Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2006 Sworks Tarmac seat post clamp

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-24, 02:49 PM
Jjbailey930

Bikes: Trek Domane, Felt Z85, CAAD 7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 18 Posts

Hi all - looking at local FS listing for one of these. Intrigued by its low weight. Overall in decent shape with new 105 cassette, chain, cables, pads. Frame in good shape. No play in BB or headset. Only issue I see is odd seat post tube clamp. Seems these have been updated in their model lineup and these vintage are unobtanium. Any concerns tightening the clamp which could crack the tube? Or sourcing new clamp style to replace this one? TIA. .
Old 01-27-24, 04:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I'd always be concerned about seat post clamps and anything else that is essentially one-off stuff and unique only for that particular production run of the frame. Don't forget those other components are pretty dated too. But you can replace them with more modern 11 speed stuff. But only if the price is right for that bike.
Old 01-27-24, 05:08 PM
Jjbailey930

Yeah, the shifters are original and derailleurs too. I have 2 other potential donor bikes to swap out parts. DT460 wheels from a CAAD 7 and 105 pieces from a Felt I use on my trainer. Then will sell one of those to thin the herd. My main ride is a 2021 carbon Domane so this would be fun/beater bike.
Old 01-27-24, 06:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Tarmac gives a pretty aggressive position compared to a Domane. But maybe your use for a beater is not the same as my use for a beater.
Old 01-27-24, 08:20 PM
Jjbailey930

Yeah, it is more roady which is what I want for 500 to try at my age. No biggie. Road it a bit at the current seat height but i need io raise up the seat. I do have a CAAD 7 which is also more roady so no worries on the geometry. Just need advice on the seat clamp. Thanks