Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Stem Riser vs. Adjustable Stem- best solution

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-11, 01:25 PM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

Wasn't sure where to post this but figured here since I mostly ride to commute.

I am coming to the conclusion that I need to raise the handlebars on my new cyclocross bike. I am getting terrible stiff upper shoulders/lower neck after even a short 5 mile ride. I have really tried to make sure I'm not locking elbows, doing grip of death, etc. when riding. I think I'm just leaning too far forward and down- too much pressure on upper body, not taking enough with through the seat or able to use lower back muscles to support my torso. Best I can tell, a small rise in the bars, bring them even or slightly higher than the seat will alleviate this problem.

So I've searched the forums to understand options and come down to either a stem riser or adjustable stem- probably the one Richey makes. I bob back and forth between options. I can see pros and cons of both. Any advice on which is a better option?

I'll edit my original post here with updates of pros and cons to keep everything organized:

Adjustable Stem
Pros:
1. Have more control over angle and final height
Cons:
1. Potentially creaky

Riser
Pros:

Cons:
1. Less adjustment ability (with the angle)

Last edited by matimeo; 09-16-11 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-16-11, 01:43 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
i've got a Forte adjustable stem on my newish hybrid. i got it because i needed a longer stem anyway for a proper fit and i wanted to play around a bit with the angle. now that i have the angle i like dialed in, i'll probably get a rigid stem of the same length and angle at some point down the road. the adjustable stem isn't bad or anything, but when i'm up out of the saddle hammering hard on the bike, i can hear some creaks coming from the adjustable stem even though it's very firmly tightened. i don't like creaks.
Old 09-16-11, 01:49 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
3rd option: new front fork with longer tube?

I haven't tried a stem riser, at least not yet. I think there's a project in the hopper that will call for one. But it seems like that's the solution to your problem. If you wanted to mess around with different angles, that's what I used my adjustable stem for. Once I figured out where I wanted the bars to be, I got a non-adjustable stem. I was also having a problem where I couldn't eliminate the wobble from my adjustable stem. I don't know if that's common or not, but I figure an adjustable stem just gives you one extra potential fail point that serves no function if you're not adjusting it. If folks have had luck with the stem riser, then that is how I'd go.
Old 09-16-11, 04:31 PM
ShinyBiker
Pedaling fool

Bikes: 07 Schwinn Voyageur GSD, Next Avalon, 2007 Dahon Yeah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A couple of pros with the adjustable stem:

-You can lower it further if you want to have an "aero" day.
-If you ever sell the bike, adjustable stem is a selling point in that the new owner can adjust the stem to his/her liking.
Old 09-16-11, 04:40 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I use adjustable stems to dial in the right position then swap them for a rigid stem although on something like a touring bike the adjust ability can be nice when you want to change things up to change position a little.
Old 09-16-11, 04:57 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
If you're ever going to use the bike for cyclocross, the adjustable stem may be risky, but otherwise it's probably the way to go.

Short of paying for a full bike fit, it can be really hard to guess what size stem you're going to need. The adjustable stem isn't perfect -- it still limits you to a specific arc -- but it will definitely get you in the right balpark.

If you have the funds available, a bike fit may be worth the money. Sunset Cycles does a "comfort" fit for $45 + parts, which sounds like all you'd need.
Old 09-16-11, 05:24 PM
ibis_ti

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized multi stem? +/- 16 degrees in 2 degree increments.
Old 09-16-11, 05:52 PM
Sundance89

Bikes: [IMG]https://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/89ScottG/TourdeScottsdalePic.jpg[/IMG]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

(Stem Riser)

(Ajustable Stem)

Cross bikes have very short head tubes. I have a 64 cm frame (seat tube) on my Cross, but it only has a 165mm head tube. That's pretty short for a frame that size.

I like the Ritchie Adjustable Stem. It is the most secure design IMO, but I should warn you, it is NOT as quickly adjusted as most other designs. If you decide on getting the Ritchie, post again or PM me and I can run you through how to do it. It's pretty simple actually, aside from having to take it off to adjust it. The trade off is a rock solid design though.
Old 09-17-11, 12:00 AM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I have been mulling this over. Possibly considering the stem below that has a 35 degree rise. An online stem calculator says that will give me an additional 1.7 inches of rise. That should be just the right amount and I can save my money for something a little more solid than an adjustable stem. Maybe I'll be sorry for not trying adjustable first but I'm thinking this is a good solution.

https://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ucts_id=420949
Old 09-17-11, 06:40 AM
MK313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the stem riser that sundance pictured on one of my bikes & I love it. It's been rock solid for me so far.
Old 09-17-11, 09:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I did Both, Bought a BBB Stem raiser, It's an internal quill , and so I got to move
the Stock Adjustable stem, on my 04 Koga Miyata Trekking bike.

Special center bolt is internally threaded for the threadless headset top cap .

Bike Mine got the US distribution Contract for the NL based BBB company.
Old 09-17-11, 02:32 PM
Hippiebrian

Bikes: Raleigh Sojourn, '67 Raleigh Super Course, old Gary Fisher Mamba, and a generic Chinese folder

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought an adjustable stem and almost immediately went with a fixed 35 degree fixed stem. The adjustable one, no matter how tight it was, would wiggle a bit when pulled on driving me nuts! The fixed one obviously doesn't, and positioned the handlebars just a hair higher than the seat. Works great!
Old 09-17-11, 02:45 PM
El Duderino X
Hrumph!

Bikes: 2007 Dahon Cadenza w/ Alfine IGH11, modified MEC Desire w/Alfine IGH8,+ 2 ebikes: Bionx PL350 & 36V eZee FHB/Tidalforce frames.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's also the NVO option:

https://www.nvocomponents.com/

Dahon is offering an adjustable version (Dahon Axis Stem) on a couple of their bikes.