Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano crank recall

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shimano crank recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-23, 03:18 PM
Madridjoe
Man, I love this bike!

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SLR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Took my 2016 Emonda in for fall tune up yesterday and asked them to inspect the crank. Got a call today that the crank had failed inspection and they expect it will take a couple weeks for the replacement. Will have to wait now and see what Shimano sends. Meanwhile glad for my backup bike!
Likes For Madridjoe:
Old 11-10-23, 05:28 PM
Madridjoe
Man, I love this bike!

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SLR

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Picked my bike up today. A 3 week turnaround for me. New Ultegra compact crank, raining here today but expect to get a ride in tomorrow.
Likes For Madridjoe:
Old 11-13-23, 09:57 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
my crank is not in the recall group (yet), but regardless i'd like to know what a failing inspected crank (that was otherwise considered ok by the user) looks like just so i can look out for any signs.
I work at a LBS in Florida and I'm doing most of the recall crank inspections for the shop. Most of the "failures" that I've inspected had very small defects, nothing that the rider would have noticed while on the bike. In some cases it took a magnifying glass to verify that damage was actually present. Also, most of the damage / defects that I've found while inspecting the affected cranksets has been in areas where the chainrings mount to the spider. In most cases, this damage would not have been found without removing the crankset from the bike and fully disassembling it.

Shimano has also reported that damaged cranks may make a clicking noise (perhaps similar to a BB that is starting to fail).

Of the cranksets that we've mailed back to Shimano all have been replaced with new cranksets. None have been rejected and sent back. However, Shimano's official position is that cranksets found to not have defects will be mailed back to the LBS for reinstallation. That situation would not prevent the customer from bringing back the crankset for a re-inspection (and potential replacement) should a problem arise at a future date.
Likes For Turnin_Wrenches:
Old 02-15-24, 09:31 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
The LBS sent my 9000 DA crankset to Shimano last week and I picked up a new DA 9200 today.
Style-wise, I liked the 9000 better, but it's hard to argue about getting new 50/34 rings.
My old set showed significant wear and would need replacement within a couple years, anyway.
Took the opportunity to replace cassette, chain, pulleys, and bottom bracket. Feels like a brand new bike!
The shop said my chances - from the start - looked very good, due to the 30k+ miles.
Likes For roadcrankr: