Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

High tech home gym

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

High tech home gym

Old 12-22-20, 01:55 AM
late

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9909 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 275 Posts
High tech home gym

"The first all-in-one home fitness system and AI trainer, it uses 3D sensors, motion detection and a powerful artificial intelligence to analyze your form, regulate your speed and — that most vital of jobs for a good spotter — keep accurate count of your reps. It’ll even let you know if you’re overdoing it on the weight or if you’re ready to kick the challenge up a notch or three."

Tempo Studio comes with a full 115-pound set of professional Olympic weights and equipment, a 42-inch touch screen, a workout mat, a recovery roller, a Microsoft Azure Kinect 3D motion sensor and camera and a heart monitor — everything needed for a workout whether you’re a veteran gym rat or completely new to the fitness scene. And though it packs a big punch, the whole thing takes up only a 3-square-foot footprint"
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/17/cnn-u...aid/index.html

I wonder if it works.

https://shop.tempo.fit/products/tempo-studio
Old 12-22-20, 02:00 AM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 1,082 Posts
Limited space sounds like a good alternative to a commercial rip off gym.

Last edited by Hondo Gravel; 12-22-20 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Because it is an option.
Old 12-22-20, 02:50 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 9685 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 1,334 Posts
How much space do you need for push ups and jumping jacks? "Jumping jacks forever... begin."
Old 12-22-20, 03:13 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 254 Posts
Another choice for those uncomfortable going to the gym. Quite pricey for 115lbs of useable weight.
Old 12-22-20, 03:17 AM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 21 Posts
Doesn't have enough handles, bars or knobs to hang clothes and laundry on...
Likes For KLiNCK:
Old 12-22-20, 11:26 AM
late

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 9909 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 275 Posts
I have a ton of exercise belts with handles and loops. They're cheap, use hardly any space. The biggest downside is making attachment points, which isn't a big deal.

I've been fooling around with using multiple bands recently. I like the feel of the resistance of 3 bands over one of the same rating.

They make belts to help people do pullups. I cut them and use them for squats and deadlifts and pulling exercises like for lats.
I have 3 that are 1 1/8" and one that is 2". I can hold all 3 of the small ones, which gives me options.
https://www.performbetter.com/First-Place-Superbands

I love the idea of that thing, but between the cost, and what I already have, not sure I would get enough use out of it.

Last edited by late; 12-22-20 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-23-20, 02:16 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 1,719 Times in 1,106 Posts
The only home gym I've ever been interested in was made during the 1980s. It used our own body weight, and offered a remarkable variety of exercises. Apparently the clever design was marred by either some quality control issues or pinch points that made it dangerous for the unwary user.

I mostly use empty 10 and 20 lb plastic jugs from cat litter, filled with water, for dumbbell/kettlebell type exercises. Works fine.

Only thing I'm missing is full body weight pull ups. I'm trying to find a pull up bar that won't damage my apartment doorways. I've tried a couple of types before and they can seriously damage the door frames in most apartment and home inside doorways. I'll probably need to use a stud finder and some heavy duty screws to fasten supports to avoid straining the doorway frames.

I'd really like to put up a heavy bag and speed bag. I'm sure my neighbors would enjoy that too.
Old 12-23-20, 08:04 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '87 Lotus Excelle, '85 Centurion Ironman, '75 Schwinn Continental, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Trek 500/400, '89 Schwinn Le Tour, '86 Bianchi Sport SX '12 Trek Alpha 1.1, Ross Central Park

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 507 Posts
^^^ I’m kind of a DIY home gym enthusiast too, but using vintage weight plates from the 50’s & 60’s bought cheap from Play It Again Sports stores. PVC pipe handles and plumbing caps to hold everything together.

Conversely my youngest daughter has a Peloton coming with her Christmas bonus. They’re still in such demand that there’s a waiting list and her argument for the cost is how they hold their value and do not go cheap used. Other daughter wanted a trainer for Christmas and they both use Peloton’s app which is supposed to be really good. I’m glad they’re into healthy pursuits with their free time.
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 12-23-20, 01:29 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,435 Times in 844 Posts
Plus $40 a month to use it. GMAFB.
Old 12-24-20, 10:11 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 819 Times in 269 Posts
Rather pay $10-15/mo at Planet Fitness if I were inclined to go to the gym. Have not looked in a while but you used to be able to find cheap weight sets at the thrift stores. The plates themselves even new aren't too costly.

On the pullup bars.. At work there is an inclined ladder on a cooling tower. But it only affords a narrow grip pullups.
Old 12-26-20, 04:48 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2984 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by late View Post
I have a ton of exercise belts with handles and loops. They're cheap, use hardly any space. The biggest downside is making attachment points, which isn't a big deal.

I've been fooling around with using multiple bands recently. I like the feel of the resistance of 3 bands over one of the same rating.

They make belts to help people do pullups. I cut them and use them for squats and deadlifts and pulling exercises like for lats.
I have 3 that are 1 1/8" and one that is 2". I can hold all 3 of the small ones, which gives me options.
https://www.performbetter.com/First-Place-Superbands

I love the idea of that thing, but between the cost, and what I already have, not sure I would get enough use out of it.

Do you use kettlebells?
Old 12-26-20, 05:31 PM
Seattle Forrest

Quoted: 13414 Post(s)
Liked 4,700 Times in 2,640 Posts
The text about the software sounds like it's meant to dazzle people into buying.
Old 12-26-20, 07:50 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Old fashion barbells and dumbbells the way it was done in the 1940s. Human physiology hasn’t changed. Save your money eat right don’t buy the Ultimate Male pills.
Old 12-26-20, 09:18 PM
FXjohn

Old 12-26-20, 10:05 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4898 Post(s)
Liked 1,687 Times in 943 Posts
How is this ANY surprise to anyone, especially right now? Every gym in California has been closed for months. Beyond that,

Peleton or Peleton+, $1,895/2,495 plus $13 monthly
Peleton Tread or Tread +, $2,495/4,295 plus $13 monthly
Wahoo Kickr Bike, $3,500 + your choice of monthly subscription: Zwift/Sufferfest/TrainerRoad, $15/15/20 respectively
Edit: I didn't even know the "Mirror by Lululemon" was a thing, but it's $1,495 + $39 monthly
Edit2: searching for the Mirror, I stumbled across Tonal (very similar to the Tempo) which is $2,995 + $495 for "smart accessories" (bluetooth handles?) plus a whoppin' $49.95 monthly

People have been spending buckets of money on home gym equipment since they invented gym equipment.

Don't wanna spend that kind of money? No one is making you. Don't buy it.

Last edited by DrIsotope; 12-26-20 at 10:28 PM.
Likes For DrIsotope:
Old 12-27-20, 08:28 AM
FXjohn

just get a treadmill and some dumbbells'.
Old 12-27-20, 11:04 AM
FBOATSB 

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 101 Posts
Peloton rhymes with Echelon.
Coincidence? I don't think so.

Last edited by FBOATSB; 12-27-20 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-27-20, 03:11 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2553 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB View Post
Peloton rhymes with Echelon.
Coincidence? I don't think so.
we have a echelon. it's decent but dont know how it compares with peloton.. We dont use their apps though as they are over priced. and poorly made We use Les Mils on demand for most all work outs. They have the "trip" as one of their bike options which is pretty cool. Will be getting a stages bike once we get some extra cash.
Old 01-05-21, 05:57 AM
jatintheexplore
Banned

Bikes: Royal Enfield Continental GT 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a big fan of home gym, especially when you have kids. So always prefer the one next door.
Old 01-05-21, 04:38 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Here is my makeshift torture chamber after a few months I will move the cage back in but for now I just need to build a base.

I follow this book today since I’m older LOL. It is working I’m very sore ....

Great book. Many exercise with good explanations how to lift the right way aka good form.
Old 01-06-21, 09:29 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
I'm decidedly low tech when it comes to workout equipment. I've had a gym membership for about 35 years, but decided to cancel it when Covid hit.
I started perusing the classifieds for a good home multi gym, and this popped up. Lightly used, as in probably not used at all. It was purchased by a rehab clinic for use by their clients, but that use never happened.
So, I got a smokin deal on it and now my workout space shares my work space.
I don't really have room to set up a bike on a trainer, so I hauled out my mini stepper that I used to carry in the truck when I was on the road so I can get my cardio without going out in the cold.
I seem to have become a wimp when it comes to cold temperatures since becoming a senior citizen.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 01-06-21, 10:04 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Trek Madone 2.3, '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I mostly use empty 10 and 20 lb plastic jugs from cat litter, filled with water, for dumbbell/kettlebell type exercises. Works fine.
I've also used old buckets to do exercises, but I fill with them with sand, just in case one were to fall and spill. 30 lbs of sand is a lot easier to clean up than 4-5 gallons of water.
Old 01-06-21, 10:26 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting View Post
I've also used old buckets to do exercises, but I fill with them with sand, just in case one were to fall and spill. 30 lbs of sand is a lot easier to clean up than 4-5 gallons of water.
I dunno about that. Sand doesn't evaporate.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 01-06-21, 10:46 AM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
I'm decidedly low tech when it comes to workout equipment. I've had a gym membership for about 35 years, but decided to cancel it when Covid hit.
I started perusing the classifieds for a good home multi gym, and this popped up. Lightly used, as in probably not used at all. It was purchased by a rehab clinic for use by their clients, but that use never happened.
So, I got a smokin deal on it and now my workout space shares my work space.
I don't really have room to set up a bike on a trainer, so I hauled out my mini stepper that I used to carry in the truck when I was on the road so I can get my cardio without going out in the cold.
I seem to have become a wimp when it comes to cold temperatures since becoming a senior citizen.
nice setup. Plenty of wheels I see. Truing wheels drives me insane it sometimes works out great then I make the wheel worse. I need more practice truing wheels.
Old 01-06-21, 10:47 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,435 Times in 844 Posts
Spilling water is a feature, not a bug when lifting jugs in 105F on the back patio.
Likes For noisebeam:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.