Old 01-17-11, 12:43 PM
apacherider
Borracho For Life

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by custermustache

I don't know what someone form Taos, NM knows about Dallas traffic.
I live in each place 6 months out of the year and keep a place in both towns.

Since you're the expert, tell us how one gets across I-35, 635, Bush Turnpike or the Trinity River with ease. Frankly, if you know much about Dallas, getting across any of those freeways on a bike is very difficult.
Old 01-17-11, 01:00 PM
monogodo
NFL Owner

Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by apacherider
...tell us how one gets across I-35, 635, Bush Turnpike or the Trinity River with ease....
LBJ/GHWB: DART Red Line or Green Line if North/South, DART Blue Line if East/West other directions will depend on where exactly you're riding from/to.
I-35/Trinity - Depends on where you want to cross. Most surface streets that cross it should have enough lanes that the right lane is safe, or they have a sidewalk to use. I've always just taken the lane and have had no problem.
Old 01-17-11, 04:05 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
When I ride to White Rock Lake, I cross 635 at Oates or La Prada, no problem.
Old 01-17-11, 10:12 PM
apacherider
Borracho For Life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by monogodo
LBJ/GHWB: DART Red Line or Green Line if North/South, DART Blue Line if East/West other directions will depend on where exactly you're riding from/to.
I thought we were talking about riding bikes, not trains!

Thread is about Dallas sucking for riding bikes, not Dallas being nice for riding trains.
Old 01-17-11, 10:29 PM
monogodo
NFL Owner

I thought we were talking about commuting by bike. Sorry.

When I lived in North Dallas & Richardson, I'd ride down Abrams or Skillman/Audelia to the White Rock Trail to get to the lake. That involved crossing LBJ at Skillman/Audelia or Abrams. Never once had a problem with it.

What is it about riding in Dallas that has you scared s#!+less to ride here?
Old 01-18-11, 04:17 PM
custermustache

Bikes: 1968 Falcon San Remo 1973 Raleigh International, 1974 Schwinn Suburban, 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1992 Univega Ultraleggera, 2007 Dahon Vitesse DH7G

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you're the expert, tell us how one gets across I-35, 635, Bush Turnpike or the Trinity River with ease. Frankly, if you know much about Dallas, getting across any of those freeways on a bike is very difficult.
I can only tell you how I cross where I cross. I don't need to cross every major highway in my commute, and I'm sure that no one does. That being said, there is a bike trail that runs under the 75/635 interchange that I use to cross 635.

I cross Bush Turnpike at Plano road, riding with traffic. I also cross GWB at Alma or Custer, depending where I am headed.

635 and GWB are easy crosses. In fact, Richardson is building a protected crossing under 75.

I have no need to cross 35, but if you tell me where you are headed from and to I could find a smaller street, I'm sure. The Trinity likewise. There are plenty of smaller streets that cross both.

Dallas absolutely doesn't suck for riding bikes. It sounds like you are scared, and that sucks for you, but there are plenty of us who ride all over and have no problems. Sure, it' s not some hippie village like Taos, but it is a great place to live AND ride. Given a choice between the two, I'd choose Dallas all day long.
Old 01-18-11, 06:10 PM
monogodo
NFL Owner

When my brother lived in Dallas, he would ride from our apartment at Audelia & Forest to work in Arlington at Collins & I-30. From what I remember, his route involved riding down to Mockingbird Lane (not sure which route he used, but looking at the map he probably took Audelia to Ferndale, which becomes White Rock Trail. Then down WRT to Goforth around to Lawther. He'd cross NW HWY via Lawther and over to Mockingbird), then heading west over to Industrial/Irving Blvd. He'd then ride all the way to Arlington. Heading home was the reverse.

Last night 5 of us crossed 75 at Knox/Henderson with no issues.
Old 01-19-11, 09:16 PM
bergerandfries
That gives him a hobby

Bikes: 1992 Raliegh Heat and 2008 Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apacherider
Tell us how one gets across I-35, 635, Bush Turnpike or the Trinity River with ease. Frankly, if you know much about Dallas, getting across any of those freeways on a bike is very difficult.
I agree that it is harder than other communities that have it all marked out, and Dallas does not have that yet. However, Councilpersons Angela Hunt and Sheffie Kadane are sponsoring a grassroots effort to change that. If you vote here in Dallas, make sure that you let your councilperson for your district know that you want them to support the 2011 Dallas Bike Plan.

Now, for I-35, I personally like Crown Road because it's on my route. For 635, Rosser is a peach; Welch isn't as good but still reasonable. Bush Turnpike I have two crossings that I like: Alma and Lookout Drive. Trinitiy River I don't cross, so no help from me. US75 I like McCommas, although the light is SHORT. SMU Blvd is good too.

It sounds like you are frustrated with commuting by bicycle here; you aren't the only one. Last time I checked, I wasn't exactly elbowing my way past other cyclists on my way to work... If you don't like it; vote, write a pleasant letter to your councilperson, get involved. Living in Oak Cliff won't hurt you in that regard.
Old 01-20-11, 01:11 AM
richkarr

Bikes: Karate Monkey, Trucker Deluxe, Brompton, Pugsley, Trek Transport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Rowlett and commute to TI at 635 and 75 which is 16 miles via the route I take. However, I don't always bike the full 16 miles each day. As was mentioned earlier, virtually all the DART buses have front bike racks for 2 bikes. And, the trains allow bikes at all times. So, I purchase a yearly Dart pass and more often than not, bike from Rowlett to Downtown Garland, then bus from Downtown Garland to within a mile of work, and bike the remainder to work. This gives me a chance to read the paper and still ride the bike at least 8 miles one way.

Sometimes, to mix it up, I'll take the bike on the train from Downtown Garland to within a 1/2 mile from work, and then bike the remainder to work. However, do to the need to switch trains at the Mockingbird station, the train ends-up ~15 minutes slower than the bus.

If I'm running a bit late, I'll throw the bike in the back of the El Camino and drive to the Downtown Garland transit station, and then bike, bus, or train the rest of the way to work depending on my tardiness. Normally, on these days I'll bike back to the El Camino.

The important info is that the DART pass opens-up all types of options for commuting with the bike. Plus, enables a lot more errand capability at lunch or after work. This to me makes Dallas and the suburbs in the DART system bike commuter friendly. As for MUPs and/or Bike Lanes, these tend to follow a North/South direction in Dallas. Since my commute is East/West, I don't have any MUP or bike lane on the entire 16 mile commute. I don't feel hassled while riding on the main roads or side streets. The down side are the construction zones with no consideration for bikes (or pedestrians for that matter).
Old 01-20-11, 07:33 AM
monogodo
NFL Owner

Originally Posted by richkarr
As for MUPs and/or Bike Lanes, these tend to follow a North/South direction in Dallas. Since my commute is East/West, I don't have any MUP or bike lane on the entire 16 mile commute.
Santa Fe Trail is generally East/West, but much farther South of where you're coming from/going to. It's a great way to get from Downtown/Deep Ellum to WRL.
Old 02-03-11, 05:58 PM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cudaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 02-03-11, 06:00 PM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by monogodo
When my brother lived in Dallas, he would ride from our apartment at Audelia & Forest to work in Arlington at Collins & I-30. From what I remember, his route involved riding down to Mockingbird Lane (not sure which route he used, but looking at the map he probably took Audelia to Ferndale, which becomes White Rock Trail. Then down WRT to Goforth around to Lawther. He'd cross NW HWY via Lawther and over to Mockingbird), then heading west over to Industrial/Irving Blvd. He'd then ride all the way to Arlington. Heading home was the reverse.

Last night 5 of us crossed 75 at Knox/Henderson with no issues.

Lol, I think you have to be pretty brave to ride in Arlington. That town seems like it's a mixture of Nazi overzealotrous cops who will ticket you for farting left, ghetto, fast drivers trying to escape nazi cops and Massive construction. I give you props if you can ride it. :-p