Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1977 Soma Prestige

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1977 Soma Prestige

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-19, 05:37 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts
1977 Soma Prestige

There's a very clean one in my size for sale "too cheap" ( mid double digit range) in the local CL and FB. I read an old thread here on them that mentioned they could handle a little odd but with a little adjusting that could be overcome. Other than my efforts to reduce my fleet is there any reason to avoid it? It was a mid-range bike with "decent" tubing and components and I like the obscure. I don't have a 70's road bike my size under 40 Lbs. and I've been wanting one and I even like the metallic green paint. Reminds me of an old HS friend's Nishiki. I can post a picture later today.
Old 09-11-19, 06:26 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I assume you've read my comments in this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-prestige.html

Assuming the Prestige that you're looking at is circa 1977, the frame should be hi-tensile steel, as opposed to plain gauge CrMo. Consequently, it will be a bit heavier but will be well under 40lbs and should be around 27-28 lbs, depending on size. The earlier versions also had a more conventional geometry. Major components should be SunTour Vx derailleurs with bar end shifters, Sugino Super Maxy crankset, Dia-Compe centre-pull brakes and Sanshin Gyro-Master hubs laced to 27" aluminum Araya 16A rims.

Mid double digit range sounds like a good deal, provided there are no major issues.

Last edited by T-Mar; 09-11-19 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-11-19, 08:11 AM
Murray Missile 

Thanks T-Mar, sent seller a message. Looks really good in the pics but pictures CAN lie.
Old 09-11-19, 12:13 PM
fishboy316

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Cannondale AL1 Lefty MTB, Trek X01, Trek Farley 7,1951 Raleigh Sport, 57&60 Raleigh Tourist, 70 Raleigh Super Course, 80's Soma Prestiege,72 Raleigh Grand Sports, 85 Club Fuji, 76 Raleigh Competition, 85 Panasonic,70's Peugot u08. & more

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
I have one of these. I like it. Handles rather well and is a nice looking bike. Has Suntour vx and it was cheap. Turned mine into the Grocery getter. Will try to get a pic in here later.
Old 09-11-19, 05:17 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I was pondering stealing the Super Maxi crank set off of mine, which is in the attic bone yard. I picked it up for the Suntour Bar ends that came with a free bike. The bike is quirky enough that I haven't pulled any parts from it yet and am still pondering getting it ride able at some point.
Old 09-11-19, 05:23 PM
Murray Missile 

It's a '78 and it sounds like he bought it new but somebody else has an appointment to look at it tomorrow and I can't get there until Saturday. At that price I can't imagine he won't take it but you never know.
Old 09-11-19, 05:40 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

There's one on ebay now.

Soma Prestige

Old 09-11-19, 06:56 PM
Murray Missile 

Here's a picture from the ad, he did buy it new and has the original pedals AND sales brochure. Hopefully it's too big for the guy looking at it tomorrow LOL.

Old 09-12-19, 05:17 AM
bark_eater 

If you get the bike. please scan the brochure. I'd like to know the bikes geometry numbers. I still need to get one of those angle finder jobs.
Old 09-12-19, 04:53 PM
Murray Missile 

It was in fact too big for the first guy, going Saturday morning to look it over and most likely bring it home.
Old 09-13-19, 05:14 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Here's a picture from the ad, he did buy it new and has the original pedals AND sales brochure. Hopefully it's too big for the guy looking at it tomorrow LOL.
Yes, that's the late 1970s version with the hi-tensile frame. You can tell from the the top tube cable stops, as opposed to the cable tunnels. Everything looks OEM with the exception of the pedals and saddle. Before you test ride it, make sure the hubs' quick release skewers are properly fastened, as it looks like the front one is in the 3/4 open position.
Old 09-13-19, 05:32 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Yes, that's the late 1970s version with the hi-tensile frame. You can tell from the the top tube cable stops, as opposed to the cable tunnels. Everything looks OEM with the exception of the pedals and saddle. Before you test ride it, make sure the hubs' quick release skewers are properly fastened, as it looks like the front one is in the 3/4 open position.
I always check quick releases on wheels, brakes and seat posts before getting on someone else's bike but thanks for the heads up. 👍
Old 09-13-19, 05:34 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by bark_eater
If you get the bike. please scan the brochure. I'd like to know the bikes geometry numbers. I still need to get one of those angle finder jobs.
Don't hold your breath. The 1978 catalogue doesn't have any geometry charts. However, it does have a cover photo of an Eddy Merckx look-a-like that is superimposed on another photo, to make it look like he's racing thoroughbred horses. The Soma motto was, "Ride like a thoroughbred". They put Eddy V2.0 in a leather hairnet helmet, Soma cycling shorts and cycling gloves but no cycling jersey - it's a Soma t-shirt!

Pending purchase of a mechanical or electronic angle finder, get out your old protractor. Carefully draw, mark and cut boxboard templates for 70 through 75 degrees and 105 though 110 degrees. You'll have to notch the apex end to fix over the lugs. Using these, you should be able to measure within 0.5 degrees of the actual angles.
Old 09-14-19, 09:40 AM
Murray Missile 

Just got home with it about a half hour ago and it is soaking. It hadn't been cleaned other than probably hosing the dust off in a very long time and it had the brown "funk" around the hubs, derailleurs and headset. That had to come off ASAP, it will get a disassembly and deep clean later on. I'm going to say the paint and decals are 95% and the same for the alloy parts and chrome. All in all in very nice original condition except for the saddle and he couldn't find the original pedals. I was kind of surprised to see forged dropouts on a Hi-Ten frame and fork. The front derailleur cable appears to be frozen to the housing but it's getting all new consumables anyway. He said he paid around $400 out the door in '78. I kept trying to talk myself out of it but as soon as I saw it even with the brown funk I knew I was bringing it home. The sales catalog is in good condition too, the 3 bikes above this in the line up were pretty nice bikes. No. 1 and No. 2 had Chrome Moly frames and were named after the component groups. No. 1 was the Superbe, No. 2 was the Dura Ace and No. 3, the "Competition" had a Hi-Ten frame but with Shimano 600 components. I'll get some pics later today after I get it shined up a little. I may put a used shifter cable on it and mothball it until Narhay's next Clunker Challenge then do the overhaul when it's done.
Old 09-14-19, 10:39 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
...He said he paid around $400 out the door in '78. I kept trying to talk myself out of it but as soon as I saw it even with the brown funk I knew I was bringing it home. ... I'll get some pics later today after I get it shined up a little...
$400 is really optimistic for this bicycle in 1978. Comparable models were selling for ~$225-$250 US. In late 1977, Bicycling magazine did a road test on the Competition, which was one step above the Prestige, and they stated an MSRP of only $300 US.

When you take the pictures, don't forget to obtain the serial number. TIA.
Old 09-14-19, 12:20 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by T-Mar
$400 is really optimistic for this bicycle in 1978. Comparable models were selling for ~$225-$250 US. In late 1977, Bicycling magazine did a road test on the Competition, which was one step above the Prestige, and they stated an MSRP of only $300 US.

When you take the pictures, don't forget to obtain the serial number. TIA.
Looks like it's actually a 1979, it didn't quite match the brochure as it has both a chrome fork crown and tips, the '78 only listed a chrome crown and the model below it had the chrome tips but not the crown. Yeah, I thought it seemed a bit high too, especially since in the brochure on the model one step down someone has written $249.95. It depends on where he bought it though, he may have well paid that if he went to the wrong store, I've seen it happen. He seemed like a riding enthusiast not a "bicycle" enthusiast so he probably went in with a price in mind not a component list. He didn't seem to know much about the bike even though he's had it since new. I chose not to test ride it until I got it home and I'm glad now I didn't. The front skewer you spotted wasn't the only issue, the jam nut for the cone on the QR side was about an 1/8' away from the cone and the cone was backed out about an 1/8"! Also someone had adjusted the back brake with the rear brake QR open, when I closed it both pads were clamped firmly on the rim. The bars are slightly tweaked on the left side, not noticeable at a glance or when your riding it but if you look at it just right it jumps out at you. I'm also downgrading the cosmetics to 90% after getting the big chunks knocked off it. I'm still very happy with it, after setting the saddle and bar height to my liking it felt really nice and I got the front shifter cable freed up so it's ready for the next Clunker Challenge after a bit more de-greasing and repacking all the bearings.