Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter Clothing

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Winter Clothing

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-05, 01:33 PM
KevinmH9

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really would like to bike year round, but the weather up here in the mountains of New Hampshire can get mightly cold sometime and last time I was on a bike was Thanksgiving for maybe about an hour before it felt like my nuts were going to freeze off (not minding my head, arms, legs and like my whole body pretty much). I was curious what kind of stuff that LBS shops sell for winter cycling without it feeling like you are bundling up for a ski trip. Last thing I want to do is put any extra weight on myself and make myself heavier so it's harder to bike.
Old 01-17-05, 02:36 PM
Ken Cox
King of the Hipsters

Bikes: Realm Cycles Custom

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As I've written in a recent similar thread, I find that Performance Triflex Bibs, with a chamois, have kept me perfectly comfortable, at least so far, down to +5F.
At that temperature I have not felt even the beginnings of cold below my waist.
Now, below +20F or so, I wear Sidekick booties, and that probably helps.
And, then, when we have frozen ruts, I wear Rollerblade knee pads, and I've noticed the difference when I take them off.
Otherwise, I wear only the bibs, a medium weight polypropylene jersey, and bike-specific (over the butt and a drawstring, and a high neck) rain-resistant windbreaker.
Under my helmet I wear a skull cap that covers my ears.
I have had a serious time with my hands, though.
I wear Descente Weather Warriors and good wool liners, but sometimes my hands hurt more than I thought my hands could hurt.
I may go to pogies (over the handlebar glove-bags).
Old 01-17-05, 02:45 PM
GreenFix

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinmH9
I really would like to bike year round, but the weather up here in the mountains of New Hampshire can get mightly cold sometime and last time I was on a bike was Thanksgiving for maybe about an hour before it felt like my nuts were going to freeze off (not minding my head, arms, legs and like my whole body pretty much). I was curious what kind of stuff that LBS shops sell for winter cycling without it feeling like you are bundling up for a ski trip. Last thing I want to do is put any extra weight on myself and make myself heavier so it's harder to bike.
I ride in NH, and this year I plan on riding all year. So far so good. Are you riding on the road or off the road? I have been riding off road, and so far this year (a relatively warm year), I have been plently warm. I find that if I dress like I am going cross country skiing it is just about right.

My clothing:
ON bottom
Performance shorts, knee warmers and brushed plypro tights, wool socks, PI MTB shoes.
On top:
Duofold polypro top, long sleeve cycling jersey, windshell, Insulated cross country gloves, helmet with helmet cover, glasses (clear safety glasses).

I find that this is plenty warm for mountainbiking, but I am sure that I would need more on the road with the increased speed and exposure.

WHere are you riding in NH? I ride over in the CT river valley.
Old 01-17-05, 03:36 PM
Shorty
Riding is Praying

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Fisher Tassajara, Indy Fab Crown Jewel; Titan NOS fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Items I would highly recommend: Lake MXZ 300 boots, the "toasty boy" or "Ice Queen" jacket from Ground Effect and Pearl's "Inferno" glove. The gloves have taken me down below zero (though I'd recommend liners if you really cycle below zero) and the jacket has taken me into the teens with just a waffel underarmor style shirt and the shoes, though a bit untested, seem extreemly comfortable into the teens too, so I'd bet the go further. I usually skip the shell because I do get that overbundled feeling, which is why I like the jacket I mentioned. Any windproof fleece should do though.
Old 01-17-05, 05:30 PM
KevinmH9

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help all, I'll probably head over to local LBS sometime next week, maybe next weekend to see what they got. And to answer your question GreenFix, I am up in college in the Plymouth area so my biking would more than likely be along Route 25, Lakes Region, and White Mountain Region.