Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

An economical recumbent

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

An economical recumbent

Old 08-29-20, 11:46 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
I bought my present Ryan Vanguard for $350 several years ago and have been piling the miles up on it. A previous owner had worn out the Shimano rear hub. I replaced that and put a used Craigslist 180mm triple chainring crankset up front and away I went. Over time I switched to a 10 speed cassette in back with a Shimano MTB derailleur and Microshift bar end shifters. As some one noted above the bike starts costing pennies per mile as the riding miles pile up. I love doing my own mechanic work and build my own wheels and this keeps costs down. You can find good used bicycles for low costs and start your recumbent journey. Good luck.
Old 08-30-20, 06:12 AM
skier

Bikes: Performer X-Low, Catrike Trail, Windcheetah Club Sport, HPV Grasshopper, FAW+ Velomobile (under construction)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
Is there any way to get a decent setup for q reasonable price?
What do you define as a reasonable price?
Old 09-03-20, 02:58 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I have 4 recumbents. Two BikeE, one BikeE2 (tandem) and a Lightning Phantom. Yes all of them are about 20 years old but still work great. In average I spent between $100 and $300 per bike. And yes there was bit of TLC needed on each bike but only minor things such as tires, gear adjustment. And of course I did some modifications to make them fit my specific needs.
A few weeks ago I also bought a 2008 26" Bacchetta Strada which I paid $225 for. The bike was in excellent shape but unfortunately I had to sell it again because it just did not fit me size wise.
So yes there are reasonable used recumbent bikes out there. But one has to be patient. Where I live, two wheel recumbents have fallen out of fashion and used ones are rare.

Last edited by Harhir; 09-03-20 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-03-20, 09:44 PM
unikid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by tim24k
I just bought a used recumbent tandem in good shape for $350 off Craigslist.
Please share details