Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Black Friday 2020 Wish List

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 11-10-20, 05:30 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 226 Posts

My eleven-year-old Imac is running fine. But the designed obsolescence of the browsers, OS, etc are becoming inevitably cumbersome. A new 27-inch imac may be in my near future, partially because Blaque Friday is near. No idea if that which is the Walled Garden will bestow a pittance of savings on that special day. I've debated a Mac mini + this old imac for monitor purposes.

I'm not a devout apple fanboi, but I have been more than pleased with the performance and life of this ol' girl. I'm still running the original OS (Snow Leopard, 10.6.8 from 2009) with the Arctic Fox browser. Chrome is 100% uncooperative these last few days. Maybe something to do with me bumping my ISP speed to 100M? And my piano jazz has to run on Firefox while I browse on Arctic. If I don't, utub thinks I'm not looking at the their ads...which I'm not. Some things still don't render properly with this config.
Likes For skijor:
Old 11-10-20, 05:45 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 1,689 Times in 1,072 Posts
Bose Bluetooth portable speaker.
Old 11-10-20, 07:54 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 259 Posts
coffee bean roaster!!!
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 11-11-20, 12:08 AM
gios

Bikes: 1990 Gios Compact Pro - 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 99 Posts
Concept2 SkiErg.
Likes For gios:
Old 11-11-20, 12:40 AM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 1,689 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by gios View Post
Concept2 SkiErg.
Is that? I have no clue. Please explain.. Seriously want to know not trying to be goofy.
Old 11-11-20, 01:11 AM
gios

Bikes: 1990 Gios Compact Pro - 105

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Is that? I have no clue. Please explain.. Seriously want to know not trying to be goofy.
It's an exercise machine. I have their Concept2 Model D ( rowing ) unit - had it almost a year now. The gym I went to ( pre co vid ) had Model D rowing machines so I got to do a try before you buy type deal. Immediately bought one. Heard about their ski workout machine - the SkiErg - and tried that one at the gym also. Long story short, if I bought the SkiErg on Amazon I'd pay hundreds more than directly from Concept2 - so I'm on the wait list which they say is 4-6 weeks long.

Last edited by gios; 11-11-20 at 02:01 AM.
Likes For gios:
Old 11-11-20, 03:19 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3954 Post(s)
Liked 1,718 Times in 1,105 Posts
I'm considering a newer PC, probably a laptop, for modest video editing. I doubt I can upgrade my 2012 desktop enough to be useful for video editing. The quad core is still powerful enough, but it's a mini tower which limits the upgrades. I added a somewhat better video card last year but it's still inadequate even for editing short videos of YouTube quality. Stuff like stabilization utilities in post, or merging videos with GPS synced data, take way too long.

But it hasn't been a priority because my neighborhood will never get broadband. We're still stuck with the slowest DSL in town, technically 10 mbps downstream, 1 mbps up, but usually half that speed. Takes hours to upload a video.

Maybe I'll finally spring for a decent TV. I'm still using a 10 year old Dell W1900, a 19" LCD TV/monitor. It's not bad but my eyes have aged enough that I can't see it clearly to operate the remote, with or without reading glasses now. So maybe I'll pop for a better TV and better interface.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-11-20, 08:48 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Bose Bluetooth portable speaker.
I got a bose portable speaker a couple of years back, they are so awesome!
Old 11-11-20, 09:37 AM
twowheeldesign

Bikes: Raleigh Tamland 2

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gios View Post
It's an exercise machine. I have their Concept2 Model D ( rowing ) unit - had it almost a year now. The gym I went to ( pre co vid ) had Model D rowing machines so I got to do a try before you buy type deal. Immediately bought one. Heard about their ski workout machine - the SkiErg - and tried that one at the gym also. Long story short, if I bought the SkiErg on Amazon I'd pay hundreds more than directly from Concept2 - so I'm on the wait list which they say is 4-6 weeks long.

It will be worth the wait! SkiErgs are a killer workout for the upper body, doesn't take long to tire yourself out!
Old 12-16-20, 01:02 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by skijor View Post
My eleven-year-old Imac is running fine. But the designed obsolescence of the browsers, OS, etc are becoming inevitably cumbersome. A new 27-inch imac may be in my near future, partially because Blaque Friday is near. No idea if that which is the Walled Garden will bestow a pittance of savings on that special day. I've debated a Mac mini + this old imac for monitor purposes.

I'm not a devout apple fanboi, but I have been more than pleased with the performance and life of this ol' girl. I'm still running the original OS (Snow Leopard, 10.6.8 from 2009) with the Arctic Fox browser. Chrome is 100% uncooperative these last few days. Maybe something to do with me bumping my ISP speed to 100M? And my piano jazz has to run on Firefox while I browse on Arctic. If I don't, utub thinks I'm not looking at the their ads...which I'm not. Some things still don't render properly with this config.
Santa arrived early with a new All-in-One (AIO) 32" HP Pavilion...a Windows version of an iMac. Thus far, I am delighted. Back to Windows. Microsoft REALLY didn't want me to change my default browser to Chrome. Edge isn't bad. Although MS keeps funneling things they think I'd like to read, including ads, onto the Edge home page

Apple let me down by putting out the new Mac Mini which doesn't support Target Display Mode, which would have allowed me to utilize my old iMac as a monitor. Bad move, Apple.