Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic brake pull distance

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-24, 08:12 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts

I probably already know my answer, but figured I'd ask here just in case.

For hydraulic brifters, the reach adjustment is always set to obtain the longest reach as my meathooks dont have an issue gripping & pulling the lever.
What I'd like to know is if that adjustment hinders bleeding the brakes?
Can that adjustment feature be repurposed to better enhance applied braking with some kind of modification?
Old 02-14-24, 10:08 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Can that adjustment feature be repurposed to better enhance applied braking with some kind of modification?
That's sort of the idea behind the feature. It lets you get the levers where you can do your best braking. However, like you, I have mine out at their max position. I can lock up both wheels or modulate the braking. So what better braking enhancement are you imagining?

Actually there are two different adjustments. One is for brake lever reach. And the other is for how much the levers travel before they engage. So be sure which you actually have.
Old 02-14-24, 01:11 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
I'll have to look, but I only have identified a reach adjustment.

The unused reach dead space would be nice to repurpose for allowing pad tolerances to change.
Old 02-14-24, 07:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
The previous (11 speed) version of the disc brake brifters, Dura Ace and Ultegra had both reach and "free stroke" (travel before pads touch) adjustment, but 105 had only reach. I don't know about the new 12 speed generation of levers.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-15-24, 07:16 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
There is no magical way to increase pad retraction. I have the opposite problem where I have to set the levers as close to the bars as possible, without the levers bottoming out on the bars. My SRAM Force AXS levers have contact adjustment, but all it does is add dead band, so it has no value for me. The default position with the adjuster turned fully CCW is used when bleeding and never needs to be turned CW.
​​​​​
Old 02-15-24, 01:14 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
There is no magical way to increase pad retraction. I have the opposite problem where I have to set the levers as close to the bars as possible, without the levers bottoming out on the bars. My SRAM Force AXS levers have contact adjustment, but all it does is add dead band, so it has no value for me. The default position with the adjuster turned fully CCW is used when bleeding and never needs to be turned CW.
​​​​​
SRAM Force AXS have 2 adjusters. One is for bite point (the one you mentioned) and the other is for lever position ie gap from bar to lever.