Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

"Cold Wimp" Succumbs

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

"Cold Wimp" Succumbs

Old 12-16-20, 08:03 AM
  #1  
Scubaquarius
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
"Cold Wimp" Succumbs

So my wife is still pushing forward on her Catrike Villager despite the colder temperatures here in NW AR. But I'm the proverbial "cold wimp"... just can't
handle that burn of the cold air going into my lungs and chest.

So, I saw something on a recumbent trike for sale the other day which looked really cool and was apparently for indoor (garage perhaps) training. It was
some kind of stand with a roller which sat under the rear wheel and allowed you to work out indoors on your recumbent trike.

Anyone out there know what this is, if it's any good, and where I might purchase one?

Thanks and Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year,
Scubaquarius
Scubaquarius is offline  
Old 12-16-20, 11:51 AM
  #2  
Notso_fastLane
Senior Member
 
Notso_fastLane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Layton, UT
Posts: 1,548

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 393 Posts
https://www.sportcrafters.com/products/trike-trainers

It's cheaper than my velo, but I can't do trainers, I get bored after 15 minutes.

I'm going riding this afternoon to see how much snow is on the trails. I'll be in the velo though, so it's not as bad as being fully out in the air. I'm also a cold wimp, originally from AZ.
Notso_fastLane is offline  
Old 12-16-20, 12:00 PM
  #3  
Scubaquarius
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane View Post
https://www.sportcrafters.com/products/trike-trainers

It's cheaper than my velo, but I can't do trainers, I get bored after 15 minutes.

I'm going riding this afternoon to see how much snow is on the trails. I'll be in the velo though, so it's not as bad as being fully out in the air. I'm also a cold wimp, originally from AZ.
Thanks so much for the link... exactly what I was looking for. Have a great ride today!

Scubaquarius
Scubaquarius is offline  
Old 12-20-20, 05:25 PM
  #4  
FREEBIRD1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
I went out today on my v-rex for about 9 miles, sun was out but it was about 36F, a little chilly. I was still pretty comfortable with a head sock and layered jackets, not too bad and nice to be out. Next year I plan on outfitting one of my bikes with a fairing.
FREEBIRD1 is offline  
Old 12-21-20, 01:24 PM
  #5  
Scubaquarius
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FREEBIRD1 View Post
I went out today on my v-rex for about 9 miles, sun was out but it was about 36F, a little chilly. I was still pretty comfortable with a head sock and layered jackets, not too bad and nice to be out. Next year I plan on outfitting one of my bikes with a fairing.
It's that cold air going in out of my lungs that burns... I don't venture out till it hits 50 degreesF. Yes, admitted cold wimp

Scubaquarius
Scubaquarius is offline  
Old 12-24-20, 06:36 PM
  #6  
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Posts: 11,704

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 212 Posts
You can spend as little or as much as you want on trainers. There are magnetic resistance units, fluid, even simple bands. I have a computerized one. I use it to interface with my i-Phone via bluetooth and use it with Zwift to do virtual rides. Zwift puts a first-person view on my TV screen and I ride around the course. When I go up hills or down, the trainer varies my resistance. There are other riders on the course, each one a real person connected and doing their own workouts. It's pretty cool, even though it's still indoors and I still have problems motivating myself to do it.

Most trainers won't work on small drive wheels. Those rollers would. I'm not sure how the resistance is on them, though.
BlazingPedals is online now  
Old 12-25-20, 10:05 AM
  #7  
Scubaquarius
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
You can spend as little or as much as you want on trainers. There are magnetic resistance units, fluid, even simple bands. I have a computerized one. I use it to interface with my i-Phone via bluetooth and use it with Zwift to do virtual rides. Zwift puts a first-person view on my TV screen and I ride around the course. When I go up hills or down, the trainer varies my resistance. There are other riders on the course, each one a real person connected and doing their own workouts. It's pretty cool, even though it's still indoors and I still have problems motivating myself to do it.

Most trainers won't work on small drive wheels. Those rollers would. I'm not sure how the resistance is on them, though.
Thanks for the information.
Scubaquarius
Scubaquarius is offline  
Old 12-28-20, 09:53 PM
  #8  
downtube42
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,596

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Scubaquarius View Post
It's that cold air going in out of my lungs that burns... I don't venture out till it hits 50 degreesF. Yes, admitted cold wimp

Scubaquarius
I wonder if it's just acclimation, or something else. I lived in west Texas for about a year, and I really struggled with the heat whereas the locals seemed fine. I felt like I couldn't breathe in that heat. OTOH where I was from originally in Indiana, riding in the single digits was fine if I was dressed well enough. I've wondered, but I don't have the answer.

Now I live in the PNW, where it doesn't get either as hot or as cold as either Indiana or Texas. It's just wet.

Cheers
downtube42 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.