Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Passed By E-Bike

Old 06-15-20, 09:30 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Passed By E-Bike

I pass a guy on a very nice electric mountain bike from time to time, always from the opposite direction. But I had an e-bike pass me traveling in the same direction for the first time today. And it was on...wait for it...a multi use trail!

The rider kept a respectful distance between us and passed only slightly faster than I was riding. The world did not come to an end as I was led here on BF to believe it would. I felt no angst. This was right at the bottom of a fairly short uphill section that I don't really enjoy climbing. I'll admit to feeling just a little bit of envy as I watched the e-bike rider switchback up the hill and disappear over the top without moving his legs. I'd prefer to pedal but the idea of having an extra 50% power output would be really fun.

I'll be in the market for a grand baby trailer soon...a little extra umpf would be nice for towing. I find myself on the interwebs looking at electric road bikes from time to time. I'm pretty sure one will follow me home from the bike store one day.
Old 06-15-20, 09:36 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
I have no objection to e-assist bikes. They are great for people who haul lots of cargo/kids/whatever, for older/weaker people who live in hilly areas, for anyone who otherwise wouldn't get out on a bike. However, I have given my wife clear instructions: barring unforeseen medical issues, if I come home with an e-bike prior to my 75th birthday, she is to return it for a refund and put me in a nursing home.
Old 06-15-20, 09:48 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Last summer I was riding up Vail pass. Doing a decent job and passing lots of people. There was one person on what looked like a cruiser that I just couldn't make any ground on. It took me a while to figure it out. E-bike.

I think they're explicitly banned on that trail but maybe some are allowed if they're lower power.

It's not a big deal as long as the rider is capable of handling the bike at higher speeds than normal. I see that as a problem with rentals.
Old 06-15-20, 09:52 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Half the e bikes I see have those silly fatbike tires.... If they just had reasonable tires on them they probably wouldn't need the motor!!!

Ebikes are great though, good getting more people out riding. I see lots of them out now
Likes For Tacoenthusiast:
Old 06-15-20, 09:59 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,947 Times in 937 Posts
The darker side of me wants to force a "competitive" e-bike rider to drain his battery going up a grade attempting to stay ahead of me and force a battery change or a turnaround because they are out of juice.
Old 06-15-20, 10:10 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
A friend rides off road with an individual who can barely walk because he injured his spine severely in a surfing accident, but can ride a bike with e-assist (not a throttle). This has improved his life immeasurably.
Old 06-15-20, 10:18 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I was thinking about a couple of them lately, my wife hardly ever rides because she is a weaker rider. But if she ever passed me, I would be getting one too.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 06-15-20, 10:23 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
Half the e bikes I see have those silly fatbike tires.... If they just had reasonable tires on them they probably wouldn't need the motor!!!
Sounds like a case of tread envy. No motors required

Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 06-15-20, 10:40 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I pass a guy on a very nice electric mountain bike from time to time, always from the opposite direction. But I had an e-bike pass me traveling in the same direction for the first time today. And it was on...wait for it...a multi use trail!

The rider kept a respectful distance between us and passed only slightly faster than I was riding. The world did not come to an end as I was led here on BF to believe it would. I felt no angst. This was right at the bottom of a fairly short uphill section that I don't really enjoy climbing. I'll admit to feeling just a little bit of envy as I watched the e-bike rider switchback up the hill and disappear over the top without moving his legs. I'd prefer to pedal but the idea of having an extra 50% power output would be really fun.

I'll be in the market for a grand baby trailer soon...a little extra umpf would be nice for towing. I find myself on the interwebs looking at electric road bikes from time to time. I'm pretty sure one will follow me home from the bike store one day.
Same.... One day. not today, but...One day
Old 06-15-20, 10:53 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
I was thinking about a couple of them lately, my wife hardly ever rides because she is a weaker rider. But if she ever passed me, I would be getting one too.
I've thought about one for my wife too.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 06-15-20, 11:18 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
eMTBs are great but I already got one of these to suit the purpose of power on demand. Got it cheaper than a new eMTB too.

On trails I only ride it at 10-15 mph anyway, so the only functional difference is that it makes a bit more noise. Modern fuel-injected 4 stroke with a catalytic converter so no noxious fumes or smoke clouds, thankfully.

Though an eMTB won't get as many dirty looks on a MUP as a dual sport lol
Likes For General Geoff:
Old 06-15-20, 11:28 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
eMTBs are great but I already got one of these to suit the purpose of power on demand. Got it cheaper than a new eMTB too.

On trails I only ride it at 10-15 mph anyway, so the only functional difference is that it makes a bit more noise. Modern fuel-injected 4 stroke with a catalytic converter so no noxious fumes or smoke clouds, thankfully.

Though an eMTB won't get as many dirty looks on a MUP as a dual sport lol
That would look really good on the back of my van. I also don't feel like investing uber amount of money to recharge an E-bike out boondocking.
Old 06-15-20, 11:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
Once someone on an E-Bike tried to pass me. I ate his liver--with fava beans and a nice class of Chianti.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-15-20, 11:34 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Sounds like a case of tread envy. No motors required

Great picture and nice to see it in nature, I usually see a pair of folks on the paved mup going 15 mph and looking like they're both having a blast
Old 06-15-20, 12:29 PM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
You guys should see a E-Bike delivery guy in Manhattan wipe out or run into a car door or pedestrian with 200lbs of Chinese food or pizza.
Old 06-15-20, 01:24 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
I was passed by a Harley the other day. No big deal.
Old 06-15-20, 01:38 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I was passed by a Harley the other day. No big deal.
Yeah, if he climbs the hill without pedaling, he's demonstrating that it's not a contest between individuals; whoever can buy the *biggest motor* wins. Not playing that game. Makes me wonder why he's on a trail though - just the fresh air, or does it make him feel like a real cyclist?
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 06-15-20, 01:45 PM
csuperbike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Electric is awesome. 😜😁
Likes For csuperbike:
Old 06-15-20, 01:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Motor Pacing

Faster reflexes, quickly jump in behind them on their back wheel, and get in their slipstream
with less air resistance you can get an easier speed match.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 06-15-20, 01:52 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Folks that get pissy about an ebike anywhere outside of a formal race setting need to get a life. I could maybe concede a groomed MTB trail system too, I'm still 50/50 on that, just from the fact that if you aren't fit enough to pedal a MTB trail, I question if you are fit enough to zig zag and descend a MTB trail system.

For the most part, none of my business how anyone else spends their recreational time or what they choose to commute on, though.
Likes For jefnvk:
Old 06-15-20, 02:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
You guys should see a E-Bike delivery guy in Manhattan wipe out or run into a car door or pedestrian with 200lbs of Chinese food or pizza.
Likely a throttle one, not solely e-assist. Those of us who live in major cities (I’m in Philly) know what a menace they can be.
Old 06-15-20, 02:08 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
You're about a year too late with your admonition, but thanks anyhow. Most of the cycling world has come to grips with e-bikes.

A few months ago, a friend of mine caught up with me on his e-bike while going uphill. He didn't even have the motor turned on.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 06-15-20, 03:07 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
When you got passed, did he give you that "Lance Armstrong Look'?

On one of my brevets last year, this subject came up. We all agreed that while we would not use one ourselves (currently, at least), we didn't see e-bikes as a bad thing. The reason is because it is getting people out of the house who normally would not be able to.

They are ugly, bulky, heavy, and expensive. But the smiles I see on people who ride them as I pass and wave...it's a beautiful thing.
Likes For friday1970:
Old 06-15-20, 03:13 PM
bruceski44

Bikes: My pinnacle bike was a Merkx Titanium with Campy Record.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They make great rabbits! I caught one once on the flat, which made me proud, but then he floored it and there was no way I could match him. He was only going partly open when I caught him, evidently.
Old 06-15-20, 03:31 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
There’s a local guy who has been trying to sell a GeoOrbital wheel, which you put in place of your front wheel, mount a throttle and, hey presto, it’s an electric bike.

I haven’t connected up to try it out, mostly due to the pandemic (and because I’m not really interested in buying it.)

However, I’m intrigued by the idea, for those who might be interested in electric power, of using the same bike with an electric wheel, since the handling will be somewhat familiar and the fit will already be correct.

My only concern with electric bikes is the safety aspect for less familiar users who don’t appreciate the speed and the dangers. I’ve had a few close calls where someone was barely in control and going inappropriately fast, given the curves and amount of bike and foot traffic.

But it really looked like they were struggling so much with everything new about the electric bike that they weren’t able to also attend to where they were going. Also probably new to going that fast.

The ones I’ve seen recently on our shared trails have seemed much more in control and at ease.

Otto

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.