Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Humber Beeston Clubman 1948 Restoration

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-20, 07:41 AM
PeterLYoung 

Location: Southport, North Carolina, USA & Pevensey, East Sussex, UK

Bikes: 1)1992 Trek 970, 2)2010 Trek 6500, 3)1973 Colnago Super, 4)1955 Freddie Grubb Meteor. 5)1993 Airborne Ti-Hag Titanium. 6)1936 BSA 602DX Roadster. 7)1957 Philips P2 Sports. 8)1955 Dayton Roadmaster. 9)1948 Humber Clubman. 10) 1949 Sunbeam WA3 Wayfarer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 34 Posts

I was given this bike by a gentleman in his eighties who told me he bought it new in 1948. He no longer can ride it and as I restored bikes he offered it to me for free. After taking a look at it I made him take a payment for it, a token payment really but fair as it was going to cost a lot to restore.

The Humber Beeston Clubman is the rarest of the trio of Clubman bikes made by Raleigh, the other two are the Lenton Clubman and the Rudge Aero Clubman.
It had a Sturmey Archer AM Medium Ratio 3 Speed but he said it had failed at some point and the bike shop swopped the innards for an AW Wide Ratio unit.
The bike had been adapted as he got older and the dropped bars changed for Straight Bars and the brakes changed for later Raleigh design as the originals had the fixed length with nipples both ends and the cables were obsolete. Also the rat-trap pedals were replaced with rubber tread ones. The 26” x 1-1/4”. Dunlop Special Lightweight rims were shot having been dented and rusted.

So really I only had a frame, crank set and hubs (SA Casing for rear). From which to restore his bike to original condition.

The frame had been over-sprayed, covering the transfers in a thin film of blue paint. Fortunately there was enough present to photograph and dimension all the transfers to get new ones made. Lloyds made me a new set so I can get the frame refinished and transfers replaced.
The original bars and stem had been long discarded and the stem being the clamp type I had little hope of finding one, luckily and guy in Canada had a correct bars and stem and was happy to sell and ship to UK, fortunately they are in nice condition
The brakes were also tricky as for the Humber Fork Crown they have a special ferrule to fit between the crown plates, I bought several old sets from e-bay and between them I managed to make up a decent correct set. I have also managed to obtain some correct NOS cables.
The 3 Speed trigger on the bike was a mid-fifties type, not correct for 1948 . After much searching I obtained a NOS Model GC2 Trigger which was only made between 1948 & 1949, very rare as NOS.
I found a Sturmey Archer AM 3 Speed hub on e-bay but when I stripped it one of the planet gears and the axle sun gear were stripped, Colwood Wheelworks who happen to be close by supplied the damaged parts so I could rebuild it. In this 3 Speed the planet wheels have to be set using timing marks when re-assembling and this probably was the cause of the damage. I now also have a spare AM 3 Speed hub for spares if needed.
The wheels were 26” x 1-1/4” 40 spoke rear and 32 front. I really wanted to fit the correct Dunlop Special Lightweight rims but these are rare as hens teeth. I attended Bike Jumbles and everyone I spoke to was also wanting them and having no luck. After about a year of looking a front 32 hole stainless one turned up on e-bay and I paid a large sum to get it, it arrived with its original factory wrapping paper still on it.
A few weeks later a rear chrome 40 hole one also NOS showed up and I grabbed that too and that was also still in its original wrapping. At a glance they look identical though stainless has a slightly different colour to the expert eye. The wheels are away being built and I am so pleased to have the correct rims. The chrome parts on the bike do have some corrosion on the visible surfaces but it is not too bad and white vinegar is eliminating the rust, with an oil coating they will be acceptable for re use. All the bearing surfaces are good and will be fine with new balls.
The Bottom Bracket is fine and I also have a NOS replacement set of Cups and Axle if needed.
I found a correct set of rat trap pedals also on e-bay.
Current state of play is the frame has to go to the re-finisher but with the Covid-19 situation I am not able to take it to them. This may change after July 4th when new rules come into play.

Humber Beeston Clubman as obtained.

Pinch bolt type Headset.

Original SA Wheel Wingnuts are all present as also all the mudguard (fender) quick release wing nuts/bolts.

Bike with correct Bars, Stem, Brake Levers & Trigger Shifter fitted.

Bike Stripped and parts treated for re use.

Better view of bike parts showing correct Brakes and Pedals. Saddle has been well treated with Brooks Proofide and I hope to get to good enough condition for re-use.

This is the Sturmey Archer AM Hub, designed for Clubman Bikes. The Planet gears are duplex and need to be timed during re-assembly otherwise they are destroyed when the bike is ridden.

This is the GC2 Trigger Shifter only produced in 1948 & 1949.

This is the GC2 that I obtained NOS.

Humber Beeston Catalogue 1948 Model 325 Literature/Specification.

Old 06-29-20, 08:34 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Peter,

You are doing an absolute thorough smashing job on this restoration! So glad to see that the headbadge made out well from the overspray.

The wire catches you used to hold tension on the brakes is an idea I will employ.

I was lucky the 60 Raleigh Gran Sport I got still had at least one of its airlite hubs and original 27” special lightweight rims. Took me awhile to find the front set up!

Look forward to more reports.

a Rudge model would be my grail find.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 06-29-20, 09:13 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Peter,

You are doing an absolute thorough smashing job on this restoration! So glad to see that the headbadge made out well from the overspray.

The wire catches you used to hold tension on the brakes is an idea I will employ.

I was lucky the 60 Raleigh Gran Sport I got still had at least one of its airlite hubs and original 27” special lightweight rims. Took me awhile to find the front set up!

Look forward to more reports.

a Rudge model would be my grail find.
I have a Rudge Aero Special from 1952, the later 27x1 ¼ change made for 1952. As with this one, livery variants were made for Humber, Rudge, and Raleigh Lenton. All the same spec except for some branding identity features, all made in the Lenton plant.

I've been thinking about hot-rodding it, but I think the first re-assembly will be as original. The paint and livery is fantastic on mine.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 06-29-20, 09:20 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Drive side goodness

1952 Rudge, I popped on a S-A saddle to test the fit

The Hand of Ulster! Anybody know the Irish connection?

Real live Reynolds!

Pictures of the Aero Special with 27" wheels - younger sibling to the Humber.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 06-30-20, 05:04 AM
PeterLYoung 

Bikes: 1)1992 Trek 970, 2)2010 Trek 6500, 3)1973 Colnago Super, 4)1955 Freddie Grubb Meteor. 5)1993 Airborne Ti-Hag Titanium. 6)1936 BSA 602DX Roadster. 7)1957 Philips P2 Sports. 8)1955 Dayton Roadmaster. 9)1948 Humber Clubman. 10) 1949 Sunbeam WA3 Wayfarer

Originally Posted by Road Fan

Drive side goodness

1952 Rudge, I popped on a S-A saddle to test the fit

The Hand of Ulster! Anybody know the Irish connection?

Real live Reynolds!

Pictures of the Aero Special with 27" wheels - younger sibling to the Humber.
Yes your Rudge is the later version and your paintwork is in much better condition. Looks totally restorable with those transfers in such good condition, must have been well stored/looked after. Wish you well in bringing it back to life. presumably it has the Sturmey Archer AM 3 Speed with Alloy Shell.

Likes For PeterLYoung:
Old 06-30-20, 05:25 AM
PeterLYoung 

3speedslow: Thank you for your comments, I cleaned the head badge using cellulose thinners in a damp rag sparingly. The wire catches were not my idea but a very useful one.
The 27" Dunlop Special Lightweights are easier to find than the 26" which went out of fashion once 27" introduced, and Airlites do turn up on eBay from time to time. I alway think nice wheels really do set a bike off especially with stainless double butted spokes.
Best regards.

Old 06-30-20, 05:48 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
These late 40s/early 50s club racers are on my list. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Likes For Narhay:
Old 06-30-20, 06:23 AM
Road Fan

No, it has the AM with the steel shell. One of my hot rodding options is to try my FM with alloy. I have one but I need to consult with BikeSmithsDesign.
Old 06-30-20, 06:41 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
The hand of Ulster is strange. It's not red but has a red background.
The designer must have been aware of it's modern significance.
It's a tricky symbol because it depends who is displaying it what it means.
I could not own that bicycle no matter how nice it was. And some people would destroy it while others would ride it with pride.
Old 06-30-20, 09:41 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
The hand of Ulster is strange. It's not red but has a red background.
The designer must have been aware of it's modern significance.
It's a tricky symbol because it depends who is displaying it what it means.
I could not own that bicycle no matter how nice it was. And some people would destroy it while others would ride it with pride.
Your post sent me into an internet rabbit-hole about the meaning of the red hand, and who claims the symbol. I am no wiser than before I began.
Old 06-30-20, 01:01 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
Your post sent me into an internet rabbit-hole about the meaning of the red hand, and who claims the symbol. I am no wiser than before I began.
Its an old symbol and I would imagine it was used as a battle standard. And still is. If I came across that symbol openly displayed I would be on my guard.
It can be part of another flag but it is when it is displayed on its own that it becomes potent.
It doesn't offend in anyway it just makes me cautious.If the o.p hadn't mentioned it I probably wouldn't have noticed it because in this case it is clearly not threatening.
Old 06-30-20, 03:22 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
Its an old symbol and I would imagine it was used as a battle standard. And still is. If I came across that symbol openly displayed I would be on my guard.
It can be part of another flag but it is when it is displayed on its own that it becomes potent.
It doesn't offend in anyway it just makes me cautious.If the o.p hadn't mentioned it I probably wouldn't have noticed it because in this case it is clearly not threatening.
We have one of those symbols here. It is still causing much distress.
Old 06-30-20, 04:45 PM
threespeedmafia
2 wheeled enthusiast

Bikes: More than a few but less than a gross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Love these Lenton club bikes. Thank you for the great photos.
Old 06-30-20, 04:49 PM
3speedslow

Back on track. Keep up the great work Peter!
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 06-30-20, 06:48 PM
JJScaliger

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 58 Posts
Do both those bikes have Williams cranksets?
Old 07-01-20, 01:49 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,640 Times in 2,602 Posts
Very nice! I have a '49 Raleigh Clubman, all original except for bars and stem. Though it has alloy EA1 rims, it's still a fairly heavy beast.

IMAGE_525.jpg
Old 07-01-20, 05:23 PM
3speedslow

Always enjoy seeing your bike. nlerner
Old 09-14-20, 02:53 AM
PeterLYoung 

Originally Posted by PeterLYoung
I was given this bike by a gentleman in his eighties who told me he bought it new in 1948. He no longer can ride it and as I restored bikes he offered it to me for free. After taking a look at it I made him take a payment for it, a token payment really but fair as it was going to cost a lot to restore.

The Humber Beeston Clubman is the rarest of the trio of Clubman bikes made by Raleigh, the other two are the Lenton Clubman and the Rudge Aero Clubman.
It had a Sturmey Archer AM Medium Ratio 3 Speed but he said it had failed at some point and the bike shop swopped the innards for an AW Wide Ratio unit.
The bike had been adapted as he got older and the dropped bars changed for Straight Bars and the brakes changed for later Raleigh design as the originals had the fixed length with nipples both ends and the cables were obsolete. Also the rat-trap pedals were replaced with rubber tread ones. The 26” x 1-1/4”. Dunlop Special Lightweight rims were shot having been dented and rusted.

So really I only had a frame, crank set and hubs (SA Casing for rear). From which to restore his bike to original condition.

The frame had been over-sprayed, covering the transfers in a thin film of blue paint. Fortunately there was enough present to photograph and dimension all the transfers to get new ones made. Lloyds made me a new set so I can get the frame refinished and transfers replaced.
The original bars and stem had been long discarded and the stem being the clamp type I had little hope of finding one, luckily and guy in Canada had a correct bars and stem and was happy to sell and ship to UK, fortunately they are in nice condition
The brakes were also tricky as for the Humber Fork Crown they have a special ferrule to fit between the crown plates, I bought several old sets from e-bay and between them I managed to make up a decent correct set. I have also managed to obtain some correct NOS cables.
The 3 Speed trigger on the bike was a mid-fifties type, not correct for 1948 . After much searching I obtained a NOS Model GC2 Trigger which was only made between 1948 & 1949, very rare as NOS.
I found a Sturmey Archer AM 3 Speed hub on e-bay but when I stripped it one of the planet gears and the axle sun gear were stripped, Colwood Wheelworks who happen to be close by supplied the damaged parts so I could rebuild it. In this 3 Speed the planet wheels have to be set using timing marks when re-assembling and this probably was the cause of the damage. I now also have a spare AM 3 Speed hub for spares if needed.
The wheels were 26” x 1-1/4” 40 spoke rear and 32 front. I really wanted to fit the correct Dunlop Special Lightweight rims but these are rare as hens teeth. I attended Bike Jumbles and everyone I spoke to was also wanting them and having no luck. After about a year of looking a front 32 hole stainless one turned up on e-bay and I paid a large sum to get it, it arrived with its original factory wrapping paper still on it.
A few weeks later a rear chrome 40 hole one also NOS showed up and I grabbed that too and that was also still in its original wrapping. At a glance they look identical though stainless has a slightly different colour to the expert eye. The wheels are away being built and I am so pleased to have the correct rims. The chrome parts on the bike do have some corrosion on the visible surfaces but it is not too bad and white vinegar is eliminating the rust, with an oil coating they will be acceptable for re use. All the bearing surfaces are good and will be fine with new balls.
The Bottom Bracket is fine and I also have a NOS replacement set of Cups and Axle if needed.
I found a correct set of rat trap pedals also on e-bay.
Current state of play is the frame has to go to the re-finisher but with the Covid-19 situation I am not able to take it to them. This may change after July 4th when new rules come into play.

Humber Beeston Clubman as obtained.

Pinch bolt type Headset.

Original SA Wheel Wingnuts are all present as also all the mudguard (fender) quick release wing nuts/bolts.

Bike with correct Bars, Stem, Brake Levers & Trigger Shifter fitted.
: UPDATE: I have sent the frame to Bob Jackson for re enamelling with a set of transfers to be fixed and clear coated, awaiting its return.
At the same time I managed to acquire a pair of Dunlop Lightweight 26" X 1 1/4" Rims NOS and still in factory wrapping, the front rim is the stainless version and the rear is chromed version, would have been nice to find both in either chrome or stainless but these rims are as rare as hens teeth in this condition and unfortunately the originals had too much wear and damage to be re used. The wheels have been rebuilt with Stainless double butted spokes and the 3 Speed rebuilt back to an AM (it had an AW fitted into the original shell due to a failure many years back). I also was informed by my local bike shop that Schwalbe have now ceased manufacturing 26' x 1 1/4" tyres and I do not know of anyone else making them, looking online there seem to be very few to be had so getting replacement tyres in the future for these wheels is likely to be difficult.

I will post an update when the frame arrives back from Bob Jackson, apparently they are so busy they are refusing new orders for frame refurbishments at present. I guess during UK lockdown everyone has been digging out their frames for refinishing!!!

Here the restored wheels photos:-

Rear Wheel with Chromed Dunlop Lightweight rim + rebuilt AM 3 Speed hub with all new bearings. Fitted new Schwalbe 26" X 1 1/4" tyre.

Front Wheel with Stainless Dunlop Lightweight rim, hub overhauled with new bearings. Fitted new Schwalbe 26" X 1 1/4" tyre.

Last edited by PeterLYoung; 09-14-20 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Corrections
Likes For PeterLYoung:
Old 09-17-20, 09:50 AM
PeterLYoung 

Originally Posted by PeterLYoung
: UPDATE: I have sent the frame to Bob Jackson for re enamelling with a set of transfers to be fixed and clear coated, awaiting its return.
At the same time I managed to acquire a pair of Dunlop Lightweight 26" X 1 1/4" Rims NOS and still in factory wrapping, the front rim is the stainless version and the rear is chromed version, would have been nice to find both in either chrome or stainless but these rims are as rare as hens teeth in this condition and unfortunately the originals had too much wear and damage to be re used. The wheels have been rebuilt with Stainless double butted spokes and the 3 Speed rebuilt back to an AM (it had an AW fitted into the original shell due to a failure many years back). I also was informed by my local bike shop that Schwalbe have now ceased manufacturing 26' x 1 1/4" tyres and I do not know of anyone else making them, looking online there seem to be very few to be had so getting replacement tyres in the future for these wheels is likely to be difficult.

I will post an update when the frame arrives back from Bob Jackson, apparently they are so busy they are refusing new orders for frame refurbishments at present. I guess during UK lockdown everyone has been digging out their frames for refinishing!!!
: Frame came back today from Bob Jackson, It is looking good and I have refitted Headset, Head Badge, Bottom Bracket, Saddle and Wheels. A lot more work to do but it is exciting seeing it go back together, here are some Photos:-

Preliminary Assembly.

View showing Seat Tube Transfer.

View showing Down Tube Transfer.

Handlebars with Pinchbolt Stem & Clamp. Bars are Female Version, I do Have Male Version, will decide which looks best later.

Head Badge.

Frame Number remains visible

Bottom Bracket re assembled and Bob Jackson Sticker.

Likes For PeterLYoung:
Old 09-17-20, 10:42 AM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 351 Posts
That is beautiful paint and transfer work! This is really turning out to be something special. I’d love to see a pic of the male bars.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 09-17-20, 01:57 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
I really like the under-the-brake-lever location for the 3-speed trigger -- that is how I mounted mine. Since mine was a 12-speed hybrid with a 14-16-18-20 Cyclo cog block and a Campag. Gran Sport derailleur, I put the S-A trigger under the left brake lever, so that I could execute double shifts with the right side downtube derailleur shift lever. Great system, easy to use, 10 unique ratios out of 12, with overlaps only at the edges of the three ranges.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 09-17-20, 04:02 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Wow! what a transformation! That's a great color, too -- do you have a spec for it? Looks like the really bright metallic blue I've seen on a couple Minis and Beemers. Meaning, it's probably expensive.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 09-17-20, 04:26 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Wow! what a transformation! That's a great color, too -- do you have a spec for it? Looks like the really bright metallic blue I've seen on a couple Minis and Beemers. Meaning, it's probably expensive.
Since it was done by Bob Jackson, it must be from their inventory of paint choices. There's a full page with all the pricing, etc... Peter will have to tell you which color was chosen exactly. Based on the swatches I would guess the metallic "Celeste Cosmos," but I've heard the actual colors can vary quite a bit from how they look on screen... So that's a caveat!

Frame Resprays | Bob Jackson Cycles
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 09-17-20, 04:37 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Fantastic! Looks great!
Likes For BFisher:
Old 09-20-20, 10:28 AM
PeterLYoung 

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Bob Jackson did not have this colour in their range but offered to obtain the paint if I obtained the RAL Number.
It is Blue Metallic RAL 660 - M from the RAL E4 Effect range the 0.5Litre can cost £39.60, more than enough as they sent me the remaining paint in case I needed touch up. It is a great colour and almost perfect match for the original Raleigh Metallic Blue the frame was originally finished in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.