work, but I'm not sure if it is safe for plastic. Ski shops or scuba shops should also have products designed to keep the inside of the lens from fogging up.

One product that I recently found is called Cat Crap. I will likely give the Cat Crap a try. Let me know if you try it first and how it works.
IME, and from reading numerous posts on the subject, there are three basic methods for preventing fogging, caused by exhaled moist air onto the cold surface of the eyeglasses and goggles:…

3) Antifogging agents, like Cat Crap, soap, spit etc.: I find that when exhaling forcefully, and colder temperatures, say under 20° F, those agents can be overcome.

That’s why I suggest:
that any recommendations for winter riding include description of the conditions in which they are employed, i.e. lowest temperature and distance.
I’m not trying to be contrarian about any methods used, but I am zealous because fogging is a difficult and dangerous challenge to winter riding, and would keep me off the bike for about 3 to 4 months during the year.

Every year there are many threads on about the problem.

FYA, I was most impressed
by this system by @TuckamoreDew of Edmonton, AB:...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-09-18 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-10-18, 09:03 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I am trying out some "night drive" sunglasses that I found in CVS which look exactly like this except the logo is "Solar Shield" and it was $20 on the rack:

Which I recommend so far as very satisfactory. Somehow bright headlights and glare are filtered out (no more a-hole blinding you on the MUP!) without degrading my vision at night, and the contrast in the dark is actually improved.

Night Driver Classic Large Square - Night Drivers
Old 12-10-18, 09:09 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Jaws-Quick-An...&keywords=spit
Old 12-10-18, 10:10 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I saw a lot of ski goggles on my commute this morning. I don't feel the need yet, but I understand others do.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-10-18, 10:37 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by noglider
I saw a lot of ski goggles on my commute this morning. I don't feel the need yet, but I understand others do.
My temperature cut-off for Winter goggles (as described above) is 35° F for a full commute of 14 miles, or 6 miles via Commuter Rail. Prescription eyeglasses are fine for shorter distances, but about one mile at 19° recently without goggles was not fun.
… I suggest:
that any recommendations for winter riding include description of the conditions in which they are employed, i.e. lowest temperature and distance.
:

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-10-18 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-10-18, 01:56 PM
prj71

Jim from Boston...

Have you ever been told that your posts are an eye sore to read?
Old 12-10-18, 03:14 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by prj71
Jim from Boston...

Yeah, lots of times, in particular,
(from a now-closed thread) I think it’s a succinct way to capture the variety of a topic.
Originally Posted by TruthBomb
It’s visual diarrhea, pollutes any thread, and is the opposite of succinct (briefly and clearly expressed).
Old 12-10-18, 03:37 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

It's not just the visual layout. Even when I try to read it sequentially, the mental effort to keep track of who said what is considerable and unnecessary. But I gather you don't care, so I won't try to convince you.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 12-10-18, 03:50 PM
Jim from Boston

It's not just the visual layout. Even when I try to read it sequentially, the mental effort to keep track of who said what is considerable and unnecessary.

But I gather you don't care, so I won't try to convince you.
FWIW, each quote box is headed by an attribution, kind of like reading a script, e.g.
Old 12-10-18, 03:53 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

FWIW, each quote box is headed by an attribution, kind of like reading a script, e.g.
Yes I know. I know what you're doing. All the attributions and lines are a visual mess. The result for me is that I usually skip your posts. I might be the tip of an iceberg with other forum users doing the same. But I get it: you don't care. That's OK. It's not because I don't understand it. It's just too much trouble for me. It's like my head is swinging looking at the various speakers.

Old 12-10-18, 05:50 PM
BikingTech

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I am trying out some "night drive" sunglasses that I found in CVS which look exactly like this except the logo is "Solar Shield" and it was $20 on the rack:

Which I recommend so far as very satisfactory. Somehow bright headlights and glare are filtered out (no more a-hole blinding you on the MUP!) without degrading my vision at night, and the contrast in the dark is actually improved.

Night Driver Classic Large Square - Night Drivers
I don't wear glasses at all. Temps here only get to about 12F for a night or two. These look like something for me, not expensive. I'm always losing my glasses or sitting on them.
Old 12-10-18, 09:43 PM
Bruneauinfo

Bikes: Specialized Pitch & Schwinn S-25

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute 6 miles. I use snowboarding goggles and helmet. Works well. With the baklava on, I found that my glasses were fogging up inside the goggles while the goggles themselves were staying clear. I thought the outside was fogging at first, so I tried diverting my breath away from the goggles by cutting holes in the cheeks of the baklava.. etc, didn't work. But what was happening was that my breath was being pumped into the goggles and fogging up my glasses instead through the fabric of the baklava being under the lower portion of the goggles. So, what I finally did with the baklava is I snipped the seam over the bridge of my nose so that it rode down lower on my nose than it was designed to. Still not perfect, but a lot better.
Old 12-11-18, 09:03 AM
prj71

Yeah, lots of times, in particular,
So you acknowledge it but don't care to change it so that people might want to read what you have to say?

Old 12-11-18, 09:06 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
I tried goggles one year but the moisture from around my eyes created a fog after about an hour, then the fog froze so I couldn't even wipe the "frost" off with a cloth. so I built a small fire to evap everything. that worked really quickly
Old 12-11-18, 12:46 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
It's not just the visual layout. Even when I try to read it sequentially, the mental effort to keep track of who said what is considerable and unnecessary. But I gather you don't care, so I won't try to convince you.
Yeah...I personally like the idea but bikeforums "quote" formatting is poor in my opinion for doing that. Probably some way to format it so it would be more readable...
Old 12-11-18, 05:36 PM
Jim from Boston

Jim from Boston...

Yeah, lots of times, in particular,…
So you acknowledge it but don't care to change it so that people might want to read what you have to say?

I have posted on several threads over the years:
(in 2008)...I have been perusing this site for a few weeks and I have had several comments to make so I hope to make useful contributions to future discussion threads, as well as glean from the comments of others.
(in 2014) I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972; …I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

This enthusiasm has definitely increased my enjoyment of cycling. As far as improving it, what I have gotten directly from BF [include]:

• the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise
(from a now-closed thread in 2018)For me the heady days on the Forums were from about 2008 to 2016, in particular participating in the Fifty-Plus Annual Rides, which have since disappeared.

I think I have absorbed all the good advice I can for a complete and agreeable cycling lifestyle, and recently I have clicked on many fewer threads than before.

In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads. They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.

I’m not especially motivated to read or write about rides in areas I will never visit, or bikes I would not buy.
Other cyclists’ biking stories are often meaningful to me, but usually not consequential enough for a reply.

Frankly, now my main enjoyment is reading the personal clashes on the various threads, such as these current ones: "I work with a moron", or ”How often do you check your mirror?.
Originally Posted by Phamilton
(from last week) I appreciate Jim from Boston’s posts.

The Forum is a really limiting means of communication. It’s harder to create context. Jim makes it work. I guess to some people it might not make sense, but I get it.
So. back at'ya.

PS: Note that I have over 6000 posts in the past 10 years, FWIW.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-12-18 at 05:35 AM. Reason: added PS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.