Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Trainer recommendations for clydesdale

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-16, 02:52 PM
Zleviticus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello new to the forum and had a question. I did a search first but did not find what I was looking for and rather add to an existing post I started a new one.

I am in the market for a trainer. Something that I can use when I can't get outside to ride (with our weather it seems like it will be every day until my life calms down and I get some rain gear.) My overall goal is to be able to do a 50 mile ride by June and then a 65-100 mile ride in September. Last year I was at over 20 miles on my hybrid before winter hit (want to make sure I do the mileage again this year before I upgrade to a road bike). Then with not riding all winter I am back down to struggling with 5 miles. So a trainer would help I would think. LOL

I am not opposed to spending the money on a trainer and want something that can interface with an app to simulate different roads/workouts without much/if any manual intervention. I would like to stay in the price range (or cheaper) that the models below are in.

I am currently looking at the Vortex Smart and the Kickr Snap. Does anyone have any experience with either of these and what makes one better than the other? I am also looking at a cheaper model (kinetic rock and roll) to just get me started until I figure out what I like and don't like. my only concern is with the kinetic not interfacing with anything it will get boring as I have heard that is the major issue with trainers and lack of use. They have spin bikes at the gym with an interface (doesn't change resistance though just pretty videos) but I am hoping to be able to use my bike in the gym at work where we don't have any bikes currently (working on that one).

thanks for any advice you can give and recommendations.
Old 04-28-16, 08:43 AM
bransom

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Since you can afford it, either the Snap or Vortex would be a better choice than a dumb trainer as both allow you to tie into Zwift or other online training sites. Riding the trainer is, for me, excruciatingly boring but doing it while riding with Zwift makes it less so. I bought the Snap and am very happy with it.

If you want to read reviews of both units, go here (dcrainmaker.com) and do a search. There's a trainer roundup review from this past winter that covers the pros and cons of each unit.
Old 04-28-16, 09:05 AM
Zleviticus

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks. I looked at his site earlier and saw a couple reviews. I'll hit it again and see if I can find some more in depth things I am looking for. Thanks for answering my question.