Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek Verve upgrades/forums

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-23, 01:23 PM
Jbirdie57

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Hey all....posted similar in Gravel bike forum, figured I'd try here also.
Just purchased a very lightly used Trek Verve2 2021 year.
Any must do upgrades that are worthwhile? Tires, gearing bars etc. Looking to see what's possible. Just want to
enjoy throwing better stuff on, making it my own...any forums, info, upgrades etc. would be appreciated. It's a red 2021 and is painfully stock. LOL I'd post a pic but you
know what they look like and I don't have enough posts to be allowed yet. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-26-23, 02:01 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Hi @Jbirdie57, welcome! Congrats on the new bike. You could just ride it and upgrade as parts wear out. Otherwise, mfr's usually cheap out on things like pedals, tires, and saddles, so those would be a good place to start. Unless they're comfortable, especially the saddle, then ride them to bits!
Old 06-26-23, 02:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I wouldn't put money towards the bike, just ride it as is and save your money towards a bike that will serve your needs better.

It is possible the brakes are part of the recall so you might check on that and replace as needed but don't put a bunch of money towards it. The Verve is a low initial cost bike so ride it and figure out what you like and don't like and get a bike that has what you want on it.

If you had to put anything towards the bike find things like touch points (pedals and saddle and maybe grips) that can be moved to another bike easily.
Old 06-26-23, 03:19 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 433 Times in 251 Posts
Welcome!

It's your bike so do as you please!

My wife has a Verve 3 that I have resisted the urge to modify beyond saddle and a pink kitty bell to match my daughter's bike. Future changes will be limited to pedals, tires, and SKS Blumel fenders. I have considered upgrading the group but it works great for her so I'll leave good enough alone. It's better that way for all parties involved.
Old 06-26-23, 05:34 PM
Jbirdie57

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks Korina.....good advice.
Likes For Jbirdie57:
Old 06-26-23, 05:36 PM
Jbirdie57

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks Vegan....just looking for cool things to add.
Likes For Jbirdie57:
Old 06-26-23, 05:37 PM
Jbirdie57

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for advice....
Likes For Jbirdie57:
Old 06-26-23, 07:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Jbirdie57
Thanks Vegan....just looking for cool things to add.
The coolest thing is getting the bike you want. Save the money towards the bike that you want. Buying a bunch of single components is expensive buying a bike with all the components you want or as close as reasonably to it as possible is cheaper. For low initial cost hybrids it is just spending the least you can to keep it safely rideable and when it starts getting expensive time to move on. Good pedals and a saddle you like can move to a different bike but certain other components might not be worth it and putting that money towards the current bike will not really add the value that will make it all back at the end.

Also moving accessories is fine, lights and bells and stuff like that can sometimes move to a different bike. I have lights I move between bikes frequently.
Old 06-27-23, 01:33 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Thanks Korina.....good advice.
Happy to help. Go around and ask some questions and admire others' bikes, and after 10 posts you'll be able to show off pics of your new steed!
Likes For Korina:
Old 06-27-23, 06:26 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
The other side of this discussion is the intangible enjoyment you get out of turning hex wrenches and putting your stamp on something. I get this completely. I have six or seven hybrids, and all use pretty much the same basic component standards (7/8/9-speed drivetrains, 100/135mm hubs, etc.) and I swap stuff around on them all the time. I like trying different things and seeing how this component over here might work over there. My goal is not to get more speed out of one bike vs. the next. My goal is not to set a personal best record on a particular ride route. That's not why I cycle and it's not why I wrench on my bikes. I do it because it brings me enjoyment and satisfaction...it's something that I personally enjoy doing and I'm not particularly concerned about the financial perspective or getting my money back on something. That's not the end goal for me. Most of my bikes are hybrid bikes because they're what I like to ride.

So I can certainly identify with wanting to upgrade a Verve. I've done that myself. I once owned a 2015 Verve...beautiful bike and I never should have sold it. I sold it to buy a 2018 Giant Roam and never really did like that Giant the way I'd hoped and wish I had that Verve back. Anyway, the 2021 Verve has clearance for big tires and tires are the first thing I'd personally do with it. If you're interested in a nice ride or lower rolling resistance, you can spend money on some pretty supple tires...there are plenty in the 45-50mm range for these wheels (622mm, or more commonly referred to as "700c"). If your Verve has disc brakes, you could consider swapping to 584mm wheels (more commonly referred to as "650b" or "27.5 inch"). This would allow for even larger rubber if that interests you. I agree with Korina on things like saddle, pedals, and grips. These three contact points are usually pretty basic items from the factory and better stuff can be had. You may find better braking out of upgraded brakes or just brake pads (regardless of whether you have disc or rim brakes).

I like adding a rack to make the bike more versatile. I do enjoy "utility biking" where I'm riding with a specific purpose (groceries, hauling something from here to there, etc.). I have a bike trailer that started out as a Thule Chariot jogging stroller and it's now a flatbed cargo trailer that I use for hauling camp chairs to go watch fireworks at the park, or hauling firewood, or even Chick-fil-A hot boxes full of sandwiches for a fundraiser at church.

None of the things I mentioned above are required to ride or enjoy your bike, they won't make you faster, and they won't increase the value of your bike. However, I suspect you're a little bit like me and none of that is the object of the game for you.
Old 07-02-23, 07:22 PM
Alzerbster

Bikes: 2021 Verve 2018 Cannondale Adventure

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
First thing I did when I got my Verve is remove the 45mm tires that made the bike feel slow and cumbersome. Added fenders, a rack, changed the pedals, and added a brooks saddle.
Old 07-04-23, 10:19 AM
Jbirdie57

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks ofr the post...as far as upgraded derauilliers, what would you suggest, would fit?
Old 07-04-23, 11:59 AM
Alzerbster

Bikes: 2021 Verve 2018 Cannondale Adventure

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks ofr the post...as far as upgraded derauilliers, what would you suggest, would fit?
Not sure why you would want to change the derailleurs? The bike comes with adequate deraileurs. Its not a bike for fast paced riding. I ride 100% rail trails that have mostly packed limestone/limestone dust, and some asphalt. Not sure your intentions for the bike, but unless you are riding gravel or rougher surfaces the first thing I would get rid of are the 45mm tires. I hated the stock tires it came with. Other than that, you are not going to find much difference in different derailleurs unless the ones on the bike are not working right. If its not shifting right most likely the cable tension for the derailleurs just needs adjusted. If its just better deraileurs you want. I'd save my money and get a different bike with better derailelurs.
Old 07-06-23, 08:43 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
You can get a friction shifter for the front, something like Sunrace SL-M10 https://store.biketouringnews.com/su...thumb-shifter/
It makes the front setup trivial.
Old 08-01-23, 12:12 PM
Capecodder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hey all....posted similar in Gravel bike forum, figured I'd try here also.
Just purchased a very lightly used Trek Verve2 2021 year.
Any must do upgrades that are worthwhile? Tires, gearing bars etc. Looking to see what's possible. Just want to
enjoy throwing better stuff on, making it my own...any forums, info, upgrades etc. would be appreciated. It's a red 2021 and is painfully stock. LOL I'd post a pic but you
know what they look like and I don't have enough posts to be allowed yet. Thanks in advance!
I recently bought a Verve 1 and don't feel anything needs to be upgraded. Just ride the heck out of yours.
Old 08-06-23, 11:38 AM
Jbirdie57

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Had enough posts to be able to send pics. My 2021 Trek Verve2 Still want to make it a 1by, cleaner look. A few mods....anyway here it is, thanks all for advice. Each post was read and considered.
Likes For Jbirdie57:
Old 08-07-23, 03:33 PM
hokiefyd 

That's in one of Trek's best recent colors in my humble opinion!
Old 08-07-23, 05:21 PM
Jbirdie57

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks...she's purty. lol
Old 09-27-23, 06:35 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 433 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Trav1s
Welcome!

It's your bike so do as you please!

My wife has a Verve 3 that I have resisted the urge to modify beyond saddle and a pink kitty bell to match my daughter's bike. Future changes will be limited to pedals, tires, and SKS Blumel fenders. I have considered upgrading the group but it works great for her so I'll leave good enough alone. It's better that way for all parties involved.
I have since made some upgrades... because I can!
  • Swapped the original saddle for a Selle Anatomic R2 I picked up on sale. (Impression is still forming)
  • RaceFace Ride pedals replaced the Trek platforms
  • I installed Shimano Alivio brakes in place of the Tektro assemblies that came on it. I'll use the Tektro assemblies on another project bike that needs brakes. For $30, I think it was a wise and worthy upgrade.
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 11-06-23, 04:48 PM
bharrisonb
FreedomRider

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh Sports, 2008 Specialized Sequoia, 2016 Trek Verve 2, 2023 Cannondale Adventure Neo Allroad ebike

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 53 Posts
This morning's ride with my 2016 Trek Verve 2 ... biggest upgrade is a rack , pedals / toe clips, and a Brooks B67 saddle with a non-suspension seat post. I have replaced the rear axle (snapped in half!). Otherwise, a fine bike for rides under 50 miles.

Trek Verve 2 at Manchester-By-The-Sea, Massachusetts
Old 12-26-23, 03:53 PM
munkeyfish 

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrails Disc XL Frame. 2021 Trek Verve 2 Step Through XL frame.

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I have a Verve 2 Step through XL frame. It seems like the Bontrager H5 700x45 tires are a thing of the past that originally came with the bike.

What would you guys recommend?

Mostly neighborhood riding and paved trails/rail to trails stuff. This bike is 99.9% used on paved surfaces. I’m interested in puncture resistant tires for sure as this is what destroyed my stock tire.

thanks
Old 12-26-23, 04:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by munkeyfish
Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I have a Verve 2 Step through XL frame. It seems like the Bontrager H5 700x45 tires are a thing of the past that originally came with the bike.

What would you guys recommend?

Mostly neighborhood riding and paved trails/rail to trails stuff. This bike is 99.9% used on paved surfaces. I’m interested in puncture resistant tires for sure as this is what destroyed my stock tire.

thanks
I would look at something from Schwalbe like one of Marathon variants in the size you want.
Old 12-28-23, 02:35 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would look at something from Schwalbe like one of Marathon variants in the size you want.
In addition to this very good suggestion, check out the Continental Ride Tour. I use and recommend these as very durable tires:

https://www.continental-tires.com/pr...res/ride-tour/

The solid center rib provides a smooth and quiet ride on pavement, but the tire can handle some off-pavement stuff with the side tread blocks, especially if you air them down just a little bit. The 47-622 size under the 28" product heading would be the size appropriate for your Verve.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 12-31-23, 10:23 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
In addition to this very good suggestion, check out the Continental Ride Tour. I use and recommend these as very durable tires:

https://www.continental-tires.com/pr...res/ride-tour/

The solid center rib provides a smooth and quiet ride on pavement, but the tire can handle some off-pavement stuff with the side tread blocks, especially if you air them down just a little bit. The 47-622 size under the 28" product heading would be the size appropriate for your Verve.
Also love the Travel Contacts which have changed slightly since I got mine in 2015-16