Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Old 01-06-19, 11:03 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
I skated to work today. Weather FINALLY cleared up.

Old 01-08-19, 03:22 PM
Trotsky

Bikes: My mountain bike after 22 years is retired, and I am now using a touring bike, and I still have my folding bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Usual places.

I rode to the gym, then when finished I rode back. Late morning I walked to the St Ann garrison Barbados and walked around the outside of the horse track for about 9 km. The garrison is nice because there is less traffic and nice shaded areas. I do this walk a couple times a week. Other walks are to Oistins or Dover, both are along the sea.
Old 01-09-19, 12:32 PM
Trotsky

Bikes: My mountain bike after 22 years is retired, and I am now using a touring bike, and I still have my folding bike.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Easy ride today.

I ride to the gym every day except Saturdays and Sundays, which are long rides far and wide around the island. After the gym, shower and something to eat, I rode to two supermarkets as Wednesdays are food shopping days. I ride to Kendall hill to shop at Popular Discounters, as they have the best prices. Then back to Massy, as they have Waitrose goods, which are a reasonably priced store brand. A little over 10 km. Kendall hill looks like a sliding board from the bottom as it has the same shape and slope. It's a good workout getting to the top. Coming down, I get over 50 kmh.
Old 01-09-19, 10:02 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Time for a little home improvement!

Yesterday, I went to the home improvement store to pick up a new kitchen faucet. It fit (barely) in my messenger bag...along with a giant dog bone I picked up to keep the pup busy while I worked.

That project went so well that I went again today (with the bike trailer) and got a new vanity top and bathroom faucet. Sadly, the parts are not all playing nice together, so I'll have to go back tomorrow and pick up a few more things to finish the project.

We finally have what I consider nice winter weather: cold (highs in the teens, Fahrenheit), dry, and sunny! Before it was hovering around freezing and just kind of blah. I'll take the sunshine any day.
Old 03-14-19, 02:17 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Walking To Date
2019 - 213.91 km
2018 - 328.5 km
2017 - 312.75 km
2016 - 195.05 km
2015 - 181.36 km

Starting to pick up the pace a bit with the walking ... back at uni!

BTW 213.91 km is about 280,721.78 steps. Not too bad for someone who has a back & hip injury ... and who had the flu recently.
Kilometers to Steps | Kyle's Converter
Old 03-15-19, 10:33 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

I actually went for a walk! I've missed walking.

It was sunny and warm (40F), and perhaps the first day since early to mid January that the sidewalks were mostly clear of ice. It's been a long couple months of cold weather, ice, snow, and trying to dodge cars while clunking around on studded tires.

The sunny, warm weather got me motivated to start doing my annual project of modifying my road bike. So I went to the bike shop and had them shift around the crown race on my forks, talked about bikes, and picked up some shifter cables. Then I stopped at the store and picked up a few food items.
Old 03-17-19, 04:52 PM
dingster1

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Walked the High Bridge in Farmville Va.
Old 03-30-19, 11:36 AM
nuxx 

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac SL6, Custom Carbon Flatbar, Giant XTC Composite 29er, Trek FX 7.6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
I live in Copenhagen... so a little "unfair" as we basically go everywhere on bike and have dedicated bike paths all across the city.
Old 03-31-19, 07:59 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Saturday's ride was an interesting one. I decided that I wanted to do a short recreational ride (up a hill and back) but also needed to do "big" grocery shopping. Solution? Bike to store, leave trailer locked up, take a ride, come back, and collect groceries and trailer. This also solved the problem of carrying a bag while climbing hills...my wallet, etc. fit in a jersey pocket, and it's really just the groceries that need to be hauled somehow.

I ended up with a solid 23.5 miles of riding - 4.6 with the trailer, and the rest just for fun.

Trailer...

No trailer!
Old 05-13-19, 08:14 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Walking To Date

2019 - 382.3 km
2018 - 540.8 km
2017 - 491.8 km
2016 - 388.5 km
2015 - 367.2 km

And yesterday, for example, I walked 7.6 km.

Home to bus
Bus to uni
Uni to work
Work to physio
Physio to work
Bus to home

It all adds up!
Old 05-15-19, 11:11 PM
Pobble.808
alleged person

Bikes: 1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Among other rides today, I went a measly two miles, some of it in a dedicated bike lane, to the Hawaii State Library to snag a copy of Eric Newby's "Round Ireland in Low Gear":

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...nd_in_Low_Gear

On the way back I stumbled across a farmer's market where I scored a colossal bunch of locally grown organic rainbow chard for $3, which qualifies as a near-steal in Honolulu
Old 05-25-19, 02:18 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Fresh from the wipekitty carries weird things files: Balloons!

My stepdaughter graduated high school yesterday, and I wanted to pick up a few things: posterboard, photos, and helium balloons. The closest place to get helium filled balloons is 4.5 miles away. I tied them to the front of my messenger bag, where they did remarkably well...so long as I was moving forward. I got quite a few strange looks on the ride home.

Incidentally, this is not the first time I've biked with helium balloons.
Old 05-26-19, 07:33 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I'm just surprised you didn't have people stalking you to the ice cream parlor.
Old 11-03-19, 09:35 AM
blackbomber

Bikes: 1932 Simmons Banner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Fresh from the wipekitty carries weird things files: Balloons!

My stepdaughter graduated high school yesterday, and I wanted to pick up a few things: posterboard, photos, and helium balloons. The closest place to get helium filled balloons is 4.5 miles away. I tied them to the front of my messenger bag, where they did remarkably well...so long as I was moving forward. I got quite a few strange looks on the ride home.

Incidentally, this is not the first time I've biked with helium balloons.
Wife and I waked to grocer to get cake for sons bday. Ended up bringing home a few items including a few helium balloons. It was quite windy, so I can appreciate the challenge.
Likes For blackbomber:
Old 12-08-19, 08:21 PM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I live along the stretch of subway stops that were closed this weekend for construction so I walked to the pet supple store to buy cat food. Bonus, I found a hand made cat toy for the Spoiled Ones. It’s not a far walk and it’s on a busy street so there is always lots to look at while walking to the pet supply store. I saw a bakery I haven’t noticed before and they have some nice looking cakes and I will get one for Christmas Eve dinner.
Old 12-30-19, 01:21 AM
LorenMiranda

Bikes: 1995 Schwinn ClearCreek

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
To work and.back. Fast food, not far... A mile one way. But have been car free for so long and bicycle dependent that I no longer consider other modes. When I do inevitably ride a city bus or in someone else's car I personally feel, well off. Just me. I've tried to understand this... I think it's just that I love biking so much. Always have.
Old 12-30-19, 01:01 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
A few miles, to the library, for a park pass
Old 08-21-21, 02:35 PM
Zedoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 88 Posts
Years ago I saw news of the Dequindre Cut, a new bike path in southeast Detroit. It was not a route to anywhere I went, so I forgot until yesterday when I started planning a trip to Belle Isle. The Cut is on a slightly longer route to Belle Isle. I rode a bus to it, biked the whole length of the Cut both ways, a little bit along the Detroit River, and E. Grand Blvd. to the Belle Isle bridge. The bus was hotter than riding, so going home I rode a city bus to the Detroit limits and enjoyed breeze for the remaining miles instead of waiting for a connecting bus. Total biked, 19 miles. My 20 ounce pop bottle filled with water was not quite enough for the summer heat. Now I have a few options for how to get to Belle Isle.
Old 08-22-21, 07:38 PM
Pathfinder2436

Bikes: Dawes Galaxy [in bits]. New Surly Big Dummy.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Llanelli South Wales to Carlisle Northern England

On the 1st August 2021 I rode my Surly BD north along the 483 to North Wales. From there I turned east towards Liverpool then straight up the A6 to Carlisle. It was all for charity. I found the western edge of Hadrian's Wall and a small plaque cemented into a wall. I found the bike extremely heavy at 70 and due to four days of continual downpours, I decided to return to Llanelli by Coach. I'm changing my bike and returning north to complete the Wall. I'll be dropped off at Ravenglass. From there I'll cycle back to Carlisle. Then I'll turn east following the remnants of Hadrian's Wall until I reach Wallsend the other side of England. I'll then ride my bike south west all the way back to Llanelli. It was a great ride bar for the change in weather.
Old 08-28-21, 04:14 PM
Zedoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Belle Isle

I saw mostly paved bike lanes and roads, but I eventually found one of the secluded gravelly trails. Next time I could take a map of the island. On the return trip I rode Van Dy.ke Ave to look for lunch options. I had a fried egg and iced tea at some place. 16 miles on a 90 degree day, which is hot for this summer in Detroit. I had two water bottles.
Old 09-11-21, 07:49 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
We did one of our 5K walks today as it was going to be 97 F by early afternoon to HOT to be out on the recumbent bike! We are lucky we have several trails and Greenways very close by!

Old 10-31-21, 02:10 PM
Zedoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For a Costco trip to buy a rotisserie chicken and other food I chose the bike with the bigger basket, which is narrower at the bottom. The container tipped over and coated the basket with a layer of chicken grease. It will need cleaning before I bring it inside. I may let rain do the work.
Old 11-13-21, 12:40 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
29 Miles on the NCR Thursday. Did 24 Miles a couple weeks ago and my knee bothered me for a day. Got to carried away.
Old 11-15-21, 02:52 PM
ottovaughn

Bikes: 1983 Nishiki Continental; 2016 Giant Roam 3

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I biked 10km to work through the monsoon rain / flooding that we're experiencing in British Columbia today. Nearly got blown off my bike by the wind but it was worth it to see the looks on my co-workers faces when I rolled up to the office.
Old 11-23-21, 09:17 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Well we walked to the new Roadhouse Cinemas here in Colorado Springs to meet up with friends and see the new Ghostbusters Afterlife movie and have lunch! We can only afford 1 splurge a month and Tuesday is $5 for Seniors day there! Them walked to the drugstore for the wife's medications and back to the apartment. 5K walk great flick and good lunch! 🚶🥗🍕😁👍

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.