Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Chain lube

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-24, 06:07 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 205 Posts
Chain lube

I have been using White Lightning chain lube, either Clean Ride or Easy Ride. Honestly I didn’t notice they have several types.
One they have is Epic Ride. This one isn’t a wax lube. It’s a synthetic.
I was reading their descriptions and White Lightning makes all of their products sound great.
Is the Epic better or worse than the others or just different?
I don’t ride in dirt, mud or gravel-just on the street or a paved trail. I try hard to avoid riding in rain. Given all this does it even matter what I use?
Old 05-14-24, 06:41 PM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 49 Posts
This is a contentious topic so be advised to posts waxing poetic about particular lubes.
I have used clean ride and wet ride, wet is really an oil that gets black and gunky like most oils over time.
Clean ride is nice and would be what I would use if you want a cleaner chain that still lubes pretty good.
I suspect epic ride is cleaner then wet ride but still oil based, I would classify it under "different" and IMO can only be found out if you like it by using it.
Likes For slow rollin:
Old 05-14-24, 06:53 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1082 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 773 Posts
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-14-24, 07:01 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 203 Posts
I have recently been using a silicone spray from PB Blaster. The chain looks amazingly clean, as does the cassette and front chain ring. It can be precisely applied to the rotating chain with little overspray and it foams over the links, giving the appearance of good penetration to interior parts. Nothing seems to stick to it. I haven't been using it long enough to measure chain wear before replacement, but it doesn't appear to accumulate the grit (present everywhere I've ever ridden) from which the fine grinding paste is made. Less grinding paste in the chain should result in longer chain life, theoretically. Until that is proven true, the chain is definitely cleaner, if you like that sort of thing. Wiping down the chain and carefully (keep it away from brake calipers and rotors) spraying it periodically is much easier than the regimen of chain waxing. There. I said it.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 05-14-24, 07:16 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by slow rollin
This is a contentious topic so be advised to posts waxing poetic about particular lubes.
I have used clean ride and wet ride, wet is really an oil that gets black and gunky like most oils over time.
Clean ride is nice and would be what I would use if you want a cleaner chain that still lubes pretty good.
I suspect epic ride is cleaner then wet ride but still oil based, I would classify it under "different" and IMO can only be found out if you like it by using it.
I am also wondering why my wax lube leaves black grease on my leg if I touch it leaning the bike over.
Old 05-14-24, 07:24 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I have recently been using a silicone spray from PB Blaster. The chain looks amazingly clean, as does the cassette and front chain ring. It can be precisely applied to the rotating chain with little overspray and it foams over the links, giving the appearance of good penetration to interior parts. Nothing seems to stick to it. I haven't been using it long enough to measure chain wear before replacement, but it doesn't appear to accumulate the grit (present everywhere I've ever ridden) from which the fine grinding paste is made. Less grinding paste in the chain should result in longer chain life, theoretically. Until that is proven true, the chain is definitely cleaner, if you like that sort of thing. Wiping down the chain and carefully (keep it away from brake calipers and rotors) spraying it periodically is much easier than the regimen of chain waxing. There. I said it.
I don’t wax my chain by taking it off and soaking it in hot wax. The lube I use is in a squeeze bottle. I shake it up and spray on the chain while turning it backwards. It’s wax with a carrier that evaporates-supposedly. From the gunk on my chain and cassette, and my leg, it doesn’t all evaporate.
I have found that Fawn dish soap on a damp paper towel will remove grease from my legs easily so I will use it to clean my bike.
Old 05-14-24, 08:29 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18560 Post(s)
Liked 15,978 Times in 7,507 Posts
NFS is the best lube.

/thread
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-14-24, 08:31 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by phughes
IKR. Chain lube should be a sticky, just like helmets.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-14-24, 08:35 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 1,032 Posts
80W-90W gear lube. I had a bottle sitting on the shelf so tried it, been using it for over a decade. It lubes the chain, the links seem to slide easily, what's not to like.
Old 05-14-24, 10:35 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 1,687 Times in 1,085 Posts
Automatic Transmission Fluid... ATF

I use it for cleaning the chain and lubing the chain. I also consider chains expendable devices now days...
Old 05-15-24, 09:06 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 6273 Post(s)
Liked 4,300 Times in 2,409 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I have been using White Lightning chain lube, either Clean Ride or Easy Ride. Honestly I didn’t notice they have several types.
I was reading their descriptions and White Lightning makes all of their products sound great.
I don’t ride in dirt, mud or gravel-just on the street or a paved trail. I try hard to avoid riding in rain. Given all this does it even matter what I use?
I've used Epic Ride in the past and wasn't really impressed with it. It is oilier than the Clean Ride. Clean Ride works fine even in the rain. It just has to be refreshed afterward. But oil really needs to be refreshed after rain as well. People just don't bother.

I am also wondering why my wax lube leaves black grease on my leg if I touch it leaning the bike over.
That's the factory lubricant. You don't have to remove it but the chain will be cleaner if you do. Shake your chain in a Gatorade bottle with about a cup of mineral spirits until your arm gets tired...around 30 seconds. Hang the chain to dry and apply the Clean Ride. I do that upon install and then never clean the chain again.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-15-24, 09:09 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 2,695 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Automatic Transmission Fluid... ATF

I use it for cleaning the chain and lubing the chain. I also consider chains expendable devices now days...
LOL. Similar. Had a leftover from a case of 10-40. Started using it. Works fine.
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 05-15-24, 09:11 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 6273 Post(s)
Liked 4,300 Times in 2,409 Posts
I've used Epic Ride in the past and wasn't really impressed with it. It is oilier than the Clean Ride. Clean Ride works fine even in the rain. It just has to be refreshed afterward. But oil really needs to be refreshed after rain as well. People just don't bother.

That's the factory lubricant. You don't have to remove it but the chain will be cleaner if you do. Shake your chain in a Gatorade bottle with about a cup of mineral spirits until your arm gets tired...around 30 seconds. Hang the chain to dry and apply the Clean Ride. I do that upon install and then never clean the chain again.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-15-24, 09:17 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by cyccommute

Thanks. I will stay with what I have been using.
Old 05-15-24, 09:39 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8405 Post(s)
Liked 9,323 Times in 4,577 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

Shake your chain in a Gatorade bottle with about a cup of mineral spirits until your arm gets tired...around 30 seconds.
Reminds me of the "Shake Weight" episode of South Park.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-15-24, 09:53 AM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 127 Posts
I use FINISH LINE Dry Bike Lubricant. Also, DUPONT Non-Stick Dry Film Lubricant. Both products claim to have Teflon.
Old 05-15-24, 09:53 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 799 Posts
Originally Posted by slow rollin
I prefer oiling poetic.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
IKR. Chain lube should be a sticky, just like helmets.
Chain lubes should not, IMHO, be sticky.
If your helmet is, well, you have other issues.

Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 05-15-24, 10:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6344 Post(s)
Liked 4,945 Times in 3,405 Posts
Don't let the chain lube choices dazzle you with wondering which is best. Just use the lube that makes sense to you. If you find you don't like something about it, then change to some other type.

Some don't need to be used as frequently. Some do a tad better in the wet. Some will help keep your chain cleaner than others. I don't know that any give significantly greater chain life.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-15-24, 10:19 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Iride01
Don't let the chain lube choices dazzle you with wondering which is best. Just use the lube that makes sense to you. If you find you don't like something about it, then change to some other type.

Some don't need to be used as frequently. Some do a tad better in the wet. Some will help keep your chain cleaner than others. I don't know that any give significantly greater chain life.
I avoid oil based lube. They sling off all over everything. If they sling they don’t keep the chain lubed.
I think I first heard about wax lubes here.
I started this thread when I was looking to buy more White Lightning and saw the varieties they sell. The Epic Ride was really different- silicon based? That lead me down a rabbit hole reading about lubes and a pro who uses a synthetic lube.
Old 05-15-24, 01:51 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 132 Posts
Talking about chain lube need not be contentious. Nobody has any miracle lube to boast about. That there's endless lubes is telling. They all work, and they all rather suck in that they are temporary at best.

Oil works fine for me Pepperbelly as I give the rings, chain and sprockets a quick wipe down down after every ride. The number one complaint of oil I see is the accumulated black mess, but do nothing to prevent it. Oil to me isn't just throw it on there, ride and let the expelled oil accumulate. If you've ever used Prolink or the like, I basically use that principle. Lube-wipe chain-lube-wipe chain-infinitum. I often just use WD-40, but sometimes for fun, I'll throw on another oil to see what happens. Motor oil, ATF, air tool oil. Hey guess what ? Nothing rotten happens ! I I wipe it down after each ride, it's oil, these are bikes, it's not complicated. Yes, it requires the time to wipe it down. For me though, I have endless rags, and at this time, it's the "path or least resistance". I've used Clean Ride too, as well as Squirt. Squirt is water based, but it does tend to accumulate some unless excess is wiped off. I preferred Clean Ride mostly because it was easier to apply because it had mineral spirits in it. Then it's very difficult to remove, as in nothing worked for me but a light touch of a propane torch to soften it and wipe it off. I just grew tired of having to clean a new chain, let alone take a chain off to clean at all. Seeing how my chains last as long with the method I use on the bike as they ever did with incessant cleaning off the bike, I'm not going back to doing that.
Likes For Garthr:
Old 05-15-24, 03:47 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Garthr
Talking about chain lube need not be contentious. Nobody has any miracle lube to boast about. That there's endless lubes is telling. They all work, and they all rather suck in that they are temporary at best.

Oil works fine for me Pepperbelly as I give the rings, chain and sprockets a quick wipe down down after every ride. The number one complaint of oil I see is the accumulated black mess, but do nothing to prevent it. Oil to me isn't just throw it on there, ride and let the expelled oil accumulate. If you've ever used Prolink or the like, I basically use that principle. Lube-wipe chain-lube-wipe chain-infinitum. I often just use WD-40, but sometimes for fun, I'll throw on another oil to see what happens. Motor oil, ATF, air tool oil. Hey guess what ? Nothing rotten happens ! I I wipe it down after each ride, it's oil, these are bikes, it's not complicated. Yes, it requires the time to wipe it down. For me though, I have endless rags, and at this time, it's the "path or least resistance". I've used Clean Ride too, as well as Squirt. Squirt is water based, but it does tend to accumulate some unless excess is wiped off. I preferred Clean Ride mostly because it was easier to apply because it had mineral spirits in it. Then it's very difficult to remove, as in nothing worked for me but a light touch of a propane torch to soften it and wipe it off. I just grew tired of having to clean a new chain, let alone take a chain off to clean at all. Seeing how my chains last as long with the method I use on the bike as they ever did with incessant cleaning off the bike, I'm not going back to doing that.
I grew up on motorcycles-mostly dirt bikes. Dad was a mechanic at a Honda shop and we used the chain lube the shop sold. It was oil based and we did have to watch the chain as it did attract dirt, especially sand and the barrels on the chain would wear quickly.
I read about wax chain lubes being cleaner and lasting longer and bought White Lightning without knowing much about it. I got lucky I guess.
Chains are not expensive so I’m not going to obsess over it.
Old 05-15-24, 03:48 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by skidder
80W-90W gear lube. I had a bottle sitting on the shelf so tried it, been using it for over a decade. It lubes the chain, the links seem to slide easily, what's not to like.
I don’t have any gear lube. Would chainsaw bar lube be an acceptable substitute?
Old 05-15-24, 08:23 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1082 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 773 Posts
I don’t have any gear lube. Would chainsaw bar lube be an acceptable substitute?
Put lube on your chain. Any lube. Just lube it. Wax counts if you wish. Honestly, lube it.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-15-24, 09:01 PM
indyfabz

Put lube on your chain. Any lube. Just lube it. Wax counts if you wish. Honestly, lube it.
And don’t spit into the wind.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-15-24, 09:22 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2694 Post(s)
Liked 5,968 Times in 3,062 Posts
Kay why?

Likes For rsbob:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.