Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

3D printed parts

Old 11-27-20, 05:21 PM
  #1  
Morelock
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Morelock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
3D printed parts

I've been making bits and pieces for folks here and there over the last couple of years, but never really thought of just offering the stl files.

Mainly aerobar related stuff (grippers of all shapes and variety) as well as wedges to angle pads, some complete aerobars ( even a complete base bar... what you do with them once you print them... I dunno) some cleat shims, etc... I even made an aero sensor box.
Besides that, I've got an ok grip on Fusion 360 and some other design programs, so if there was something specific you wanted, I could possibly help with that.

Not looking to make money or anything... just hoping to help get things out there to folks.






let me know if you've got an idea or see something you want a file for.
Morelock is offline  
Likes For Morelock:
Old 11-30-20, 10:23 PM
  #2  
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,908
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 52 Posts
I spent A LOT of time making toe-strap fixings for clipless pedals a couple of years ago. After dozens of prototypes, I feel like I had really solid designs for both LOOK KEO MAX 2 and Dura Ace pedals. Then I ran into the limitations of the materials. Because of the nature of the process, they were prone to sheering between the layers if the stress were enough.

I reached out to a company that could take my files and make 3D prints using metal (which would have been an upgrade), but family and work stuff took precedent and I lost steam.

I even had an idea for a chain tensioner that would be faster to use than screws...but also lost steam.
carleton is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 05:01 AM
  #3  
Morelock
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Morelock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
I spent A LOT of time making toe-strap fixings for clipless pedals a couple of years ago. After dozens of prototypes, I feel like I had really solid designs for both LOOK KEO MAX 2 and Dura Ace pedals. Then I ran into the limitations of the materials. Because of the nature of the process, they were prone to sheering between the layers if the stress were enough.

I reached out to a company that could take my files and make 3D prints using metal (which would have been an upgrade), but family and work stuff took precedent and I lost steam.

I even had an idea for a chain tensioner that would be faster to use than screws...but also lost steam.
I've looked at metal printing services, but they seemed far out of reach (the quote for the extension above was ~$7k in Titanium and ~$2k in Aluminum. Which seemed a bit too steep for a prototype - although I admit I didn't explore it very far or get multiple quotes)

I'm decently handy with composites, I think I could take one of these (structural parts) print them with water soluble filament, then wrap them in carbon/kevlar.
It's a lot of work though, and at that point it kind of just makes more sense to make a either make a 2-3 piece mold, or in the case of the extensions, just take a plaster mold like some of the custom companies do.
That all leads down the rabbit hole of having it approved, safety tested, for sale to the public, etc etc.(Sounds like a lot of work for someone who - similar to you - has a very limited amount of steam )
Morelock is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 08:59 AM
  #4  
WGB
WGB
 
WGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 2,313

Bikes: Astron Corsaro, Fuji Espree and Takara GT

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 164 Posts
Could you print pedal caps. These get lost all the time, especially Shimano 600s. I personally have three sets with each needing caps and they can't be used. I would cannibalize rough sets at the co-op but in the Covid world that's out.

If you can make them, I'd post on the sales forum under c&v. Also, downtube shifter boss covers for the Cyclone and Shimano single post mounts that allow bikes to switch to brifters or barcons can run over $100 for used ones. There's a market for those also
WGB is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 12:15 PM
  #5  
Morelock
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Morelock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB View Post
Could you print pedal caps. These get lost all the time, especially Shimano 600s. I personally have three sets with each needing caps and they can't be used. I would cannibalize rough sets at the co-op but in the Covid world that's out.

If you can make them, I'd post on the sales forum under c&v. Also, downtube shifter boss covers for the Cyclone and Shimano single post mounts that allow bikes to switch to brifters or barcons can run over $100 for used ones. There's a market for those also
Looking at some pictures of the caps, it looks like it would be possible to make some. I would need some exact measurements though

I'm not sure about the shifter boss covers, do you have a link to some. I admit DT shifting was going out when I started wrenching bikes and I have little experience with it.
Morelock is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 08:45 PM
  #6  
gycho77
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Delaware, USA
Posts: 607

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts










i made some 3d printed parts(petg) for my bike.
i never had trouble 3d printed parts breaking.
i always made sure the parts are printed in correct direction so the force doesn’t break the parts.

if anyone is interested in the file, please contact me. I will share the file with you.

- shimano njs strap adapter
- srm pcv saddle adapter(very tight fit, i designed it based on Prusa MK3S)
- srm PC7 saddle adapter
gycho77 is offline  
Likes For gycho77:
Old 12-06-20, 10:20 PM
  #7  
WGB
WGB
 
WGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 2,313

Bikes: Astron Corsaro, Fuji Espree and Takara GT

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 164 Posts
@Morelock and gycho77


I don't have any accurate measurements but I have several caps (as an example I have the Shimano 600 ones). What would it take? I assume each ridge would need to be photo'd and measured? Not sure as never done this before.


As for shifter boss covers, this is a factory original. It was named the Sun Tour cable stop for aero mount. There was a similar Shimano labeled one.





There was a similar Shimano labeled one and it was more elegant.


WGB is offline  
Old 12-08-20, 05:03 PM
  #8  
Morelock
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Morelock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
WGB

I'm not sure about the boss covers. Are they just a cover? The Shimano one looks like the shifter attaches to it... if that's the case I don't think the stuff I print would take the higher stress (albeit others may disagree or use different material) Sorry I'm just not 100% sure.

The caps... I might need one to go off of as often there are little tolerance issues that come up from screen to print. Failing that, a few high res picture from different angles, and the vital measurements (if it plugs in, the diameter of the plug side, the outside, overall length / width - if it's threaded would also need the pitch/etc)
Morelock is offline  
Old 12-11-20, 10:22 AM
  #9  
xiaoman1 
Awaiting Parole
 
xiaoman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Weird Coast City of the Angels
Posts: 3,761

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 459 Posts
Very nice work...I am sure there is a market for the parts you are making....Good Luck!
Best, Ben
__________________
"STAND UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT EVEN IF YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE STANDING"

xiaoman1 is offline  
Old 12-12-20, 01:51 PM
  #10  
xiaoman1 
Awaiting Parole
 
xiaoman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Weird Coast City of the Angels
Posts: 3,761

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 459 Posts
Morelock
Out of curiosity what type of printer/model are you using? A quick look at printers shows prices all over the place.
Any recommendations on an inexpensive/good model?
Best, Ben
__________________
"STAND UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT EVEN IF YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE STANDING"

xiaoman1 is offline  
Old 12-13-20, 11:42 AM
  #11  
Morelock
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Morelock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1 View Post
Morelock
Out of curiosity what type of printer/model are you using? A quick look at printers shows prices all over the place.
Any recommendations on an inexpensive/good model?
Best, Ben
I bought a Monoprice Duplicator i3 (just a rebranded Wanhao i3) v2 - any of those rebranded prusa i3 models are a good place to start for people imo because the support group around them is very deep and they are relatively cheap. The Monoprices and Enders are usually pretty cheap.

If I was buying a printer today the list of things I'd want to answer
- What's the minimum build area I will accept (honestly, this isn't super important if you can do editing work as you can break larger files into pieces, still, a decent x/y and especially z height makes things easier
- has a heated bed (must have imo)
- Automatic bed leveling? (I upgraded to this a few months ago... it's not a must have, but it is a big quality of life improvement)
- Uses Marlin Firmware (a lot of the i3 variants use a Melzi board with Repetier firmware... it works, but down the road if you ever want to open up add ons / more control, you'll want/need Marlin and possibly an upgraded board - you can flash the firmware yourself, but it's a fairly drawn out process if you aren't familiar with arduino's)
- What filament do you want to print with (PLA is about what you're going to be printing out of the box on most things, for ABS you'll need a box to help control temperatures, and also likely an all metal hotend, to print very abrasive material you'll need a more exotic hotend)

I've also been playing with a resin 3d printer lately. It's another option for small parts (the build size x/y is roughly cell phone size) or if you want very high resolution details.
Morelock is offline  
Old 12-13-20, 12:22 PM
  #12  
xiaoman1 
Awaiting Parole
 
xiaoman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Weird Coast City of the Angels
Posts: 3,761

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 459 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock View Post
I bought a Monoprice Duplicator i3 (just a rebranded Wanhao i3) v2 - any of those rebranded prusa i3 models are a good place to start for people imo because the support group around them is very deep and they are relatively cheap. The Monoprices and Enders are usually pretty cheap.

If I was buying a printer today the list of things I'd want to answer
- What's the minimum build area I will accept (honestly, this isn't super important if you can do editing work as you can break larger files into pieces, still, a decent x/y and especially z height makes things easier
- has a heated bed (must have imo)
- Automatic bed leveling? (I upgraded to this a few months ago... it's not a must have, but it is a big quality of life improvement)
- Uses Marlin Firmware (a lot of the i3 variants use a Melzi board with Repetier firmware... it works, but down the road if you ever want to open up add ons / more control, you'll want/need Marlin and possibly an upgraded board - you can flash the firmware yourself, but it's a fairly drawn out process if you aren't familiar with arduino's)
- What filament do you want to print with (PLA is about what you're going to be printing out of the box on most things, for ABS you'll need a box to help control temperatures, and also likely an all metal hotend, to print very abrasive material you'll need a more exotic hotend)

I've also been playing with a resin 3d printer lately. It's another option for small parts (the build size x/y is roughly cell phone size) or if you want very high resolution details.
Morelock,
Many thanks for all of the useful information, I am considering one in the near future and your insights are helpful.
Best, Ben
__________________
"STAND UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT EVEN IF YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE STANDING"

xiaoman1 is offline  
Old 12-13-20, 10:20 PM
  #13  
WGB
WGB
 
WGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 2,313

Bikes: Astron Corsaro, Fuji Espree and Takara GT

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 164 Posts
Morelock I see your point about the shifter cover, though the shifter cable simply attaches to it and there shouldn't be any excessive stresses on it.

Not sure a simple boy like me can measure it correctly but can I mail you a 600 pedal cap? That way once you have the file made up everyone who has these pedals sitting without caps will be in luck as they can get them printed locally (unless you'd prefer to sell them on here).
WGB is offline  
Old 12-14-20, 08:12 AM
  #14  
Morelock
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Morelock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB View Post
Morelock I see your point about the shifter cover, though the shifter cable simply attaches to it and there shouldn't be any excessive stresses on it.

Not sure a simple boy like me can measure it correctly but can I mail you a 600 pedal cap? That way once you have the file made up everyone who has these pedals sitting without caps will be in luck as they can get them printed locally (unless you'd prefer to sell them on here).

Sure, I'd be happy to work on it and send the file to anyone that needs them. Hit me up in PM and I'll get you the info.
Morelock is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 08:47 AM
  #15  
makkan
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if anyone is interested in the file, please contact me. I will share the file with you.
Could you share the file with me.
makkan is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.