Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

One-day auto insurance policies for the Car Light Cyclist?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 01-18-20, 11:49 PM
Lively or Not

Bikes: 1985 Raleigh Portage, 1976 Araya commuter (yes, they make frames)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I'm looking to hear from folks living in the United States here. This is an issue that varies significantly among nations....

I'm currently car light. I own a car but rarely drive it. I am considering selling my car this spring. I anticipate there will be a handful of times each year when doing a task will require a car because of where I live. I'm not opposed to renting a car for a day a few times a year. I would prefer, however, to avoid paying the high insurance rates from the rental company. I obviously will cancel my auto insurance when I sell my car, so tacking on rental coverage won't be an option. Has anyone here had success getting a one-day policy from a regular insurance agent (again, when you don't have a regular auto policy)? If so, did you save money over the rental company price? Or am I unicorn hunting here, and is my only option to purchase insurance from the rental company?
Likes For Lively or Not:
Old 01-19-20, 01:34 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Some (travel) credit cards have a collision damage waiver feature. Would this suffice in the US for your purposes?
Old 01-19-20, 09:41 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Don't you have "car share" in your town? Downunder we've got several competing car share companies, subscribe ($50-100ish pa) and hire cars by the hour (from about $8/hr, fuel etc included).

Otherwise last sat time I "traditional" rented a car they charged $30/day to reduce access.

The rental firm would have benefit of economies of scale. Which insurance company would you think would bother taking on risk plus doing the paperwork for less than $30?
Old 01-19-20, 11:00 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by alias5000
Some (travel) credit cards have a collision damage waiver feature. Would this suffice in the US for your purposes?
I think they typically only cover collision damage, as you say. What most states require is personal liability (and even if it isn't legally required, you would be nuts to drive anywhere without it).
Old 01-19-20, 01:24 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
https://www.carinsurancefordriver.com/

https://www.thebalance.com/temporary...ptions-2645566
Old 01-20-20, 06:02 AM
Lively or Not

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by alias5000
That may be a possibility.
Old 01-20-20, 06:08 AM
Lively or Not

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tamiya
Don't you have "car share" in your town? Downunder we've got several competing car share companies, subscribe ($50-100ish pa) and hire cars by the hour (from about $8/hr, fuel etc included).

Otherwise last sat time I "traditional" rented a car they charged $30/day to reduce access.

The rental firm would have benefit of economies of scale. Which insurance company would you think would bother taking on risk plus doing the paperwork for less than $30?
In a lot of places care share options are possible, but I live in a small town two hours from the nearest city large enough to offer car share services. I take your point about the cost needed to make the risk worth it for the insurance company.
Old 01-20-20, 06:16 AM
Lively or Not

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
This was useful. Thanks!
Old 01-20-20, 03:34 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 485 Posts
Damage waiver from Enterprise is only $11.99-$16.99 per day.
Old 01-20-20, 06:05 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Damage waiver from Enterprise is only $11.99-$16.99 per day.
Damage waiver only covers damage to the rental car and does not cover liability for any damage to other vehicles, property or medical bills. Only good for people driving in locations that do not require liability insurance and who are willing to take a lot of financial risk.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 01-24-20, 03:32 PM
Smitty2k1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Here in DC our pay by the minute car services (Penske Dash, Car2Go, Free2Move, ZipCar) all come with liability insurance as part of the rental.

When I rent a car from the airport, etc. I have to pay the $20ish/day liability insurance to be legal.

I've heard some insurance companies offer "non owner liability" policies that are significantly cheaper than full blow car insurance, but I haven't looked into it too much.
Old 01-24-20, 05:54 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1
Here in DC our pay by the minute car services (Penske Dash, Car2Go, Free2Move, ZipCar) all come with liability insurance as part of the rental.

When I rent a car from the airport, etc. I have to pay the $20ish/day liability insurance to be legal.

I've heard some insurance companies offer "non owner liability" policies that are significantly cheaper than full blow car insurance, but I haven't looked into it too much.
I never rent from airport counters. Using mass transit to get to a suburban location away from the airport kiosk saves HUGE. $70/dy vs. $225/dy is worth the inconvenience IMO.
Old 01-24-20, 09:32 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I never rent from airport counters. Using mass transit to get to a suburban location away from the airport kiosk saves HUGE. $70/dy vs. $225/dy is worth the inconvenience IMO.
Where did you find your car rental comparison of $225/day vs. $70/day?

Duck Duck Go typical return for the query "How much does it cost to rent a car":
Cost of renting a car for a day at the airport terminal
Extract:
The cost to rent a car varies across the country—and even within the same town based—on the type of car chosen and where you rent the car. Below we show you the average cost of renting an economy car from three of the largest car rental companies in the United States: Enterprise, Alamo, and Budget. Each of the categories assumes you book (and pay for) the car rental at least 2 weeks in advance and from the main airport in the city.
Enterprise: Chicago $85; Orlando $52; Los Angeles $100
Alamo: Chicago $76; Orlando $46; Los Angeles $100
Budget: Chicago $59; Orlando $59; Los Angeles $56
Is It Cheaper to Rent a Car at the Airport?
The airport is usually the ideal place to pick up your rental car because you don't have to worry about transportation to the car rental facility. But convenience often comes with a price. Car rental facilities at the airport often have higher daily rental costs as well as airport concession fees and more taxes.

This isn't a blanket statement, though. In some areas, it's cheaper to rent the car at the airport than it is at an offsite facility. If you have the option, check several rental car facilities within the vicinity to see how much you might save by renting offsite.
Old 01-26-20, 01:10 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Liability insurance was a huge hassle when I did not own a car.

You might be able to get a non-owner policy. I had no such luck - they wanted it to still be tied to a vehicle of some kind, such as a company fleet vehicle - but YMMV. Sometimes these policies qualify one for discounts on homeowners/renters insurance, and may work out cheaper than buying the rental company's insurance.

I had an interesting circumstance at one point. I am a registered driver on my company's policy, and hence, work-related rentals include collision and liability insurance. For a few years, one of the employee benefits was that employees could rent vehicles under the policy for personal use, which also included collision and liability insurance (but not the same tax-exempt status). This policy changed through budget cuts, but gave me a few years of very reasonable rentals for personal business.
Old 01-29-20, 06:57 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
I have an annual policy for car hire excess from these guys: https://www.worldwideinsure.com/

I believe they also offer day by day policies too. You’ll need their deluxe package to cover hiring in your home town but it also covers car club membership if that’s useful.

(No connection other than as a satisfied customer.)
Old 01-29-20, 11:00 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Reddleman
I have an annual policy for car hire excess from these guys: https://www.worldwideinsure.com/

I believe they also offer day by day policies too. You’ll need their deluxe package to cover hiring in your home town but it also covers car club membership if that’s useful.

(No connection other than as a satisfied customer.)
This insurance appears to cover only damage to the rental car and does NOT provide any coverage for liability for damage or injury to other people, property or vehicles.
Old 02-01-20, 07:53 AM
Lively or Not

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Liability insurance was a huge hassle when I did not own a car.

You might be able to get a non-owner policy. I had no such luck - they wanted it to still be tied to a vehicle of some kind, such as a company fleet vehicle - but YMMV. Sometimes these policies qualify one for discounts on homeowners/renters insurance, and may work out cheaper than buying the rental company's insurance.

I had an interesting circumstance at one point. I am a registered driver on my company's policy, and hence, work-related rentals include collision and liability insurance. For a few years, one of the employee benefits was that employees could rent vehicles under the policy for personal use, which also included collision and liability insurance (but not the same tax-exempt status). This policy changed through budget cuts, but gave me a few years of very reasonable rentals for personal business.
I looked into non-owner policies, and the folks I've talked with so far indicate that you need to sign up for a six month or one year term, which I could do, but my preference is to buy it when I need it (and try to need it only rarely).

Job-related rental coverage is an interesting idea. I work for a community college, and I may look into that.
Old 02-01-20, 08:04 AM
Lively or Not

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
By way of a general update for those who are curious, here's what I learned talking with the local Enterprise rental agent (only car rental option within 30 miles). The collision damage waiver covers only damage to their vehicle. I can pay for two additional layers of protection: liability for damage to third parties ($1M cap), and medical/property loss for me ($2,500 cap). If I bought all three, the cost per day comes to $46. Daily car rental of an economy car is $40 per day pre-tax.

I've not yet found any local agent offering per diem auto insurance, and non-owner liability coverage so far is limited to only 6 month terms, not per diem. I think I'm going to contact a couple of the big bicycle advocacy orgs in the U.S. and see if they have heard about other options.
Old 02-01-20, 11:12 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Lively or Not
By way of a general update for those who are curious, here's what I learned talking with the local Enterprise rental agent (only car rental option within 30 miles). The collision damage waiver covers only damage to their vehicle. I can pay for two additional layers of protection: liability for damage to third parties ($1M cap), and medical/property loss for me ($2,500 cap). If I bought all three, the cost per day comes to $46. Daily car rental of an economy car is $40 per day pre-tax.

I've not yet found any local agent offering per diem auto insurance, and non-owner liability coverage so far is limited to only 6 month terms, not per diem.
Did you get any rate quotes for a 6 month non-owner policy that would provide liability coverage?
Old 02-01-20, 11:59 AM
Lively or Not

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Did you get any rate quotes for a 6 month non-owner policy that would provide liability coverage?
Not yet. I want to identify all the options before investing time in getting quotes. When I do, though, I'll post it here.
Likes For Lively or Not:
Old 02-01-20, 01:42 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Lively or Not
Not yet. I want to identify all the options before investing time in getting quotes. When I do, though, I'll post it here.
Thanks. I suspect that you will find that for your intended use, "a handful of times each year when doing a task will require a car" the car rental agency's daily rate of $46/day for car insurance will be the better bargain for you.
Old 02-01-20, 04:03 PM
Lively or Not

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Thanks. I suspect that you will find that for your intended use, "a handful of times each year when doing a task will require a car" the car rental agency's daily rate of $46/day for car insurance will be the better bargain for you.
I'm coming around to that conclusion also. Honestly, the thing that irks me is the principle of paying more for insurance than for the rental itself. I understand all the business and economic reasons why it works that way - especially in a small town without all the ride share options found in urban/suburban areas. But it still gets under my skin - just on principle. Ah well; no choice is without consequence.
Old 02-03-20, 11:27 AM
PDXCarless

Bikes: Priority Continuum Onyx, Brompton, Specialized Crossroads

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Two things:

1) Getaround and Turo show up in plenty of small towns, include their own auto-insurance in their prices and don't require you to have your own personal insurance, outside of their service. The prices on both are better than traditional car rentals.

2) If you have to use a traditional car rental, you can save some money by having a credit card that covers you. I have a Chase Southwest Airlines CC that has secondary car insurance. However, if you don't have primary insurance, it moves to the front and covers you as if it was primary. This means, when you rent a car, you can avoid the collision/damage waivers. However, you still need to get the liability coverage.