Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Cyclocross to Start Racing?

Old 12-27-12, 07:18 PM
IP Freely

Bikes: 2011 Felt F5, 2013 Kona Jake (stolen)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cyclocross to Start Racing?

Hey guys,

I've been bike commuting for about two years and about a year ago I caught the bug and also bought a road bike, a Felt F5. I'm interested in ditching my hybrid commuter and getting a cyclocross bike as my around-town/commuter bike (looking at the Jamis Nova Race).

Once I get the cross bike, I feel like I should at least try out a cyclocross race. I've done centuries and organized group rides on the Felt, but haven't done any actual racing yet. Am I nuts to start racing on the cyclocross course, or is it easier to pick up than your average Cat 5 road race?

Thanks!
Old 12-27-12, 08:14 PM
adam_mac84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
grass doesn't hurt as much to crash on. I think CX is a great place to start... get used to riding close to other riders without freaking out... rubbing shoulders etc. Everything is a bit slower on grass, and the cost of istakes is less on grass vs pavement
Old 12-27-12, 10:46 PM
1242Vintage

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a commuter too and this Summer decided to give cyclocross racing a shot. Last racing experience was a couple decades ago in college in a crit that didn't end well. I was taken out in a crash that wrecked both my bike and left shoulder.

My experience with cross racing this fall was much different. Raced 11 times this season and had a blast. I crashed several times but speeds are low and most of the surfaces are somewhat forgiving (grass/dirt/sand/and of course the dreaded mud). I just got back up and kept going. My "best" wipeout was a very slow motion fail going through a sand pit.

Best thing I did was to join a club and attend a pre-season clinic. Couple of Saturday mornings learning some basic skills and getting pointers from experienced guys during the season really helped.

Give it a shot next season. Worst case scenario is if cross racing is not your thing, a cross bike makes a really good wet weather commuter . I'm hooked and will be using my commute to work on skills and conditioning that will help improve my performance next season.

Good luck.
Old 12-28-12, 12:13 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Place you lose time is hesitating going over barriers, so Practice that, until its fluid.
and learn to Run fast carrying the bike up steep slippery slopes
Old 12-28-12, 11:45 AM
Gordy748

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adam_mac84
grass doesn't hurt as much to crash on.
This +1. I've just started doing competitive cycling, and decided to try cyclocross. Crashing after overloading your front wheel going around a muddy corner hurts a lot less than going down on a graveled corner.
Old 12-28-12, 02:02 PM
KDTX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Cross is where I started! For reasons mentioned above plus:

You will more than likely get dropped in your first road race. This is humbling and can be a discouraging experience.

In cross, if you or not in the lead group, you can just race at your best pace. Other than the leaders, none of the spectators know who is 2nd - last place. Lots less intimidation factor.

Also, you have a pretty good chance of not coming in last in your first cross race. This really can't be said for RR or crits.
Old 12-28-12, 03:01 PM
Yotsko

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give it a go! Cross racing and road racing = apples and oranges.
Old 12-28-12, 03:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You will more than likely get dropped in your first road race.
In a cross race, being a closed loop, you get Lapped..
Old 12-28-12, 04:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The best/worst thing about CX is that after a lap or two you have no idea what place you're in.
Old 12-28-12, 07:34 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with everything said so far. Cross is the only bike racing I do.

Pick a bike that will suit your budget and your other planned uses. If you really get hooked you'll probably want a dedicated race bike eventually.
Old 12-28-12, 07:35 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
The best/worst thing about CX is that after a lap or two you have no idea what place you're in.
If I can count the other racers at the start I usually have a pretty good idea.

It's a no-brainer. CX is the place to start racing.
Old 12-31-12, 08:25 PM
eddubal
Mud, Gore & Guts

Bikes: 2012 Van Dessel Gin & Trombones; 2011 Masi Speciale SSCX; '87 Peugeot Cannonball Express

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get it and race it. The racing is a LOT of fun and the atmosphere at the races is just as much fun. Practice your skills beforehand and you'll end up with a good experience racing. If you can, go to a clinic. It's a great way to start and get your feet wet.

CX is also one of the safest racing disciplines, so you don't have to worry about killing yourself. The speeds are slow (relatively) and most of the course is softish. Enjoy!
Old 01-01-13, 10:41 AM
rithem
Foward Leaning Attitude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
It's a no-brainer. CX is the place to start racing.
+1 since 2007 never looked back hit race # 100 at the end of the 2012 season SO MUCH FUN has made the last 5 years of my life awesome, now I just need to win a 3 race.
Old 01-03-13, 03:33 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I have to beg to differ slightly from the previous posters, in that I think cyclocross is a great place to start racing if that's the kind of racing you are excited about! I just wouldn't say that it's an objectively better place to start, overall. If cyclocross racing is what you want to do, start by racing cyclocross. If road racing is what you want to do, start racing road. If you want to try both, just start with whichever one happens to be in season when you decide to try racing, and then do the next one when that comes along. I started racing road two years before I ever did a cyclocross race, and four years before I actually raced a real cyclocross season (albeit a short one). I wish I had gotten into cross sooner, but I don't regret starting on the road one bit and I don't see how starting with cyclocross would have been any better an experience for me.
Old 01-06-13, 05:36 PM
1speedlos

Bikes: All-City Nature Boy Zona, Cannondale XTJ SS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a lot of fun, and I think that CX is a welcoming way for beginners to get started in bike racing. My first bike race was in 1979, BMX. My first road race 1989, MTB 1992. If those disciplines were as low-key as they were back then, I'd say it wouldn't matter. Unfortunately, that's not always the case.
CX racers remind me of the road and MTB racers back when I was starting out.

Los
Old 01-16-13, 10:06 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
how does one get into doing cross racing? Does it cost money to enter events? Are they always in the morning?
Old 01-17-13, 09:38 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
how does one get into doing cross racing? Does it cost money to enter events? Are they always in the morning?
1) find a CX race.

2) get a bike. (CX bike, mtb bike, road bike that can fit wide knobby tires all can be used for most races, but check with the race organizer if you're planning on using a MTB )

3) show up, pay money, sign release, pin on number, go race.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 01-17-13, 05:55 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, that.

In a lot of areas shops or organizers will put on free clinics before the season starts where you can learn some of the skills involved, etc...