Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

does anyone roast their own coffee beans?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 10-24-20, 12:15 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 259 Posts

So I have turned into a sort of coffee snob or so my wife says and I have been really interested into roasting. Does anyone do this? If so what roaster do you use and is it as rewarding at I think it might be?

thanks!
Old 10-24-20, 12:38 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 228 Posts
4 years using an air popcorn popper, 5 years on a Behmor. There's no comparison, and no going back. Yes, it's worth it. As hobbies go, it's cheap and worthwhile.
Likes For skijor:
Old 10-24-20, 04:15 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by skijor View Post
4 years using an air popcorn popper, 5 years on a Behmor. There's no comparison, and no going back. Yes, it's worth it. As hobbies go, it's cheap and worthwhile.
can you tell me about the roaster you use now?
I am looking at getting one but the choices are great I don't feel. I am sure home roasters are a small market but I don't want to get a bad version. I don't even know how much I should be spending to get a good one?!

Confused right now....
Old 10-24-20, 04:58 PM
hazetguy 
I GOT THE MICROWAVE!

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 550 Posts
https://www.sweetmarias.com/
https://greencoffeebuyingclub.com/
CoffeeGeek - News, Reviews, Opinion and Community for Coffee and Espresso
plus about a million youtube videos on the subject...

i use a Melitta roaster i found at a thrift store. it gets the job done, but has its limitations. it's not very fine tuneable in terms of heat control.
agreed that once you roast your own, store bought coffee is a huge step backwards.
buy some cheap beans to start with, to get the hang of things, before spending "big" bucks on "fancy" beans.
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 10-24-20, 05:07 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 272 Post(s)
Quoted: 20193 Post(s)
Liked 3,382 Times in 2,471 Posts
...you can buy a hot air popcorn popper at just about any thrift store pretty cheaply. I don't like the popcorn they make, but with a screen wire on top instead of the popcorn collection bin, you can get a reasonable feel for what it's like roasting your own, and you can vary the roast from light to dark (and everything in between) pretty easily. It helps to have a covered spot outdoors to do it, because it blows a lot of chaff from the outer bean shell as they roast, and that stuff blows up and out of your popper.

I enjoyed doing it, as an addition to the coffee ritual. Also, it smells really nice. I stopped because I got to a point where caffeine is probably not good for me now.

I don't know anything about the various roasters now available, but the hot air popper was a huge step up from oven roasting in a cast iron skillet. (which I have also done.)
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 10-24-20, 05:30 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 625 Posts
Metal bowl. Heat gun.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-24-20, 06:34 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
Metal bowl. Heat gun.
I am sure this works fine and the popcorn popper works fine too, but I am looking to get a legit specific machine made for bean roasting.
Old 10-24-20, 06:35 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by hazetguy View Post
https://www.sweetmarias.com/
https://greencoffeebuyingclub.com/
CoffeeGeek - News, Reviews, Opinion and Community for Coffee and Espresso
plus about a million youtube videos on the subject...

i use a Melitta roaster i found at a thrift store. it gets the job done, but has its limitations. it's not very fine tuneable in terms of heat control.
agreed that once you roast your own, store bought coffee is a huge step backwards.
buy some cheap beans to start with, to get the hang of things, before spending "big" bucks on "fancy" beans.
thanks for the links and advice
Old 10-24-20, 09:07 PM
skijor
on by

Match your budget to the rate you'll go through beans.
For example, I roast 350g every 10 days or so. That amount fits comfortably in a quart mason jar.
The Behmor can do as much as a full pound per batch. Several other entry level roasters' capacities are half or less. I tired of having to do 4 or more 70g roasts in the air popper every week. It's time consuming.
It's easy to drop a few thousand on a home roaster. Depends on how much control you desire.
Likes For skijor:
Old 10-25-20, 10:20 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

For example, I roast 350g every 10 days or so. That amount fits comfortably in a quart mason jar.
The Behmor can do as much as a full pound per batch. Several other entry level roasters' capacities are half or less. I tired of having to do 4 or more 70g roasts in the air popper every week. It's time consuming.
It's easy to drop a few thousand on a home roaster. Depends on how much control you desire.
yep, my wife said the same thing. Start small and see if its a hobby your really into after I try it.

I found a Nesco basic roaster for about $75 that does 1/3 pound I think at a time. Not many options but its a good starting point. I go though a 1 pound of coffee every 10-14 days but more in the winter so this will be a good start.

Let the adventure begin!
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 10-25-20, 11:08 AM
ahsposo 
Pounding Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 5092 Post(s)
Liked 2,158 Times in 1,304 Posts
I miss the old title
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 10-25-20, 05:01 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
I miss the old title

yeah I couldn't figure out how to edit that typo.....
Old 10-26-20, 03:26 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2553 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts
I have been roasting for about 12+ years. I started with the Fresh Roast which is sorta like a popcorn popper and an excellent way to get started but you can only roast about 1/4 lb at a time ( I think). I use a Behmor 1600 now It is supposed to do a whole pound but it doesn't About 12 ounces is the best. A couple of things, It's messy and it stinks.
Likes For coffeesnob:
Old 10-26-20, 03:29 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2553 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts
If you are near Midelton there is Burmans coffee traders. Excellent coffee good prices and good man to do business with.
Old 10-26-20, 11:14 PM
skijor
on by

Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
If you are near Midelton there is Burmans coffee traders. Excellent coffee good prices and good man to do business with.
I'm an hour north of Milwaukee. But I've purchased green beans from Burmans many times. Also bought my Behmor from them.
Old 10-27-20, 02:17 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 1,718 Times in 1,105 Posts
I'm low tech. I learned to roast beans on the cheap from the first, and then only, place in San Diego that sold green coffee beans in the 1970s, an old Israeli fellow. He said just use my wok, it would work fine. I don't have a wok anymore but still occasionally roast beans in a stainless steel skillet. It's still much better than ground coffee and most fresh roasted beans.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-27-20, 08:57 AM
skijor
on by

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I'm low tech. I learned to roast beans on the cheap from the first, and then only, place in San Diego that sold green coffee beans in the 1970s, an old Israeli fellow. He said just use my wok, it would work fine. I don't have a wok anymore but still occasionally roast beans in a stainless steel skillet. It's still much better than ground coffee and most fresh roasted beans.
Outside I hope, and with a fan or some such to carry the chaff away while you roast. Some beans have a lot of chaff, others have very little. Either way, that'd leave quite the mess in the house if roasting indoors. I like the smell of roasted beans. But I don't want that smell lingering indoors for days...and it would.
Likes For skijor:
Old 10-27-20, 11:04 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 100 Posts
The Behmor does a good job on smoke and smell, but that's still a factor. I run mine in the basement. have to take the smoke detector batteries out, even though you don't see any smoke. no mess when operating, really. needs a simple-green interior wipedown every 5 runs. this is an art, not a science - you have to learn the "best run" parameters for given beans. 2nd the nomination on Burman, been buying there for years.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 10-27-20, 12:12 PM
skijor
on by

No reason to roast indoors as long as you've got electricity. I've roasted successfully in single digit weather.
Likes For skijor:
Old 10-27-20, 01:23 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 996 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...you can buy a hot air popcorn popper at just about any thrift store pretty cheaply. I don't like the popcorn they make, but with a screen wire on top instead of the popcorn collection bin, you can get a reasonable feel for what it's like roasting your own, and you can vary the roast from light to dark (and everything in between) pretty easily. It helps to have a covered spot outdoors to do it, because it blows a lot of chaff from the outer bean shell as they roast, and that stuff blows up and out of your popper.
I don't know anything about the various roasters now available, but the hot air popper was a huge step up from oven roasting in a cast iron skillet. (which I have also done.)[/QUOTE]
I've been looking in my local Salvation Army, but have never seen one.
I don't know anything about the various roasters now available, but the hot air popper was a huge step up from oven roasting in a cast iron skillet. (which I have also done.)
That's what I'm talkin bout! Gimme some more deets on this technique! I even have a propane burner (salvaged from a grill) I could use to do it outside
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 10-27-20, 05:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Outside I hope, and with a fan or some such to carry the chaff away while you roast. Some beans have a lot of chaff, others have very little. Either way, that'd leave quite the mess in the house if roasting indoors. I like the smell of roasted beans. But I don't want that smell lingering indoors for days...and it would.
The beans I got were very low in chaff, and I just blew it away. I didn't worry about the rest. It was still better than pre-roasted beans that were sitting around at the store.

I never minded the lingering odor. Smelled good to me. Even coffee pee smells better than regular pee.
Old 10-27-20, 05:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
...Gimme some more deets on this technique! I even have a propane burner (salvaged from a grill) I could use to do it outside
The reason for the wok, or any tall sided skillet, is to make it easier to flip the beans regularly while roasting. No need for a spatula. Just carefully shake and flip while heating.

It's usually best to stop before it looks roasted to your preference, since it'll continue roasting from retained heat for a minute or two. Pretty much like grilling a steak. After you've done it awhile it's easy.

If the fresh roasting trick seems appealing you might consider an automated doodad. I never use enough to justify another machine in my tiny kitchen. If anything I've eliminated some electric kitchen doodads just to save space on the counter tops and cupboards. The only kitchen doodad I miss is my old Belgian waffle maker, which was 30 years old or more by the time it died. I suppose I could have repaired it but, nah. I might buy another. Hard to duplicate that kind of crunchy texture with anything else. A Belgian waffle maker with bacon strips baked into the waffle is a bit of heaven.
Old 10-27-20, 05:37 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 996 Times in 761 Posts
I also have a tiny kitchen, and my wife is anti-coffee. I already don't own a coffee maker, just a melitta cuptop #4 filter-holder, and use that only on weekends. And I am generally predisposed to elbow grease vs spending money.

This looks like a good place for me to get started:

https://sweetmarias.com/skilletmethod.html
Old 10-28-20, 10:39 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 100 Posts
No reason to roast indoors as long as you've got electricity. I've roasted successfully in single digit weather.
except the one reason... it's friggin cold. <chuckle>
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 10-28-20, 10:44 AM
skijor
on by

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes View Post
except the one reason... it's friggin cold. <chuckle>
Just gotta drink your "roasting beer" before it ices over.
#amateursDude
Likes For skijor:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.