Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Please help identify my Bianchi

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-19, 09:47 AM
Puwo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

A couple of very good friends of mine bought/build me a single speed commuter based on a classic Bianchi. I love it very much but like to know which Bianchi this used to be. Can anybody help me with this?
Having searched this forum I've put together some info that might be helpful.

- The frame has a kind of flag decal
- It has a Columbus fork which is all chromed and has a 'Columbus Foderi Laminati' sticker. It also has the Bianchi logo pressed in the crown
- It used to run a Gipiemme setup
- The right chainstay is chromed, the left one isn't
- It has a serial number that reads N6 on one side and 5784 on the other side of the bottom bracket

As I am new on this forum I'm not allowed to post pictures or urls.

I hope someone can help me with this!
Old 10-27-19, 10:13 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2936 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,496 Posts
Originally Posted by Puwo
Hi,

A couple of very good friends of mine bought/build me a single speed commuter based on a classic Bianchi. I love it very much but like to know which Bianchi this used to be. Can anybody help me with this?

- It has a Columbus fork which is all chromed and has a 'Columbus Foderi Laminati' sticker. It also has the Bianchi logo pressed in the crown
- It has a serial number that reads N6 on one side and 5784 on the other side of the bottom bracket

Hello and Welcome to the forums. Your frame looks like a European model Mondiale from 1989 or 1990. It would have originally had a Campagnolo Croce de Anue group or sold as a frame only.

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/15643241

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-27-19, 10:15 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Hi,

Welcome aboard, glad you found us.

Go around, say "Hi" AND comment on threads that interest you 5 times for 2 days to get 10 posts for pics.
Old 10-27-19, 10:19 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
WOW, great friends, that's very nice.
Old 10-27-19, 12:33 PM
Puwo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your very quick response!

I am looking into the models you've mentioned but I don't see one that has the same 'flag' decals or chrome fork and chainstay. Just to learn something; what makes you think this should be a '89 or '90 Mondiale?
Old 10-27-19, 01:14 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts

I am looking into the models you've mentioned but I don't see one that has the same 'flag' decals or chrome fork and chainstay. Just to learn something; what makes you think this should be a '89 or '90 Mondiale?
I sure don't know, but Bianchigirll has access to catalogs and background info that we mortals can't approach! The graphics you call a 'flag' (3 colored panels) seem to be a "Euro-market thing" of that era.

Check out this post from Seriba, it's not the same as your example but has some similarities:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...gera-giro.html
Old 10-27-19, 01:22 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

With a few special exception Bianchi only used SLX for the top three Italian models in '89 and '90 so that why I chose those years. Generally the Mondiale is the only model that has a chromed chainstay from that era. Normally US market models don't come with chromed forks so that along with the decal style, as mentioned by Unworthy1, appears to be a European model.

Which catalogs are you looking in? Where are you and the bike located? The chrome fork could indicate it was part of a small group order, maybe for sponsorship but who is to say.

Originally Posted by unworthy1
I sure don't know, but Bianchigirll has access to catalogs and background info that we mortals can't approach! The graphics you call a 'flag' (3 colored panels) seem to be a "Euro-market thing" of that era.

Check out this post from Seriba, it's not the same as your example but has some similarities:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...gera-giro.html

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-27-19, 01:34 PM
Puwo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the Netherlands so it is very possible that this is indeed an European model. The decal from unworthy1's link is the same as on my bike (though the coloring is different on both the 3-colored panels and the frame (mine is celeste)).

So far I've found catalogs on velobase, bulgier and 2velo.

I did found one example on google (not in a catalog) by searching for images on 'bianchi columbus slx'. There is a gumtree ad which mentiones a Bianchi Rekord Celeste but I'm pretty sure that is incorrect.
Old 10-27-19, 02:52 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

With catalogs you need to make sure you're looking at the correct catalog for your region.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-28-19, 06:51 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
The frame was definitely manufactured in Italy during late 1989 and should be a 1990 model. The presence of the front derailleur hanger indicates a higher end model. The fork decal, if OEM, suggests a Columbus SLX/SPX tubeset. As noted the decals are indicative of a European model, which do not always correlate to USA models. The Camapagnolo Chorus brakes are period and level correct. Consequently, I'm wondering if they are OEM and the model is actually one step down from suggested by BG.
Old 10-30-19, 04:00 AM
Puwo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The frame was definitely manufactured in Italy during late 1989 and should be a 1990 model. The presence of the front derailleur hanger indicates a higher end model. The fork decal, if OEM, suggests a Columbus SLX/SPX tubeset. As noted the decals are indicative of a European model, which do not always correlate to USA models. The Camapagnolo Chorus brakes are period and level correct. Consequently, I'm wondering if they are OEM and the model is actually one step down from suggested by BG.
You guys are amazing! By one step down you mean a superleggera then I guess?
Old 10-30-19, 04:49 AM
T-Mar

...By one step down you mean a superleggera then I guess?
In the USA, the 1990 Chorus model was the Super Leggera but it may have been different in Europe.
Old 10-30-19, 05:41 AM
Puwo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
In the USA, the 1990 Chorus model was the Super Leggera but it may have been different in Europe.
You wouldn't know where to find an European catalog do you? I've looked for it myself but can only find a 1990 catalog on 2Velo. I can't make up if this is a European or US version but the pictures are to small to determine anything anyway.
Old 10-30-19, 09:50 AM
T-Mar

You wouldn't know where to find an European catalog do you? I've looked for it myself but can only find a 1990 catalog on 2Velo. I can't make up if this is a European or US version but the pictures are to small to determine anything anyway.
If I had been aware of a European catalogue, then I would would have been able to provide a definitive answer. I can't tell but the referenced catalogue may even be Japanese, as many of the online Bianchi catalogues from this era come from a Japanese collector whose website is no longer active.