Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Front Derailleur Problem

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Front Derailleur Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-21, 10:37 AM
GHerbo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front Derailleur Problem

Hi I'm having a weird problem with a front derailleur and cant find any help.

Its a 3 ring Shimano and i've managed to get it working but whenever I shift down from the largest ring it automatically shifts all the way down to the smallest ring (skipping the middle). Doesn't seemed to be a cable/limit screw issue. Anyone know whats up?
Old 06-16-21, 10:52 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
What shifter(make and model) and what derailleur do you have? Limit screws only limit how far the derailleur travels from large to small chainrings.
Old 06-16-21, 11:07 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Is it an STI setup, and are you using the stock derailleur and crankset/rings? I had this same issue when I changed to smaller rings. The issue is/was caused by the triple derailleur hump not lining up to lift the chain onto the big ring. Due to this, more tension has to be put onto the cable to get ti to shift up, and that ends up causing a big shift down when the tension is released. I have not solved this issue yet, but one of the fixes is to use a derailleur for a double without the hump:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/trou...h-sti-triples/
Old 06-16-21, 11:13 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
With just one post you aren't yet allowed to post pictures. That would get the fastest and best answer. The derailleur itself only does what the shift mechanism lets it do so most likely there is a problem inside the shifter. If you had a bar end shifter this would be a very easy problem of using a screw driver to tighten the bolt on the side of the shift mechanism. If you have SRAM Grip Shifters the repair is much more difficult. You can see what holds the shifter in each position here
. If the index spring is broken or bent your shift mechanism is probably toast. The Grip shifters are very common on bikes.
Old 06-16-21, 11:18 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
What type of shifter (specific model number, if possible).

Loosen the cable binding bolt at the derailleur. Feed the inner cable back through the bottom bracket guide and any downtube guides, so that you can hold the inner cable just beyond where it exits the initial downtube cable stop. Apply finger tension to the cable, enough to slightly resist movement initiated by the shifter. By feel, how many shift "clicks" can you feel through the cable when starting in the most slack, "lowest" shifter setting? Now, from the highest or "tightest" setting, how many clicks can you feel down to the end?

Can you feel the cable pull length changing as you shift up and down at the shifter?

With the cable unattached, can you manually swing the derailleur from the lowest desired set point to outward and centered over the largest chain ring? Return the derailleur to its sprung inner position. Shift the rear to its innermost cog. Is there any chain rubbing on the inner edge inside of the front derailleur cage? Conversely, is there more than 1mm air gap between the chain and the inner cage? If so, you'll need to adjust the "L" limit screw on the front derailleur to make the gap correct without rubbing. I like as small a gap as I can dial in.

This is your starting point. Now we'll know how many trim settings you should expect to have. We'll also be able to tell you how taut to have the cable set up initially, in the starting (lowest) ring. From there, it's simply a tension adjustment
Old 06-16-21, 12:18 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3415 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by GHerbo
Its a 3 ring Shimano and i've managed to get it working but whenever I shift down from the largest ring it automatically shifts all the way down to the smallest ring (skipping the middle). Doesn't seemed to be a cable/limit screw issue. Anyone know whats up?
It's always a good idea to start with the official Shimano instructions.

Note the parts I've highlighted:

Shimano FD-5703 triple derailleur instructions

Likes For terrymorse: