Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Instant pot... and fava beans.

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Instant pot... and fava beans.

Old 12-14-20, 12:56 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 998 Times in 762 Posts
Lately I've started using our IP to make bean&cheese burritos to stock in the freezer for 3 teenage boys. It goes like this:

* 2lb/1kg/4c dry beans (canario or pinto)
* 12c water (optionally salt now or later)
* Pressure cook 1hr, allow maybe 15min or more natural release (or QR, don't think it matters)
* Drain off liquid (or reserve if you want to experiment with 'aquafava' as a vegan alternative to egg whites)
* Reserve ~4c beans, move the rest into a sufficiently large pot on the stove
* Add to the pot 1lb diced velveeta or other melty processed cheese.
* Optionally add 1c sour cream.
* Mash (over heat if necessary to melt the cheese) until you like the texture (I use a wire potato masher, my SIL uses an immersion blender)
* Season to taste with salt, ground chipotle/ancho (for flavor), and ground cayenne (for heat). (Incrementally! 1tsp at a time)
* Fold in 1 large finely-diced raw onion and reserved beans (for texture)
* Roll into flour tortillas. This will fill about 2doz 10" tortillas, the big spoon I use does maybe like 1/2c per scoop? (longer/skinner is better for microwaving than shorter/fatter)
* Wrap in saran or foil or paper towels and stick in the freezer.
* Wait 1 week, and say WTH you guys ate all of those already?
* Repeat

Last edited by RubeRad; 12-14-20 at 01:07 PM.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 12-14-20, 01:04 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Before we got the IP, I started playing with an old-school Hawkins pressure I picked up at Salvation Army. I found the pdf manual online, it might give you some good ideas (mostly Indian). The recipe on p44 "Hirva Masalyachi Bhaji (Vegetables in Green Masala)" is FANTASTIC.

NOTES:
* you probably don't want to make your own coconut milk, just use a regular-size can.
* I don't know if I used exactly the right kind of cardamom, but I found some kind of cardamom in the bulk spices at Sprouts that was already out of its pods, much easier to deal with. I think I used 1tsp of de-podded cardamom seeds.
* I used jalapenos for the 'green chillies', but if you want more heat you would probably want to mix in some serranos, thai bird, etc.
* "Coriander leaves" = cilantro
Old 12-14-20, 02:31 PM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 235 Posts
  • ▢1 cup (225g) dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
  • ▢1 whole head (40g) garlic , crushed
  • ▢2 bay leaves
  • ▢1 (212g) onion , halved
  • ▢1 teaspoon (6g) fine salt for soaked chickpeas (or for no-soak chickpeas - 1 ½ teaspoon (9g) fine salt)
  • ▢4 cups (1L) water
  • ▢1 teaspoon (3.2g) ground cumin
  • ▢6 (17g) garlic cloves , crushed
  • ▢1 cup (250ml) tahini
  • ▢¼ cup (63ml) fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)

Instructions

• Optional - Soak Chickpeas Overnight: Place ½ lb (225g) dried chickpeas and 1 tbsp (17g) fine table salt in a large container. Pour in 4 cups (1L) cold water, then give it a few stirs. Allow chickpeas to soak overnight for 8 - 16 hours.*Pro Tip: If your house is very warm, place container in the fridge to avoid fermentation.
  • Rinse Chickpeas: Rinse soaked or no-soak chickpeas under cold water. Pick out any stones or debris. Drain well.
  • Pressure Cook Chickpeas: Add 1 cup (225g) unsoaked or all of the soaked chickpeas, 2 bay leaves, 1 whole garlic, and 1 halved onion in Instant Pot.Add Salt:-For No-Soak Chickpeas: add in 1 ½ tsp (9g) fine salt.-For Soaked Chickpeas: add in 1 tsp (6g) fine salt.Pour in 4 cups (1L) cold water, then give it a quick mix. With Venting Knob in Venting Position, close the lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position.Pressure Cooking Method:-For No-Soak Chickpeas: High Pressure 60 minutes + Natural Release 20 minutes.-For Soaked Chickpeas: High Pressure 15 minutes + Natural Release 20 minutes.Open the lid carefully.
  • Purée Garlic & Chickpeas: While the chickpeas are natural releasing, soak 6 garlic cloves in ¼ cup (63ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice in a blender for 20 - 30 minutes before blending (*Pro Tip: This dramatically reduces the garlic's pungency).Discard onion and bay leaves. Taste the chickpeas and ensure they are fully cooked. Drain the chickpeas and cooked garlic cloves really well, then set aside the chickpeas and chickpeas liquid.Blend garlic with lemon juice.*Pro Tip: You will want to blend the chickpeas while they are hot.Add drained chickpeas, cooked garlic cloves, 1 tsp (3.2g) ground cumin, and ¾ cup (188ml) chickpeas liquid to the garlic lemon juice in blender.*Pro Tip: If you like thinner hummus, add 1 cup (250ml) - 1 ¼ cup (313ml) chickpeas liquid (adjust accordingly).First, blend chickpeas over the lowest speed, then increase the speed slowly to high. Blend until desired smoothness.
  • Make Hummus: In a large mixing bowl, mix 1 cup (250ml) tahini and mashed chickpeas mixture together.*Pro Tip: If serving the hummus immediately (with no leftover), mix in 2 tbsp (30ml) extra-virgin olive oil for extra smoothness. If not, skip this step.Taste and season with more salt to open up the flavors (for reference, we added 2 large pinch of salt).
  • Serve Instant Pot Hummus: Garnish hummus with finely chopped parsley, freshly ground cumin, and paprika. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, then serve. Enjoy!~ 🙂

Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 12-14-20, 04:14 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

BTW why did it take this long before 'liver' and 'chianti' to show up in this thread?
Old 12-14-20, 09:57 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

This is simplified from this recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi. Apparently as hummuses go, this one is high on the tahini and low on the lemon. I don't bother with soaking or baking soda or ice cubes. AINT NOBODY GOT TIME F'DAT!

* 1/2 lb dry chickpeas (exactly enough to cover the bottom of the 6qt IP with no stacking)
* 20oz water
* Pressure cook High 50min, QR or natural.
* Strain the chickpeas, reserve the liquid
* Add chickpeas to blender/food processor along with
- 2/3c Tahini
- 4T=60ml=1/4c lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2t kosher salt
- FLAVA; choose one (or none):
. 1/2 can~1/3c chipotle en adobo
. 5 habaneros
. 3 bhut jolokia (ghost) peppers
. 1 carolina reaper
. 1 sm bunch basil leaves
* Blend until VERY smooth, drizzling in reserved liquid to reach desired consistency

Makes about 4c of hummus. This recipe easily doubles, but my family couldn't eat it fast enough, it would start to taste funky after a week in the fridge, and it doesn't freeze well (thawed consistency is weird).
Old 12-14-20, 10:09 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Also in general for instant pot recipes, any food you want, just google 'instant pot <that food>', you'll find 5 recipes.

Risotto works well in a pressure cooker; that tradition of slowly adding stock and constantly stirring for 40min is pointless. Kenji Lopez-Alt is
strongly convinced that the myth only exists because of grandmothers who used risotto as an excuse to either keep an unnecessary kitchen helper occupied for half an hour, or as an excuse to escape from the rest of the family for a while.