Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shimming 25mm handlebars to a 26mm stem

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-13-20, 10:16 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 119 Posts

This may or may not be of interest to anyone, but I recently had to shim a set of older 25mm French handlebars to fit a modern 26mm Nitto stem (part of a LeJeune project that's about done; I will post a few photos by and by). The standard 25.4-to-26 shims were obviously too thin, and I didn't want to go the beer-can route. So I obtained a 25.4 to 26.4 seatpost shim. It fit very nicely into the stem handlebar clamp, allowing me to neatly trace the shape of the clamp area with a fine-point Sharpie.

At only a half-millimeter thick, the material was pretty flimsy, so to cut it neatly I slid it onto a piece of one-inch dowel, taped it in place, and cut along the lines with a jeweler's saw. Cleaned up the cut lines with some fine emery paper, and put it in place in the stem clamp, with the slot in the one-piece shim aligned with the slot in the handbar clamp. Inserted the bars, tightened bolt. It's about perfect--even on minute examination it's hard to see that the bar has been shimmed.

Okay, that's it. I doubt that I'm the first one to do this. It's not rocket surgery, but I thought it was kind of neat.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 07-13-20, 02:41 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 557 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3678 Post(s)
Liked 1,099 Times in 819 Posts
Always nice to hear about successful project completion, regardless of how small, Enjoy.
Old 07-13-20, 03:50 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2310 Post(s)
Liked 556 Times in 400 Posts
That's a small but useful tip for somebody in the future. Sounds simpler, faster and easier than finding correctly dimensioned sheet stock, and then having to roll your own.
Old 07-13-20, 04:17 PM
malcala622 

Bikes: 88' Bianchi Giro. 88' Bianchi Krono. 92' Tommasini Prestige. 80' Gios Torino. 83' Basso Gap

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 395 Posts
I may need this in the future if I should build another funny bike. The Scott aero bars have a 25.0 clamp and itd be nice to pair it with a 26.0 stem.

Last edited by malcala622; 07-13-20 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-13-20, 04:45 PM
agnewton

Bikes: Peugeot UO-10, '78; Fuji Sp.RR, '73, mixte '75

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara View Post
This may or may not be of interest to anyone, but I recently had to shim a set of older 25mm French handlebars to fit a modern 26mm Nitto stem (part of a LeJeune project that's about done; I will post a few photos by and by). The standard 25.4-to-26 shims were obviously too thin, and I didn't want to go the beer-can route. So I obtained a 25.4 to 26.4 seatpost shim. It fit very nicely into the stem handlebar clamp, allowing me to neatly trace the shape of the clamp area with a fine-point Sharpie.

At only a half-millimeter thick, the material was pretty flimsy, so to cut it neatly I slid it onto a piece of one-inch dowel, taped it in place, and cut along the lines with a jeweler's saw. Cleaned up the cut lines with some fine emery paper, and put it in place in the stem clamp, with the slot in the one-piece shim aligned with the slot in the handbar clamp. Inserted the bars, tightened bolt. It's about perfect--even on minute examination it's hard to see that the bar has been shimmed.

Okay, that's it. I doubt that I'm the first one to do this. It's not rocket surgery, but I thought it was kind of neat.
Useful and neat. The kind of solution that I am going to need someday and glad to find it shared on the forums.

Now, if only there were a similar trick to fit 26.0 mm bars into 25.0 mm stems.
Likes For agnewton:
Old 07-13-20, 05:19 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 186 Posts
I'm sure I saw negative thickness shims on Sheldon's site.

All the reviews were positive.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 07-13-20, 06:16 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 219 Posts
A true craftsman, Jon.
I am too impatient, and go the beer can/utility knife route sometimes even skipping the sharpie step... (This may belong in the confessions thread.)
But now that I know a better way, moving forward, I may have to buy a few shims.

Drat you jonwvara. You've ruined beer can shims (except in emergencies) for me, for ever...

"Drat" was another Dix "ism" I had forgotten - till just now. Cheers, Eric

Last edited by Last ride 76; 07-13-20 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Correcting the auto-correct...
Old 07-13-20, 10:11 PM
bulgie
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by malcala622 View Post
I may need this in the future if I should build another funny bike. The Scott aero bars have a 25.0 clamp and itd be nice to pair it with a 26.0 stem.
Remember when Lemond used Coke-can shims to hold his aero bars in the TdF? I think it was 1989.

That may have been back when Coca-Cola was an official sponsor, so he may have been required to use Coke cans -- no beercan shims allowed!

To Jon V: thanks for the tip, hope I remember it next time I need it!

Mark B in Seattle
Likes For bulgie:
Old 07-13-20, 10:18 PM
malcala622 

Bikes: 88' Bianchi Giro. 88' Bianchi Krono. 92' Tommasini Prestige. 80' Gios Torino. 83' Basso Gap

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie View Post
Remember when Lemond used Coke-can shims to hold his aero bars in the TdF? I think it was 1989.

That may have been back when Coca-Cola was an official sponsor, so he may have been required to use Coke cans -- no beercan shims allowed!

To Jon V: thanks for the tip, hope I remember it next time I need it!

Mark B in Seattle
Do I remember?!?!....No not at all I was barely past my first birthday.

Old 07-14-20, 01:34 AM
bulgie
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by malcala622 View Post
Do I remember?!?!....No not at all I was barely past my first birthday.
Well, I "remember" the 1913 TdF, when Eugène Christophe broke his fork and had to forge it at the local blacksmith shop himself, because outside assistance was not allowed back then. Remember reading about it anyway. Believe it or not, 1913 is a few years before I was born, practically no time at all in the cosmic scheme of things.

-mb
Likes For bulgie: