Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

White Lightning Clean vs Epic (...trying to avoid the wax film...)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-19, 10:32 AM
Synack42

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts

So I'm probably doing it wrong over here... Last year I picked up some White Lightning Clean Ride (dry, wax based). It works, but my chain and derailleur jockey wheels always get a good amount of caked on white wax (I honestly wiped the outside of the chain with a shop rag after applying too...)

I just picked up some White Lightning Epic Ride on clearance that claims to be silicone vs wax. It definitely appears to separate into a wax/oil mix when sitting around though. Think this stuff would be ironically cleaner looking than Clean Ride?

...Or should I go with something completely different like WD dry or Finish Line dry... I never really ride in the rain and even avoid puddles like the plague. Mainly pavement but I'm definitely looking forward to some crushed limestone and packed dirt trails/roads this year.

Thanks
Old 03-20-19, 12:05 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
good question. my nice bike has a very clean drive train and would like to keep it that way, so prolly wax based of some kind. all the rest of the bikes get any kind of oil laying around, but a pain trying to keep it clean. if all i had was just one bike, well it would be oiled for the longest lasting use, as we have plenty of wet days.
Old 03-20-19, 12:54 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
If you want a continuous clean drive train don't ride it. The black comes from metallic wear inside the chain.