Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Google Maps Is Not Necessarily Your Friend

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Google Maps Is Not Necessarily Your Friend

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-23, 01:17 PM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
You should top embarrassing yourself.
There is absolutely no valid scenario to drive off a broken bridge unless said bridge falls off right from under you. I have driven through snow storms and fog so thick you barely can see the side of the road. You basically slow down until you make sure that you are going at a speed where you stopping power exceeds your visibility. More than once I had to stop driving because it was not safe to drive.

Heck to bring it home; a small consolation is that he ran off a bridge instead of plowing through a group of cyclist because Google told him to do so.
Old 09-23-23, 01:32 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Google maps will take you through a creek crossing near my house lol
Old 09-24-23, 07:42 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Was he looking at his phone? I haven't read any report that he was looking at his phone and not looking at the road.
Lemme know where you read he was looking at his phone.
Hey, aren't you supposed to be outside holding a sign protesting against the Summit pipeline? Why are you on Bike Forums?
Old 09-24-23, 07:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Hey, aren't you supposed to be outside holding a sign protesting against the Summit pipeline? Why are you on Bike Forums?
Try responding to my post.

I'll show you how to do it by responding to your bad comment.
No, I am not supposed to be protesting a pipeline.

See how easy it is to respond?
Old 09-24-23, 08:08 AM
Yan 

Try responding to my post.

I'll show you how to do it by responding to your bad comment.
No, I am not supposed to be protesting a pipeline.

See how easy it is to respond?
=>

lmao
Old 09-24-23, 08:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
lmao
So you are laughing at me and calling me old and rambling? For what?...saying you should actually respond to a question instead of avoiding it?

Oh, you edited it. Try your words instead of pictures.
Old 09-24-23, 08:17 AM
Yan 

So you are laughing at me?
Yes. Been doing it for ages and ages. Remember?
Old 09-24-23, 08:21 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Everyone. Post on topic, or don't post.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 09-24-23, 08:24 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Everyone. Post on topic, or don't post.
What I had originally hoped for was people telling about serious Google Map errors.
At this juncture, I wouldn't be upset if the thread were locked.
Old 09-24-23, 09:05 PM
tpuglisi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the internet
Old 09-24-23, 09:19 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
What I had originally hoped for was people telling about serious Google Map errors.
We'll give a bit more time for on topic posts.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-24-23, 10:48 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
this is now out of date, but 'bout ten years ago planning a trip thru laos, included this route from salavan to phin on highway 23. this is a north-south route halfway betwixt the thai and vietnam borders that avoids the boring highway alongside the mekong river. only 136km, and can find lodging and vittles in both towns. no street view in laos, so trust the googles.........

here's the reality

okay, just a minor bridge blowed up during the vietnam war. but what about the highway?

the googles is now correct, mostly. chinese engineers have since come in and rebuilt bridges at both ends and put in a lovely paved all-weather highway.

the current directions includes "this route includes a ferry." there was no ferry ten years ago, unless you count a local in a canoe that might ferry you across. i believe both bridges are now complete.

nice chinesers even helped clean up a bunch of our leftovers...... (photos are laos UXO disposal)

Last edited by saddlesores; 09-24-23 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-25-23, 02:43 AM
abdon 

I take it nobody here is old enough to remember how unreliable most paper maps could be?
Likes For abdon:
Old 09-25-23, 03:49 AM
saddlesores

Originally Posted by abdon
I take it nobody here is old enough to remember how unreliable most paper maps could be?
i 'member.

here's the current google map of the laos section above. the road in question at the time was a dirt trail with multiple downed bridges. at the time, google showed it as a major highway, as it does presently.

here's the paper map of the same area i used in the pre-digital age.

back then there was no cellphone service. i believe the chinese have built a network of cellphone towers and installed 5G huawei gear.
Old 09-25-23, 10:08 AM
abdon 

From the paper maps era I remember plenty of roads closed, road construction, whole new roads were none where before, and a host of other issues that makes Google maps far more accurate. I just keep hearing a lot of bemoaning over the fact that it is not omnipresent level of perfect.

As both paper maps and Google can lead you astray I guess just disregard both and just ask people as you throttle along. Except that I also have some nasty experiences in that regard, like the idiot whose definition of "two miles" was "a long way down the road". It was close to 14 miles...
Likes For abdon:
Old 09-25-23, 10:26 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
..and a host of other issues that makes Google maps far more accurate. I just keep hearing a lot of bemoaning over the fact that it is not omnipresent level of perfect.
Yep..and I don't think it's been mentioned yet, though quite apparent..it's available 24/7/365, universally available on nearly any platform..and free. Not small points.
Old 09-25-23, 07:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts

As both paper maps and Google can lead you astray I guess just disregard both and just ask people as you throttle along. Except that I also have some nasty experiences in that regard, like the idiot whose definition of "two miles" was "a long way down the road". It was close to 14 miles...
😼 The third day of my cross country trip, our leader screwed up reading the notes and a few of us had to ride from camp to get groceries for the group. It looked to be about 8 miles each way on the map, but the state park ranger swore up and down it was 8 miles round trip. NOT!
Old 09-25-23, 08:24 PM
abdon 

Originally Posted by indyfabz
😼 The third day of my cross country trip, our leader screwed up reading the notes and a few of us had to ride from camp to get groceries for the group. It looked to be about 8 miles each way on the map, but the state park ranger swore up and down it was 8 miles round trip. NOT!
It took years for the two-mile dude incident to finally be funny. I should have paid attention at how much he was stressing it was far as he was saying "two miles!" But I figured he meant on a bike, and not a personal "one mile means close, two miles means far".
Old 09-25-23, 11:02 PM
saddlesores

It took years for the two-mile dude incident to finally be funny. I should have paid attention at how much he was stressing it was far as he was saying "two miles!" But I figured he meant on a bike, and not a personal "one mile means close, two miles means far".
what, you've never heard of a "country mile"?

country mile

A distance that's farther than anticipated. Rural distances seem to be much longer than city folk think, so when a farmer says that the turnoff is “just a mile down the road,” that mile can stretch on interminably.
if a country mile is a long way, then TWO country miles must be halfway to timbiktu.
Old 09-26-23, 12:56 AM
abdon 

Oh, believe you me I learned that lesson. At the time I figured 'oh, two miles, I'll get there in about 8 minutes'. Instead it turned into an almost 2-hour round trip that busted my schedule for the day.
Old 09-27-23, 03:47 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
I'm touring in the rural south when I find myself on a really really crummy gravel road. I ask this old codger, "How long until the road turns back to asphalt ?"
He says, "no more than a couple miles tops", 15 miles later he was correct.
Old 09-27-23, 04:51 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Personally I think folks who complain about how terrible google maps are should consider what it was like before they existed. I remember when all we had was paper maps. They were years out of date by the time they were printed and sat on a shelf for years before we picked them up. You couldn't zoom in. There was no street view. There were no different views or search functions.

I am an old geezer, but I still marvel at how nice it is to have a tool like google maps. Sure you have to use care with it, like any tool, but it is pretty remarkable compared to what was available before.

Last edited by staehpj1; 09-27-23 at 07:09 AM.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 09-27-23, 06:26 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Electronic maps are no better/worse or accurate than paper maps, they're just different means of displaying information to get from one point to another. None are by any means foolproof or to be wholly trusted. That anyone would keep going on a route that would put them in peril amazes me, regardless of how it was suggested, be it a person, a paper map or electronic media of some sort. Any brand of software designed to whatever is all about the software, it doesn't give a rat's behind about the user, nor can it, nor is it meant to. See it for what it is, and what it is not. It's not your buddy, your guide, your higher power, your ally, your foe or your devil. It's a basic in-put out-put device.
Old 09-27-23, 07:59 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Personally I think folks who complain about how terrible google maps are should consider what it was like before they existed.
It's not that there are not many excellent features with Google Maps - it's the degree of dependence.
I suspect that people back in the days of paper maps were much more cautious and observant.
Here in rural Wyoming, the number of people who get stranded because they are out of range is sobering.
Yellowstone N.P. has to post clearly that cell service is lacking in much of the park.
And then folks respond by saying they need to put up more cell towers.

BTW - You are not an old codger - just someone with a long memory.
You know, those paper maps had publication dates, usually on the outside corner.
And AAA - in the heyday of paper maps - used to publish new maps annually.
Nearly all states had county maps available for 10c > 25c per sheet.
You could use the backs to write down addresses and phone numbers and mail them home.
And they were righteously accurate since each county road dept. was responsible.
Not to mention the Square One regional maps of Washington state.

Oh, and you didn't have to worry about how much charge you had left.
Not an issue in New Jersey - more so in Nevada.
Old 09-27-23, 08:32 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
It's not that there are not many excellent features with Google Maps - it's the degree of dependence.
I suspect that people back in the days of paper maps were much more cautious and observant.
Here in rural Wyoming, the number of people who get stranded because they are out of range is sobering.
Yellowstone N.P. has to post clearly that cell service is lacking in much of the park.
And then folks respond by saying they need to put up more cell towers.
All that may be true, but still... I do recall back in the 69s when I was a teen working in a gas station dealing with giving directions to plenty of drivers who had no map skills and sometimes no maps.

BTW - You are not an old codger - just someone with a long memory.
No I am an old codger. I can't kid myself on that.

You know, those paper maps had publication dates, usually on the outside corner.
And AAA - in the heyday of paper maps - used to publish new maps annually.
Nearly all states had county maps available for 10c > 25c per sheet.
I recall gas station maps being what pretty much everyone I knew had. I don't remember ever knowing of any aquaintances being AAA members until relatively recent decades. Must be the cheapskate circles I traveled in. Gas station maps might have been newish or not, but yeah they probably had a date on them.

I didn't start bike touring until electronic maps were a thing so I usually used them if not usung ACA paper maps. In any case I pick up a free paper state map in each state. There were exceptions like the wonderful paper Odot bike map for the oregon coast.

Edit to add that for navigating in the boonies to get to kayaking, canoeing, hiking, MTB, off road motorcycle, backpacking, or other outdoor type destinations I used and loved the DeLorme Gazetteers in the years after I discovered them. I still have a few, but use them less.

Last edited by staehpj1; 09-27-23 at 08:43 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.